Concord 4 Installation and Power Supply

Do you know if, when installing the Concord 4 Cellular Module (600-1053-4), is the 2-amp power supply necessary? The manual indicates it is, yet when I called Interlogix, they said it is not required unless the panel is already hosting a lot of devices. Is there a good way to determine whether it is necessary or not? Totaling up the max voltage draws from their worksheet always puts me well over the 1 amp the main panel supplies (the cellular module itself is listed as 1600 mA).

Thanks

The panel current supply does not apply in this case. You should not power the Cell module off the panel aux outputs. A supplemental power supply can be used but is not necessary.

It is still wired to the panel GND and bus, but + DC power is pulled directly from battery, not the panel.

See attached diagram. You are not limited to the panel max current this way, as the panel internals do not power the module.

Most of the time, the module is pulling between 60 and 100 ma. So the battery is always recharged.

Thanks, that makes sense. I’d heard some concerns of overloading the panel’s battery charger circuit, but since the continuous is only 60-100 mA, that shouldn’t be an issue. Now I understand why they include a separate wire with fuse and clip connector.

Since I’m adding several other devices to my panel, at what point does the separate 2-amp power supply become necessary? When either total continuous draw or total peak draw of all devices connected directly to panel exceed 1 amp? Or during alarm condition, how safe can peak current draw safely go? (Currently I have 20 hardwired contact sensors and 2 8Z snapboards. I’m looking to add another 8Z board, voice module, glassbreak and fire sensors, and additional siren/strobe.)

Also, what would be the best way to power 24V notification appliances off the Concord 4 panel?

You will want to base it off of max draw.

For that many devices, aux power source will likely be necessary, but keep in mind wired door/window contacts do not use power.

Also, what would be the best way to power 24V notification appliances off the Concord 4 panel

Can you give a specific example of what you are planning, including model numbers?

Thanks. I’d like to add something like the System Sensor Spectralert P2W-P Horn Strobe. It is 12V/24V selectable, but the higher strobe brightness settings are only available at 24V.

Also, it seems the panel only outputs different alarm tones (continuous, 3-beep, rapid for intrusion, fire, aux) on the 8 ohm speaker output. The P2W-P does support coded tones from a fire panel, but I don’t think the Concord 4 supports this on it’s 12V outputs which are just constant voltage when in alarm, right?

Yes, the outputs I do not believe vary tone. To use announcing devices at 24V, you would want to just use a 12V relay with one of the Outputs.

Something like the RBSN-TTL would be good. Just pass a 24V power source through the relay.

Great, thanks. Is it possible to have the 24V power source supervised by the panel? Or with a supervised 12V power supply like the Superbus 2A one, step up it’s output voltage to 24V?

Sure, any supervised power supply would be fine. I would recommend just going with something like the SMP3PM.

Just use a 24VAC power source, select 24VDC output on the SMP3PM, run positive through the relay.

Great, thank you!

Hello…at what point does the separate 2-amp power supply become necessary? When either total continuous draw or total peak draw of all devices connected directly to panel exceed 1 amp? Or during alarm condition, how safe can peak current draw safely go? (Currently I have 20 hardwired contact sensors and 2 8Z snapboards.

You would want to go by peak draw. Keep in mind that door/window contacts don’t draw any power.