Changing repeater question

I have a Resolution products repeater I bought from you. I think it’s malfunctioning. It’s the RE220T

When ingot it years ago, I just plugged it in, attached the antennas, programmed it into the panels and it worked without any further configuration.

With the RE524X I have to learn each sensor in? I watched the video and you learn them into the RE524X, but no next step and no need to learn Those same sensors nto the panel after that ? Currently they already are learned into the panel and function with the old malfunctioning repeater.

Then it it says it locks in 30 days. What if i get new sensors?

It also says that it doesn’t learn or repeat signals for life saving devices. Smoke detectors for example. Did my old RE220t

I’m confused because this installation video seems different than yours. And for only one sensor? If multiple, seems like this would take a long time. https://youtu.be/PNMAwshfnyg

With the RE524X I have to learn each sensor in?

The RE524X translator must learn the sensors that are to be translated or repeated. This is done by putting the translator into config mode and tripping all the zones.

• Press and release the CONFIGURE button to enter translator configuration mode. The yellow LED will turn on when translator configuration mode is entered.
  • Tamper or trip all sensors to be included in the system. The translator beeps for each sensor that is included in the system.
  • Press CONFIGURE button to exit translator configuration mode. The yellow LED will turn off when the translator configuration mode is exited.

Then it it says it locks in 30 days. What if i get new sensors?\

The translator locks the frequency selections and can’t be defaulted, but that doesn’t stop configuration of new sensors of the appropriate frequency. You can add sensors later.

It also says that it doesn’t learn or repeat signals for life saving devices. Smoke detectors for example. Did my old RE220t

That’s correct, neither did the RE220T. Life safety devices are not repeated.

Ultimately you may be better served by using the 2GIG-RPTR1-345 which is a plug-and-play 2GIG Repeater that does not require programming. Especially with a large existing system. I would recommend going that route in your case.

Wow, what a thorough response.

Is the Resolution Products more secure than the 2 GIG? I know neither one is encrypted, but that extra layer of configuring specific sensors seems to lead me to believe its more secure?

No, there is no security benefit really. Both are repeating unenecrypted signals.

There is in fact a benefit to the 2GIG-RPTR1-345 in that you can use more than one.

Typically with repeaters if you add more than one you end up with a signal storm, the two repeaters pick up each other’s transmissions and continue repeating the same signal over and over in a feedback loop.

2GIG’s repeater tacks on a bit of extra data that tells other 2GIG-RPTR1-345’s if the signal has already been repeated, eliminating the signal storm.

A signal therefore can only be repeated once, but you can position multiple repeaters to ensure full coverage if needed. Usually one is enough anyway, but it is an option.

do you carry the 2GIG-RPTR1-345

We do not currently stock that, but it is still available from a variety of vendors online it looks like.