Business Plan

Hello.

I use Surety DIY at home and am very happy with the service. I’m now looking at putting in a system in for my business. I’m looking for guidance on a few questions:

1. I’ll need around 60 sensors total, placed in 3-4 “zones”. My intent is to have one control panel unit for each “zone”. If this do-able? Any interference concerns?

2. Max distance from any one sensor to control panel would be ~ 130’. Nothing too dense in terms of walls or furniture. Interior walls are standard drywall with metal studs. Some walls have cabling and electrical running through, but again, not overly dense. Would communication trouble be expected?

3. I’m going to need ~ 12 interior and 6 exterior cameras with always-on video monitoring. I understand that there is a video streaming unit available that permits this with 8 channels per unit. So, could I use one of these devices per each “zone” to accomplish my needs?

4. I’m going to need some environmental sensors, specifically, temp and water leak. Any compatibility issues?

Thanks in advance for the information. It will help me with my decision process.

I’ll need around 60 sensors total, placed in 3-4 “zones”. My intent is to have one control panel unit for each “zone”. If this do-able? Any interference concerns?

Just to make sure everything is clear during installation and designing your system, Zone refers to individual sensors or circuits of hardwire sensors. What you would need here is a panel which supports Partitions.

Partitioning is the ability of the panel to have individual partitions armed independently of one another. So as a quick example if you have office users who will leave sooner than a sales floor, you would have the offices on one partition and the sales floor on another partition, and the office can be armed while the sales floor is not yet, on one system.

Partitioning is not available on all panels. For circumstances where partitioning is needed for a business I would typically recommend the Concord 4 panel. There can be up to 6 partitions, which keypads capable of controlling one or multiple partitions.

Some walls have cabling and electrical running through, but again, not overly dense. Would communication trouble be expected?

A sensor signal repeater can always be used to improve wireless transmission for further sensors. The RE524X would be a good option.

I understand that there is a video streaming unit available that permits this with 8 channels per unit. So, could I use one of these devices per each “zone” to accomplish my needs?

The Alarm.com SVR supports 24/7 recording. You can select which cameras to place on which SVR, yes, and latest firmware versions support up to 8 channels. You would need all cameras and SVRs on the same network.

I’m going to need some environmental sensors, specifically, temp and water leak. Any compatibility issues?

The RE119 would be a good option for a GE system like the Concord 4. Avoid Z-wave models as they are not compatible.

Thanks again for the info.

Our building expansion plan is further along and I have a better idea of what we need.

1. System will monitor a total of 60 zones. That number includes two keypads, two Skybells and 11 cameras. (I counted 2 keypads and 2 Skybells in that 60 number.)

2. My keypads will be wired.

3. Our business is subject to some specific requirements, one of which is zones that must be hard wired vs wireless. I’ll require the following wired zones:

• 20 wired motion sensors
  • 20 wired doors
  • 8 wired (IP) cameras; DVR continuous
  1. The three wireless cameras will be configured for live viewing and/or clip capture based on rules.

2. Max distance from perimeter to panel is 170’in a direct line, but cable run will be significantly longer, about 260’. A wireless signal would have to pass through (2) 2" drywall partitions, plastic containers with liquid inside which are stacked on shelves (about 8’ worth), and a storage shelf of metal containers (again, about 8’ worth).

3. Longest planned wireless distance is just over 100’, pretty much a direct line of sight. Only obstruction would be a 2" drywall.

4. I need at least four partitions, 6 would be better.

I have some new questions, if you please:

1. Would you still recommend the Interlogix 600-1040 Concord 4 Commercial Panel? It has been suggested to me that a VISTA 2xx unit might be a better choice.

2. I can’t find information on motion sensors for the Alarm.com system that are compatible with hard wiring. What do you suggest?

3. Does the ADC-SVR100 8-Channel Stream Video Recorder work with hard-wired IP cams? And speaking of cameras, what model(s) do you recommend for both indoor and outdoor use?

Thank you again.

1. System will monitor a total of 60 zones. That number includes two keypads, two Skybells and 11 cameras. (I counted 2 keypads and 2 Skybells in that 60 number.)

Note that Cameras, Skybells, and Keypads are not zones. Zones refer only to security sensors. (Door/Window sensors, motions, glass breaks, smoke detectors, etc.)

I’ll require the following wired zones: – 20 wired motion sensors – 20 wired doors – 8 wired (IP) cameras; DVR continuous

Are the 20 motions and 20 doors the only security sensors that will be used? That would be a total of 40 zones. For clarity would you mind just posting the relevant numbers of security sensors? That determines the number of required zones.

This is important because you will need Zone extenders to increase the wired zone capacity of the panel. Knowing how many actual zones will be used is necessary to get the correct number of extenders. IP cameras are not related to security zones.

I need at least four partitions, 6 would be better.
Would you still recommend the Interlogix 600-1040 Concord 4 Commercial Panel? It has been suggested to me that a VISTA 2xx unit might be a better choice.

The Concord 4 supports 6 partitions. The Vista 20p can be used with a SEM with Alarm.com, but it supports a total of 3 partitions. It simply does not fit your specs.

I can’t find information on motion sensors for the Alarm.com system that are compatible with hard wiring. What do you suggest?

There would not be any specifics on this. Hardwired sensors do not have any compatibility limitations other than power source and intended purpose.

Any standard hardwired security motion sensor can be used. A hardwired security sensor is simply opening a circuit when tripped, and the panel is detecting the resistance increase on the circuit. A good way to find lots of options is checking out the manufacturer websites. Interlogix options can be found here for example.

Does the ADC-SVR100 8-Channel Stream Video Recorder work with hard-wired IP cams? And speaking of cameras, what model(s) do you recommend for both indoor and outdoor use?

Note that Alarm.com Video service is only compatible with Alarm.com cameras. You cannot purchase other IP cameras and use them with Alarm.com.

Compatible camera models are listed here. If you wanted to go with Alarm.com cameras, you would probably be best suited with the ADC-VC825. Indoor/Outdoor wired dome model that supports POE. It can be used with the SVR100.