Concord to 16-F Migration Questions

Hi there, I’ve just recently purchased a Surety setup (IQ Panel 4 and a 16-F large enclosure) and very excited about hopefully setting this up on my own. I’m completely new to this so sorry for the noob questions, especially where it relates to power. :slight_smile:

I’d like to connect a motion sensor, some window and door sensors, and a couple wireless window sensors. I will use newer wireless smoke alarms and plan to bring on a bunch of Z-wave devices I currently have set up with SmartThings. I replaced all the resistors on the sensor wires with the ones that came with the 16-F and used beanies Jason recommended in another thread (the blue Dolphin ones)

I think I’ve been able to move over all of the old wired sensors over to the 16-F but before turning it on, I had a few questions:

1. When putting the wires into a zone on the 16-F, does it matter which of the two ports the wire with the resistor goes into? I’m not familiar enough with electrical diagrams, so it’s not clear if there’s a polarity that matters, etc. Want to make sure I don’t do something wrong with the powered motion detector, for example (but I think I have it hooked up right)

2. My original keypad was powered by a fairly thin cable (with 4-wires) that went into the Concord panel through walls and was powered there. Is it possible do something similar with the IQ Panel 4 where I connect or splice it to something in the 16-F panel? Assuming no but figured I’d ask to save myself having to figure out another way to get the panel powered since there’s no power easily nearby.

3. The way the Concord panel was powered was over a 22 AWG cable that went into my garage. Each pair of wires were twisted together and wired into the old adapter. Can I reuse this cable and safely splice it to the adapter that comes with the 16-F?

TIA!

When putting the wires into a zone on the 16-F, does it matter which of the two ports the wire with the resistor goes into?

No, it doesn’t matter which terminal it goes into of the two, the resistance is the same either way, though I would do it the same way on all zones to avoid confusion later.

Is it possible do something similar with the IQ Panel 4 where I connect or splice it to something in the 16-F panel? Assuming no but figured I’d ask to save myself having to figure out another way to get the panel powered since there’s no power easily nearby.

Depending on the length of the cable you could potentially reuse the wires, but you must not connect the panel to a power source other than the included plug in power supply. Do not connect the panel to the output of the Hardwire 16F.

The included plug-in power supply for the alarm panel can be spliced onto existing wiring if you want to wall mount the panel and reuse that wire.

As long as the run is less than about 50-60 feet, doubled 22AWG cable should be fine. Use two conductors for positive, two for negative.

The way the Concord panel was powered was over a 22 AWG cable that went into my garage. Each pair of wires were twisted together and wired into the old adapter. Can I reuse this cable and safely splice it to the adapter that comes with the 16-F?

This would also depend on the length of that cable run. How long is that cable?

1 Like

Thank you, Jason!

To be safe, I’ll look at getting the panel’s power cable done by an electrician to an outlet just to be sure I don’t screw something up. Thanks!

The 22 AWG cable is about 12-15 feet in length between panel and plug.

Appreciate your help!

The 22 AWG cable is about 12-15 feet in length between panel and plug.

I would use two conductors for positive and two for negative, and that distance should be fine for the Hardwire 16F power supply.

1 Like