Connected Car not updating GPS coordinates

There have been several times where I tried to update the location of my vehicle and it doesn’t update. On top of that I got connected car so I could keep track of my trips and while it always keeps track of how long the car was on, it doesn’t consistently keep track of the distance driven or the path used. Is anyone else experiencing these issues?

Screenshot_20210720-130843_Alarmcom

Screenshot_20210720-131004_Alarmcom

The only time I personally have experienced issues where the distance driven does not appear is when the trip is really short (under a mile or so) or when the vehicle isn’t in operation for very long (less then a couple minutes). Usually these are one and the same.

When you experience the issue, what color is the LED on the Connected Car device?

• If solid green, GPS is on and the current location has been determined
  • If Flashing Green, GPS is on and the device is searching for a location

I honestly didn’t even look at the device since it’s under my steering wheel. I’ll look at it and let you know. Should it always be solid green even when the car is off?

No, Solid Green is only when GPS is on and connected/verified.

A full list of LED lights and status can be found in the guide below:

How often do you notice the issue and does it occur in the same area?

It it looks like the lights are solid green and Solid orange but I’m still having the same issues. Is there a way to reboot the device? It happens in multiple locations so it’s not always the same location.

It looks like you have two on your account, which one is behaving in this manner? You can shoot us a PM here to keep that information private.

Remote commands can be sent to re-initialize the device which m ay resolve the issue.

So I just went on a 10 hour road trip with the car this is connect to. Part of the trip it worked but another part it just showed 0 miles. I’ll send you a private message with which one it is. I’m beginning to think that I may just have a defective unit. The other 2 units I have are working just fine.

Thank you for the follow up. Commands have been sent to re-initialize the Connected Car module at this time, those should resolve in 5-10 minutes.

You will want to test for resolution when able. Should the issue not resolve, we can try removing the unit from your Alarm.com account all together, then re-adding it.

Do you take the same routes in the other cars listed on the account and do they report correctly reliably?

Yeah, Some of the routes I took were consistent across all three devices. It’ll probably be a day or so before I drive the car again to test.

The other test I want to do is to plug in one of the other units that seem to be working well and plug it into this car to see if I get the same result.

Do you know what the procedure is if it is in fact a defective unit? I bought it from an online alarm reseller since you guys didn’t have it in stock directly. Would I contact Alarm.com directly?

The other test I want to do is to plug in one of the other units that seem to be working well and plug it into this car to see if I get the same result.

Not a bad idea to test. The issue should follow the module.

Do you know what the procedure is if it is in fact a defective unit? I bought it from an online alarm reseller since you guys didn’t have it in stock directly. Would I contact Alarm.com directly?

If determined defective you will need to reach out to wherever you purchased the unit from.

So I tested it a few times. It’s still intermittent. Screenshot_20210805-170236_Alarmcom

Not sure what you want to do next. Didn’t get a chance to swap the units around yet.

There is not Factory Reset function for the Connected Car but we can do a full power cycle, it just takes a bit.

We can send commands to delete it from your account, then after deletion, you will want to uninstall the device and leave it uninstalled for at least a day to allow the internal battery to drain (it has roughly a 24 hour charge).

Afterwards, re-install it and pair it to Alarm.com to test.

Sure. Go ahead. Let me know once it’s done.

Commands have been sent to remove. Give it about 5 minutes or so to take effect. You might need to log out of ADC then back in to see the changes.

Then wait about a day or so before re-adding.

Okay. Cool. I’ll disconnect it and wait for it to drain. Another question I had is one of my other cars had some error codes in memory. I didn’t see an option to clear the codes. Can I clear codes or does it only report? I connected my bluetooth odb connector that I have to clear the codes this time but I was hoping to be able to clear codes from the Alarm.com app.

Diagnostic Codes will report to the ADC app as they are thrown. You can view them from the History page (top Left button on home screen). They will also show up in the Trips page after you click on Cars.

History holds 7 Days worth total or 50 events. Trips appear to go back 2 months.

The historical data cannot be deleted manually but it will be overwritten.

So I did some additional testing. I swapped units between cars and the unit works properly in my other car. The unit I swapped over to the car that hasn’t been working stopped working with the swapped out unit. So it appears to be an issue with my car. It just doesn’t want to register GPS coordinates. It appears to be working otherwise. The only thing I can think of is where the unit is under the steering column is blocking the unit from getting a GPS lock. The only other difference with this car is that it does have an AT&T hotspot built into it. I was considering buying an ODB-II extension cable and placing the unit on top of my dash just to confirm if that’s causing my issue. Let me know if you think I’m on to something. I’m open to any other suggestions.

The hot spot could be interfering with the Connected Car as the ADC-3035L-AT is on the same network. Are you able to disable that feature and test?

The car with the issues, is this Hybrid or Electric?

Okay. I’ll disable and test. It is not electric or a hybrid. It is gasoline only.

Okay. So I tested disabling Wifi Hotspot and that had no effect. I purchased an ODBII extension cable and rested the unit on top of my dash. That worked! Unfortunately I can’t leave a long cable dangling as a solution. So I purchased a short flat extension cable and used velcro to secure the Connected Car dongle further up from where it was originally connected. It’s still below steering wheel but not so far down that it prevents a GPS lock. I tested it today and it appears to be working. I didn’t have to do this on any of my other cars but this car is a Minivan and the connector is blocked by a sizable dash.

Here is the cable:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07K472KCM?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details