Can you give central station a door unlock code?

I’m wondering if it’s possible to provide the central station with a door unlock code in advance that they will give to emergency services if they’re dispatched. I’m getting more into SmartThings integration, and it should be possible to use an SMS notification generated by alarm.com upon an alarm to tell the SmartThings hub to activate a particular user code on a Z-wave lock. The idea would be that, for security reasons, this code would be useable only upon the panel reporting an alarm, and then central station could provide that code to the police etc. to easily enter the home if necessary.

If not, I suppose a workable solution would be to just have the door unlock upon an alarm (and I believe that ADC’s own Z-wave interface can do this directly), but I thought it would be better to not have doors unlocked if we’re away if not necessary.

Yes, you can add unique instructions for your central station account such as user codes for authorities by submitting a secure message while logged into suretyDIY.com.

and it should be possible to use an SMS notification generated by alarm.com upon an alarm to tell the SmartThings hub to activate a particular user code on a Z-wave lock

This is a really clever automation idea. I might have to steal it :slight_smile:

This is a really clever automation idea. I might have to steal it

Thanks for the response. To provide more detail, I was thinking to add IFTTT’s SMS channel as a phone number to get notified by SMS upon an alarm and having IFTTT notify the SmartThings hub, which can then use that notification as a trigger to activate the user code on the lock. If anyone can think of a simpler way to do this, I’m all ears!

If anyone can think of a simpler way to do this

You could do it with email instead of SMS, but it’s kind of six one half dozen another. I’d be interested to test and see if SMS were faster than email (email can have a latency of 10 minutes)