Combined CO2 and Smoke for Qolsys?

I am looking for a combined CO2 and Smoke detector that is compatible with the Qolsys panel - any ideas? I saw a first alert one that is Z-Wave compatible but don’t believe that will work with the Qolsys panel. I really don’t want to have to buy the individual Qolsys Smoke AND Carbon detectors due to the cost and the reality of having 2 detectors installed next to each other in each area of the house. We already have a load of individual detectors in bedrooms etc but I want to put a dual sensor one centrally on each floor that would be connected to the panel.

If I cannot find something I am considering going to the Nest Protect instead as this will do both and they will trigger each other should they detect something/go into an alarm state, but this removes the direct integration with the Qolsys panel and automatic Fire dispatch in the event of real emergency.

Thoughts anyone?

Unfortunately I do not believe a combo Smoke/Co detector is yet available for Qolsys.

Compatible security and life safety devices can be found here.

I have suggested combo units to our alarm panel manufacturers a few times, and I would love to see them implemented.

I saw a first alert one that is Z-Wave compatible but don’t believe that will work with the Qolsys panel

Correct. Typically, Z-wave sensor type devices will not be compatible. The panels do not generate alarm scenarios from Z-wave devices.

I will send this as a request to Qolsys. If any info is available on a possible future combo unit I’ll post here.

Is there an updated list of compatible security and life safety devices? I purchased a Qolsys IQ Panel 4 (2GIG & Honeywell 345MHz), and have tried to add a ZCOMBO and it just appears as “Other”.

Here is a link that I found to compatible devices. The PowerG and 345 MHz devices would be compatible with your panel. I believe Z-Wave devices are still unable to generate alarm signals.

How can I get an official answer?

Z-wave sensors are not compatible. Z-wave is only used for automation purposes like lights/locks/thermostats etc.

This is the sensor compatibility list.

1 Like

More technically, what happens when something like a ZCOMBO is used with the Qolosys?

Nothing. It is not compatible and will not trip any alarms at the panel.

Are there any workarounds? e.g. Hubitat / Smartthings connected to Qolsys?

Z-wave sensors will not generate alarms of any kind on the Qolsys panel. Secondary Z-wave controllers cannot initiate alarms on the Qolsys panel. No Z-wave device can do that. Only supported alarm sensors.

That’s rough. The 2GIG Smoke detector is $90 alone and only has a 5 year lifespan. Hard to justify the cost when the ZCOMBOs are $25/each.

The 2GIG Smoke detector is $90 alone and only has a 5 year lifespan

You might be looking at a different site and a different model of smoke detector.

The 2GIG-SMKT8 smoke detector has a 10 year life span.

It is $70 in our store.

Why am I getting these emails?

The original post in this thread was created by you, so notifications would automatically be assigned.

Click the little bell icon on the right to select notification status for the post. You can mute any thread you’ve made to unfollow.

What is the warranty on those devices? If they break 5 years in, does one just have to replace it?

The manufacturer’s warranty on the 2GIG SMKT8-345 is 2-years, warranty period can be found on the product page