Bunch of General Questions...

Great site! It has helped quite a bit researching alarm systems. I still have a few issues I’d like to settle.

Is there a good comparison between the 2GIG and the Qolsys systems anywhere on your website? I have gleaned a few facts along the way - let me know if these are wrong:

1. Qolsys can only support 5 video sources. Not sure if this is picture-type motion sensors or full video streaming - I think it is the motion sensor type. The 2GIG is only good for 3?
  2. The qolsys looks like it is getting better, but not “proven” like the 2 gig. For a “set and forget” system in a house hours drive away, I’m thinking the 2GIG may be more reliable?
  3. 2GIG Honeywell wireless sensors have been shown to be susceptible to hacking - qolsys compatible GE sensors not (yet).
  4. The qolsys 2nd panel requires a local Wi-Fi router. Hopefully that will change in the future, but it also is a bit worrying that it’s communications can be snooped and hacked.

I’m a little confused on the garage door automation. I have a myQ system in my current home, so I know it works thru the internet. How does it hook into the qolsys or 2 gig? Or is it just a separate service that is “integrated” into an alarm.com account? If I have no internet - no phone line, no cable - only the cellular in the alarm panel, is there any way of controlling/statusing the garage doors via myQ?

Is there any limit on regular or PIR motion sensors - or do they just count the same as any window/door switch?

And finally, as much as I’d like to buy everything from you guys, I see other vendors offering other items - such as qolsys branded sensors - that you do not feature. Is there something unreliable about those sensors, so you are carrying Resolution Products products instead?

Thanks!

myQ garage and cameras connect through ADC via home broadband service

Surety doesn’t care if you buy equip from them or not. If you can get it cheaper elsewhere, then buy it elsewhere.

Regular PIR’s count as regular sensors limited only by the panel. Image Sensor PIRs are 5 for Qolsys and 3 for 2GIG.

There are plus and minuses for both Qolsys and 2GIG. In my case, I prefer 2GIG, and others prefer Qolsys.

My opinion (pros and cons):

Qolsys has non Upgradeable cell modules, 2GIG are upgradeable (you want the upcoming LTE, or to switch from VZN 3G to ATT 3G… you will have to buy a new Qolsys panel)
Qolsys uses resolution products (and some of those products suck… like the tilt), and as far as I know, doesn’t have their own stuff.
Qolsys requires WiFi for their tablet secondary panel, 2GIG has the TS1 which doesn’t
Qolsys has a T2000 issue with repeater function
Qolsys has a Image sensor upload delay issue
Qolsys has built in WiFi, 2GIG requires broadband bridge
Qolsys has bigger screen
Qolsys uses android gingerbread which has many security vulnerabilities and is an obsolete android platform
2GIG uses Honeywell unencrypted protocol, which is subject to vulnerability
Qolsys uses GE protocol
Qolsys is Limited to a fraction of zwave devices and security sensors that 2GIG supports
2GIG has a much larger zwave device compatibility offering
Tyco has a controlling interest in Qolsys, some see this as a plus, I see it as a minus (Tyco is known for pushing proprietary systems such as Simplex, DSC, and ADT, it is only a matter of time before Qolsys goes the same way)
2GIG is DIY friendly and easy to update firmware on for free as soon as it releases. Zwave gear, and 2GIG sensors, and equip is easy to get, and is available just about everywhere at dealer/wholesale prices (e.g., ebay, amazon, Walmart.com, Newegg, buy2gig, suretydiy, lowvoltagesupply, etc)

Is there a good comparison between the 2GIG and the Qolsys systems anywhere on your website?

We do not currently have a side by side comparison. It really comes down to personal opinion at this point, as you have pointed out they both have strengths and weaknesses. This thread may be worth taking a look at if you haven’t already read it.

Qolsys can only support 5 video sources. Not sure if this is picture-type motion sensors or full video streaming – I think it is the motion sensor type. The 2GIG is only good for 3?

These are the current limits for the Image Sensors, which are different than the cameras used with video service. These motion detectors can take still frame photos.

I’m a little confused on the garage door automation. I have a myQ system in my current home, so I know it works thru the internet. How does it hook into the qolsys or 2 gig? Or is it just a separate service that is “integrated” into an alarm.com account?

It works the same way, but is integrated through Alarm.com, so your automation is all usable in one app.

If I have no internet – no phone line, no cable – only the cellular in the alarm panel, is there any way of controlling/statusing the garage doors via myQ?

Unfortunately, no. It will be set up as it is now, just integrated with your other equipment onto one app. Please note, you can not use MyQ equipment with both the MyQ app and ADC app, you must choose one or the other.

Is there any limit on regular or PIR motion sensors – or do they just count the same as any window/door switch?

They count like window or door sensors.

And finally, as much as I’d like to buy everything from you guys, I see other vendors offering other items – such as qolsys branded sensors – that you do not feature. Is there something unreliable about those sensors, so you are carrying Resolution Products products instead?

True, we are happy to provide service regardless of where the equipment comes from, as Riven mentions. Many of the “Qolsys” sensors are in fact Resolution Product sensors with Qolsys branding, so some of the pieces are the same aside from their part numbers. There are, however, Qolsys parts we do not stock. Primarily, this is due to our offering the equipment we find is most in demand rather than due to quality issues.

Is there a good comparison between the 2GIG and the Qolsys systems anywhere on your website?

This post also goes over comparisons and pro/con lists of the two.

As a follow up to the above, keep in mind regarding 2GIG Image sensors, if you use a Go!Bridge for Broadband backup communication, it must use an Image Sensor Slot on the panel. So it counts toward the limit of 3.