Chimes not sounding on GC3e using Smart Areas

I’ve installed a new GC3e panel and have just enabled the Smart Areas functionality. For some reason, I am no longer getting chimes when a zone is open or closed. I’ve confirmed the chime on each zone as “voice only” and checked the volume on the “sounds” setting and all appears to be set correctly. Do chimes not work with Smart Areas enabled?

I have 3 smart areas: garage, dwelling, and all zones.

Thanks

We had another user report something sort of similar with the GC3e but it appeared to be due to using the TAKE-345, and other encrypted versions worked.

I’m curious, are the sensors you are using encrypted sensor models, or the standard 345mhz?

Are you seeing sensor activity in Alarm.com, and just no chime?

Hi Jason,

I am actually also using the TAKE-345 as well and all sensors are working as expected–it’s just the chimes that are no longer working. The only thing that has changed is that I enabled Smart Areas (at least that’s the only thing I can think of that’s changed since not hearing chimes).

I have the standard 345mhz sensors as I currently have a hodgepodge of sensors from adding on to a builder system over the years. If it helps, these are my current sensors:

1 X 2gig DW10-345 (chime enabled)
6 X legacy wired sensors on the TAKE-345 (chime enabled)
1 X 2gig SMKT3-345 smoke detector (chime disabled)
1 X 2gig DBELL-345 wireless doorbell (chime enabled)
3 X legacy wireless contacts (0655) existing door/window contact (chime enabled)
1 X legacy wireless motion detector (0609) existing motion detector (chime disabled)
2 X legacy Honeywell wireless glass breaks (0475) Existing glass break sensor (chimes disabled)

If the answer is to disable Smart Areas that would be my preference since the DBELL-345 is also no longer chiming when someone rings the doorbell.

I’m going to update this system over time but I’m curious about the use of encrypted sensors. I am going to add the new GC3-compatible IMAGE 3 image sensor but I understand that the transceiver required to use the image sensor with the GC3e (XCVR2-345) will disable the ability to use encrypted sensors? I saw this in a customer review of the IMAGE 3 so this could be incorrect information.

I’m not aware of that being a specific limitation, but it may be a bug or setting we are missing here. Can you try disabling Smart Areas? Does that restore chimes?

Unlike the GC2/GC2e, the GC3e 900Mhz Transceiver is an added dongle wired to the terminal block. It does not replace the current transceiver.

You should be able to use the Image3 along with e-series sensors.

On the GC2e, you would need to replace the transceiver, which would remove e-series capabilities.

Disabling Smart Areas under panel settings and including all of the zones in one area (S1) did indeed restore the chimes.

Thank you for the additional information on the GC3e transceiver!

Best,

Matt