Bluetooth vs. Z-Wave Doorlocks

So… I’m curious… I know there are locks like the Kevo and August and then there are the Smart Kwikset locks (910 model).

My understanding is the 910 kwikset is Z-wave compatible (and thus alarm.com compatible) but the Kevo/August are not (they’re Bluetooth).

Are the 910 kwikset models able to pre-program guests to be able to gain access, or they would only allow me to from my alarm.com app unlock/lock the door?

I do like the idea of being able to setup schedules where guests could gain entry (from what I can tell this is only available on the Kevo/August).

Can the alarm.com compatible 910 be setup to have schedules where users can gain access for certain periods of times?

Also, is there a benefit to Bluetooth over Z-Wave? IS one more secure etc etc.

Thanks,
RR

My understanding is the 910 kwikset is Z-wave compatible (and thus alarm.com compatible) but the Kevo/August are not (they’re Bluetooth).

That is correct, of the 2 only the 910 is compatible with Alarm.com

Are the 910 kwikset models able to pre-program guests to be able to gain access, or they would only allow me to from my alarm.com app unlock/lock the door?

Through Alarm.com one can create users with unique door codes. Those codes can have unlimited access or only work during specific times that you set.

Also, is there a benefit to Bluetooth over Z-Wave? IS one more secure etc etc.

The 910 features Full 128-Bit Encryption between the lock and your panel

So if I had a housekeeper… I’d set them up with their own alarm.com account (so they could click the lock button and lock/unlock)

Then I’d configure that user to have access between 8am-5pm on a specific date…

Is that how it works?

Thanks

So if I had a housekeeper… I’d set them up with their own alarm.com account (so they could click the lock button and lock/unlock)

When logged into Alarm.com, navigate to Users page. Select to Add a User.

You can then name the user, and give them access to lock, panel, or both, and set a code.

Once a code is set, you can then limit the access times to a specific time/day each week.

If you are creating a one time access code or something that won’t be repeated normally, you can instead create a temporary code under the Actions drop down which will only have access within one pre-described period.

Thanks, Jason.

With the lock I bought, it does not have a keypad (deadbolt only). What is the purpose of the code I assign the user?

I’m assuming they’d need to login to alarm.com in order to then unlock the door? I tried setting my wife up, but she never got an email to setup her alarm.com account… would she need to use my login credentials or who would i get her her own account at alarm.com to then be able to use the application?

With the lock I bought, it does not have a keypad (deadbolt only

What model of lock are you using? There are no supported non-keypad Z-wave door locks that are officially supported by Alarm.com. See this page for supported hardware. With Z-wave lights, official support is not that necessary as they are simplistic and most will work. Locks aren’t that simple though and there are gates to functionality.

http://www.kwikset.com/products/styles/traditional-deadbolt-with-home-connect.aspx

It’s a model 910, just without the keypad. I can confirm it’s working through the alarm.com application and connected to my Qolsys panel.

Aha, nice, I stand corrected. Those are not listed by ADC yet, but Kwikset is kind of the go-to for panel manufacturers and new panels are compatible with Kwikset before other models. It’s not necessarily surprising those would work. I haven’t used one of those with ADC myself yet.

Does Alarm.com recognize that the lock does not accept codes or is there still a lock access option under users?

In that case you could create a login that only has Lock Control by going to profile - manage logins. You’ll want to verify service features with your own provider though, I can’t say whether or not anything is different.

This is what I see, there is a access code, but that’s for the panel to disarm…

I am actually curious… if i add a user, shouldn’t they get an email that gives them instructions on how to download and install the alarm.com app and add themselves to my system?

The only way I’ve got this to work for my wife was to login to her iphone alarm.com app with my username/password…

I supposed technically I only have 1 alarm.com account…

Shouldn’t users I add (for example if i gave someone lock access) go download the app… then on their app they’d only see the lock option to lock/unlock?

Or am i missing how this should work?

This is what I see, there is a access code, but that’s for the panel to disarm…

I meant to try giving a user just lock access, no panel access. I wonder if Alarm.com still shows the user code field for that lock as it does all others.

I am actually curious… if i add a user, shouldn’t they get an email that gives them instructions on how to download and install the alarm.com app and add themselves to my system?

Keep in mind we are a different Alarm.com provider and cannot answer questions specific to the provider you have chosen so differences may occur, but no, in general creating a user on the Users page is not the same as an Alarm.com login. Users are for code access and notification recipients.

Under Profile - Manage Logins you can find the ability to add logins to Alarm.com. After adding a username and email, you can select to limit access to certain features like lock access.