CO2 & Smoke expiration date

Greetings:

Recently purchased a bunch of sensors from you, including multiple CO2 and Smoke detectors. These sensors have a 5 year lifespan “from the date of manufacture”.

I buy in December, you ship sensors that were manufactured in March. I have ~4 years, and 3 months remaining. At today’s prices ($76.95), my sensor has lost $11.52 in value before I even install it.

How can we address this?

Thanks.

Tom

PS. Props to whomever handles your packaging - a team of rabid raccoons would be hard pressed to open this box without some serious effort.

Anyone knows? :smiley: I’m interested too!

Recently purchased a bunch of sensors from you, including multiple CO2 and Smoke detectors. These sensors have a 5 year lifespan “from the date of manufacture”.

Smoke detectors are 10 years.

How can we address this?

Typically you’ll want to email customerservice@suretyDIY.com with order questions, however I asked them about this and those dates are the newest that are being received through suppliers. Newer units are not available. suretyDIY keeps a very small revolving stock of items, largely in effort to provide the newest available.

The manufacturer will produce a sizeable number of units over a month or two once or twice a year, depending on demand, as far as I can tell by experience with the products. I do not have a lot of insight into the manufacturing side of things.

Warren i had this problem in the past the life span is dated regardless of the actual units, and EOL is 5 years of the date printed… i received used gc’s once, and the panel would not accept them without a valid date. seems and internal clock cycle is locked in. on an installer date printed on the detector and it does a compare with actual clock. once it expires or even close to 1 year of expiration GC will flag permanently and run continuous errors of “out of date” and non functional, regardless how many times you learn or unlearn or reset the detector now with a way of firmware reissuing a timestamp change maybe that would make it last 10 years. tell me i"m wrong but i witnessed it myself.

and EOL is 5 years of the date printed.. i received used gc’s once, and the panel would not accept them without a valid date. seems and internal clock cycle is locked in. on an installer date printed on the detector and it does a compare with actual clock. once it expires or even close to 1 year of expiration GC will flag permanently and run continuous errors of “out of date” and non functional

A few clarifications:

It sounds like you are referring to the SMKT2, not the SMKT3. I would never advise purchasing an SMKT2 at this time.

SMKT2’s as far as I know are no longer manufactured, have not been manufactured for some time, and they have a 5 year life span, correct.

The SMKT3 we are referring to, which is the replacement, has a 10 year life span. For reference, I do not believe we have used the SMKT2 for about 4 years now.

I would very strongly advise never buying used life safety devices. Life span is just one reason for this.

Also, the panel does not know the EOL of a device, but the device itself will throw errors, correct. I would advise against purchasing any life safety device that is used or an older model in general.

Once your device hits its end of life date, you should not try to relearn the device or troubleshoot. A life safety device past its date should be replaced.