Cellular Module Not signalling 2GIG GC3

Hello support team,

I’m trying to get our system to pick up our radio status, but can’t seem to get a passing test. I’ve taken out and reinstalled our cellular radio module, but it’s also not getting detected.

I’m reviewing pages 22, 56, and 92 of the installation guide, but not having any luck.

If we needed to replace the module, how would we go about doing it?

Happy to assist!

If the radio status fails or there is otherwise no signal, you will want to power down the panel completely, transformer first, then internal battery. Once powered down, open the cell sled door and remove the cell sled. Leave the panel powered down for about 2 minutes, then reinsert the cell sled, ensuring it clicks in all the way. Then power up the panel, battery first, then transformer. You may need to wait about five minutes or so for the panel to fully boot up and for the cellular sled to establish a connection with cell tower. After five minutes, any change?

The environment around the panel can negatively effect its signalling, especially metal, ductwork or large appliances near the panel’s install point. You may need to adjust the panel’s location. Have you tried moving the panel’s install location to get a better signal?

Coverage check tool suggests that you should expect full coverage with a Verizon 3G CDMA sled.

If the above steps have been tried and the module still cannot establish a connection, the module may need to be replaced. We offer the 3G AT&T cell sled as well as the 4G LTE Verizon Cell Sled (this will require a firmware update to 3.1.3 firmware or later)

Hey Tyler,

Thanks for the quick response. I’m very new to this device, how do I power it off?

Thanks,
KS

Hi @KSabin,

To power it off you just unplug the transformer from the wall outlet. There isn’t an on/off switch or anything, you just unplug it from the wall.

2GIG transformer

I’ve followed these instructions (see below) and I still cannot get a cell signal.

If the radio status fails or there is otherwise no signal, you will want to power down the panel completely, transformer first, then internal battery. Once powered down, open the cell sled door and remove the cell sled. Leave the panel powered down for about 2 minutes, then reinsert the cell sled, ensuring it clicks in all the way. Then power up the panel, battery first, then transformer. You may need to wait about five minutes or so for the panel to fully boot up and for the cellular sled to establish a connection with cell tower. After five minutes, any change?

It was working a while ago, but all of a sudden stopped. How would I go about getting a replacement module or cell sled door?

Cellular module sleds for the GC3 can be purchased via our storefront. We offer the 3G AT&T cell sled as well as the 4G LTE Verizon Cell Sled (this will require a firmware update to 3.1.3 firmware or later)

The module ID would need to be swapped on our end when you are ready to make the change. The account owner (it looks like this login is not the owner of the related account) would just need to send a secure message here requesting the module ID to be swapped.

I’ve looked on our unit and it says we don’t have any firmware updates available. Is there a way to see if we already have the 3.1.3 update or later?

Yes, you can tap System Info and Usage -> System Info. The firmware version will be displayed as one of the info fields.

What version does your panel currently have?

We have version 3.0.0 and our unit shows that we don’t have any firmware updates available. How do I get those updates?

Firmware download files for the 2GIG GC3 panel can be found here.

Firmware is updated via USB flash drive. To do so:

• Download the Firmware update file through the previous link and save it to the root directory of the USB drive. The USB flash drive must have only one partition. You will also want to remove all other files on the drive prior to saving the firmware file on it. Essentially the firmware update should be the only file on the USB drive.

• Eject the USB drive, then insert it into the top of the GC3 Panel. You should be automatically prompted to update the firmware.

• Once done, you can check locally to ensure that the panel has updated to the correct firmware version. (System Info and Usage -> System Info)

I’ve attempted to update the firmware with a USB, but it can’t find the cell module. I’m guessing we need to get it replaced. We currently have a 2GIG-CDMAV-A-GC3 SN 154422000497 Would it be best to get the AT&T or the Verizon cell sled to replace it? What factor makes the decision on which one to buy? Once I know, I’ll have my authorized user follow the below steps:

The module ID would need to be swapped on our end when you are ready to make the change. The account owner (it looks like this login is not the owner of the related account) would just need to send a secure message here requesting the module ID to be swapped.

When you navigate to System Info on the panel, what does the firmware now show as?

Should the module still not be recognized, power down the panel completely, transformer first, then battery and remove the cell sled completely and re-insert, ensuring that the connection point is seated firmly. Then power up the panel, battery first then transformer. Once fully powered up, wait a couple minutes and attempt to check radio status (System Settings -> Installer Toolbox -> Radio Status). Any change?

We currently have a 2GIG-CDMAV-A-GC3 SN 154422000497 Would it be best to get the AT&T or the Verizon cell sled to replace it? What factor makes the decision on which one to buy?

When deciding between carriers for your cellular module, you would want to run the service address through this Coverage Check Tool. All things being equal, we see better results with Verizon. Keep in mind that 4G LTE is the newest technology supported by Alarm.com as well.

I purchased a 128 GB USB and downloaded the latest firmware (https://suretyhome.com/forums/topic/firmware-release-information-gc3). The updates hows on the USB, but when I plug it into the unit nothing happens, the USB just flashes but the panel doesn’t show that anything is happening.

The firmware updates on the panel itself does not show that there are any updates available.

We went ahead and ordered the Verizon cell shed and installed it–now it shows that there is no cell shed detected.

Do I just need to power this off again or what’s going on?

When you navigate to System Info on the panel, what does the firmware now show as?

The GC3 should automatically recognize that a firmware update file is present when the USB is inserted into the top of the panel. Is the firmware update file in the root directory of the USB drive? It should be stored in the root directory with no other files present.

The problem may be caused by the size of the USB stick being too large. Try an 8 or 16 GB. Any change?

I was able to make the firmware update with a 3.2.1. However, now I’m questioning if we really needed the new cell module or not. Would I just need to retest by putting the old one in?

Also, how do I ensure that our system is being monitored now that we have the firmware update and the cell module is working?

I was able to make the firmware update with a 3.2.1. However, now I’m questioning if we really needed the new cell module or not. Would I just need to retest by putting the old one in?

You can retest the original cellular module by powering down the panel completely, transformer first, then internal battery. Insert the original cell sled, wait about two minutes, then power up battery first, then transformer. After about five minutes, does the panel have signal or does the original problem persist?

Keep in mind that the firmware was updated so the panel could be compatible with the 4G LTE Cell Sled as it requires that the panel be at 3.1.3 or higher to work.

Also, how do I ensure that our system is being monitored now that we have the firmware update and the cell module is working?

Is the cell module working currently? If so, Which one?

Keep in mind that the module ID (IMEI number on the new cell sled) would need to be swapped on our end when you are ready to use the new module. The panel will not communicate with Alarm.com until the module number has been swapped if you are using a new module.

The account owner (it looks like this login is not the owner of the related account) would just need to send a secure message here requesting the module ID to be swapped and include the IMEI number to the new module. You can use this module check tool to confirm you have the right number before submitting the secure message.