Confused about FireFighter

I have the IQ Panel 4 which has built-in microphone. Can the panel listen to an audible alarm from Nest Protect, or do I need FireFighter unit?

Also, does FireFighter notify alarm.com and they dispatch fire department or does it connect directly somehow?

The panel microphone cannot be used as an audio detector for smoke detectors. The FireFighter works with UL listed smoke detectors and actively listens for the smoke detectors temporal 3 cadence (T3). It is typically used with interconnected smoke detectors.

does FireFighter notify alarm.com and they dispatch fire department or does it connect directly somehow?

The FireFighter sensor is designed to listen to the alarm sounder of any UL smoke detector. Once confirmed as an alarm, it will transmit a signal to the alarm panel which if connected to the central monitoring station, will dispatch the fire department.

The FireFighter is purposefully installed right next to one of the connected smoke detectors and is dedicated to doing that one thing well. I think this helps ensure reliability.

The panel would be further away and, with all its other functions, probably wouldn’t be as reliable listening for such an important sound.