Choose a motion sensor

I’m designing a new system and it’s my first time looking at Surety or Alarm.com. I see there are numerous motion sensors and, as far as I can tell, the only difference (besides price) is the size of the dog it will ignore. We’re planning to get a couple of bigger dogs. What is the right motion sensor, and what are the actual differences between the options?

My default is the PG9914, but I really can’t tell why to choose one vs. another. I don’t need fancy, but I don’t want false positives for dogs.

Thank you!

Hello,

Below are some of the features of Motion Detectors that Surety has for sale for your consideration:

PowerG Pet-Immune Microwave PIR Motion Detector (PG9984P)

• Microwave technology for fewer false alarms
  • Alerts IQ Panel if motion occurs within 49 feet
  • Detects human motion, pet immune up to 40 pounds
  • Compatibility: IQ Panel 2+, IQ Panel 4.

PowerG Digital Pet-Immune PIR Motion Detector (PG9914)

• Alerts IQ Panel if motion occurs within 39 feet
  • Detects human motion, pet immune up to 85 pounds
  • Compatibility: IQ Panel 2+, IQ Panel 4.

IQ Motion Detector (QS1231-840)

• Alerts IQ Panel if motion occurs within 30 feet
  • Detects human motion, pet immune up to 40 pounds
  • S-Line encrypted technology protects wireless signal
  • Compatibility: IQ Panel 2 - 319.5Mhz version, IQ Panel 2+ 319.5Mhz version, IQ Panel 4 319.5Mhz version

2GIG PIR Motion Detector

• Dual element sensor with 30 ft. by 50 ft. range
  • 33 or 55 lb. pet immune
  • Compatibility: 2GIG GC2, 2GIG GC3, 2GIG Edge, IQ Panel 2+ 345Mhz Version, IQ Panel 4 345Mhz Version.

E-Series 2GIG Encrypted PIR Motion Detector

• Encrypted technology protects wireless signal
  • Dual element sensor with 30 ft. by 50 ft. range
  • 33 or 55 lb. pet immune
  • Compatibility: 2GIG GC2, 2GIG GC3, 2GIG Edge.

When selecting a motion sensor for your home security system, especially with the consideration of pets, the key differences generally lie in their pet immunity capabilities, coverage area, technology used (such as passive infrared vs. dual-tech), and compatibility with your security system.

The PG9914 PowerG Digital Pet-Immune PIR Motion Detector is a popular choice for its balance of performance, reliability, and pet immunity, given the planned addition of a couple of larger dogs to your household.

Please note, when considering compatibility, it’s important to ensure the version of the security panel you have or plan to purchase aligns with the frequency requirements of the sensors you intend to use. Different models of the panel support different frequencies, which directly affects which sensors can be paired with it.

Thank you @awsuretycam ! Sounds like the PG9914 is the way to go for me, since l’ll be going with the IP panel and need to navigate larger dogs. Thank you!