Best way to automate mortise cylinder commercial door lock

I have a glass commercial door with a medico mortise cylinder lock. I’d like to have this door setup with alarm.com through my 2gig panel.

If possible I’d like to not rely on AC power so a magnetic system that requires constant AC power to keep the door locked isn’t my ideal route to take.

Is there another zwave option besides having a zwave switch set to turn on or off a magnet at the top of the door? Any battery operated options like the Yale real living locks?

There is no all in one option for this sort of thing that I am aware of, unfortunately, at least not one I would recommend for a glass front door. That’s not to say you couldn’t put something together, but you would have to weigh the cost/benefits.

You could deliver 12VDC power to a Maglock, the hot wire through the NC (normally closed) and common terminals of a Mimolite relay and a simple relay keypad.

You would need a 12VDC power source, with a 12VDC back-up battery and charging circuit (can be put together for $30-40) This way you have backup during outages.

You would have a keypad electronic lock that you could also disengage with your ADC app (though it would just show up as a switch).

This limits functionality through ADC since it would not show up as a lock. Keypad usage would also not be registered.

Is the OP looking for a battery operated zwave lock with a mortise cylinder?

As for ADC lock compatibility/support…no clue.

You may be able to find it locally Locstar LS8015 Z-WAVE

LS8015 Z-WAVE Lock Feature:

1.Z-WAVE lock, intergrate into home automation, suitable for residential and light commercial environments;

2.Unlock way:

1. Phone/PC unlock via Z-WAVE;

2. Pin code: pin code, #;

3. Mechanical key in emergency.

3.Z-WAVE frequency: 906.42MHz (US) / 868.42MHz(EU) / 921.42MHz(AU)

1. 1 group of master code, 20 groups of user code;

5.Option with five latch mortise and single latch mortise;

6.Modern lever handle, option with reversible handle and hidden cylinder handle;

7.Sleeping mode to prevent illegal attempt after input wrong code 4 times;

8.Low battery alert, when battery voltage is below 4.8V, the lock will alert;

9.4 x AA Alkaline Battery.

I saw a few mortise locks that were zwave compatible. Does anyone have any info with any of them working with ADC?

They are not on official compatibility lists, so that likely means no. Lights are very simple and most should work on a given system. Locks are a bit more complicated. We will double check with ADC however.

anything come of it jason?

Nope, no knowledge of them ever being tried. They are not supported by ADC and have not been fully tested. It is difficult to recommend trying one.

If I installed a door strike and hooked it up to a Linear FS20Z-1 Z-Wave in Wall Fixture Module type device can I have it deliver power momentarily like 5 seconds through alarm.com?

The door strike is always in the closed position and requires no power to stay closed unlike a magnetic lock and extremely little power to operate which I can easily put on a UPS system incase of an outage.

My issue is this is a commercial metal glass door so there’s very little room to modify the actual door itself. The jam seems to be much easier to modify thus my strike idea. It’s also much easier and cheaper then a magnetic lock.

The problem I’m seeing is getting it to work properly with alarm.com sending a brief signal to “buzz” the door open. How would that work and be best configurable?

A strike is a fine idea, but I am not certain the FS20z-1 would be compatible. Based on the manual it looks like it can output 24-277 VAC? However, it does mention the Load must share the same neutral, so I don’t think that would work.

You could accomplish the same thing with the Mimolite I suggested above though on a DC or AC strike, just using the normally open circuit instead of the normally closed.

Alarm.com rules can be set up to automatically turn off the switch after a period of time, but the minimum period is 15 seconds. So you could direct the switch to turn on for 15 seconds and then turn off.

However, this all depends on how you want to trigger the door opening. You cannot manually send a 15 second on-off command. You would need to turn it on, then turn it off if you want to do it manually from the app/website/panel. An automatic on-off would require an automation trigger like a sensor opening. (The 2GIG Doorbell would work.) For the exterior, you would still need to wire up a method of applying power to the strike, so a programmable keypad like I linked above would work.

The big questions are how are you looking to operate the door? Who should get access? When should they have access? How should access be granted?

I essentially wanted it to work the same way I have the 2 yale real living zwave interior doors. I can add users and remove users and they can disarm the system and gain access to the front door of the office.
I tried to put a real living deadbolt on the door but because it’s a glass door there is barely any metal on the frame. (If you have an idea for making that work I’m all ears)

I want my alarm.com users that have control of the AC,Lights,interior doors, etc to have access to disarm the system and then hit a button to I guess send a 15 second pulse to unlock the front door. It’ll have a paddle on the door to open from inside and I’ll probably rig up a momentary buzzer at the front desk so it’ll just be for outside entry when opening up the office in the morning.

I’m looking at something like this so I can also bypass the alarm.com system like you mentioned. http://www.iluselectronics.com/two-relay-keypad-door-entry-set-with-electric-door-strike/
(Most of the systems come with a transformer to step it from AC to DC so I’m not worried about that issue)

For that style door, the only meaningful way you could incorporate Alarm.com is remotely unlocking/locking door by turning the switch on and off in the app, and setting up a sensor trigger like a doorbell to unlock the door for 15 seconds.

Unlocking the door for a specific period of time can be handled by the access keypad for users entering the building. Most of these will have a selectable relay time.

The 2GIG doorbell could be used as your “buzzer” to allow entry from inside (for 15 seconds) but you could always just wire up the momentary button as you mentioned instead.

You would not be able to manage user codes for a third party keypad through Alarm.com. They would not in any way communicate. Remember the only part of this that Alarm.com sees would be the switch and the doorbell. The integration would go no further than “When the doorbell is pressed, turn on this switch for 15 seconds”

FYI for commercial glass front doors they make the doors in different frame sizes. Mines 2" so I’m looking for a 3-1/2" one that’s also a pretty common size. You only need 3" to set a standard cyl lock so that should work.

(Just posting a follow up in case someone in the future has this issue. You can find used commercial glass front doors if you ask around at flat glass sellers, lock smiths, and door companies)