Best way to mount PG9935 shock sensor to vinyl windows?

I have several PG9935 sensors I’m looking to install on vinyl windows and a vinyl sliding glass door. The install doc recommends using screws for mounting, as double sided sticky tape would attenuate its ability to detect vibrations.

However it also says to avoid using screws on vinyl windows as it could damage the windows, so I’m at a loss for a mounting solution that won’t damage my windows while still being able to detect glass breaks.

Is there some kind of mounting tape that is thin enough to not significantly dampen vibrations? I’m wondering at this point if it would be better to tape it to the vinyl from its sides so its back is in direct contact with the window frame.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Worst case, once I figure out how to simulate a glass break for testing, I may just try different methods and tapes to see if I can’t find a solution experimentally.

Screws can be used if careful, though manufacturers and window installers may void any warranty on that particular window from screw use. I have heard issues with that in the past.

Tape will naturally dampen shock detection, but this might not be significant, depending on the window. Sensitivity can be adjusted.

I would recommend testing thoroughly in any case, and it can help confirm functionality if you use tape. Just be sure that shock on the far points of the window are picked up by the sensor.

We typically recommend 3M double sided mounting tapes, but most of those at the hardware store run from 10-25 mil I believe. I have seen some tapes which are 3-5 mil, which would be thinner and less likely to dampen shock, but I have not used them for sensor mounting. If you have issues with the included tape, you might try a 3 mil tape.

1 Like