Benefits of Switching to GC3 from GC2

Like many here, I found your website when looking for a “post vivint” solution…freedom! :slight_smile:

My 5 year contract ends in 2 months. I have a GC2 panel, 2 TS1’s, 1 Keypad, 2 doorbells, 10 window/door sensors and over 20 z-wave enables devices… I love me some home automation. [Oh an a ton of devices that still don’t interface with the system, nest alarms, nest thermostat, alexa, etc.)

In anticipation of ending my contract I recently purchased a “Smart Things” hub (still sitting in its box), with the anticipation of making it my primary controller and making the GC2 a secondary controller.

However I am now really attracted to the new GC3, and think I want to buy one from you guys, but before I do… I think I need a little persuading.

Questions:

1. I have always been disappointed by the lag between sending a command from my phone to when it actually happens. I just noticed there is a 2GIG HUB that I could buy to speed things up? Would this hub be needed with a GC3 also?

2. Since wifi has not yet been enabled in the GC3, what short-term advantage would there be to buying the GC3 now vs. staying with the GC2? (I list the disadvantages in the questions below lol)

3.I believe from what I have read… all of my existing devices EXCEPT my TS1’s will work with the GC3 (such a shame). I rely heavily on my TS1’s to provide information on other floors that can’t be heard from the main panel (i.e. front door open, doorbell ring, alarm activations, etc.). Is there another product or solution that would enable me to hear this information on other floors since the TS1’s aren’t going to work?
[This is almost a deal killer… I need to be able to hear the alarm or doorbell from my bedroom… which is a far distance from where my panel is located on my main floor. I know a GC3 compatible secondary screen is in the works… but not offering one up front seems… like a huge oversight without another solution].

1. If I switch the GC3… does SuretyDIY have a trade in program for old GC2’s, i.e “give you 50 bucks toward your new GC3 with the trade in of your old GC2”, giving you the opportunity to re-sell the refurbished GC2’s?

2. If I switch to the GC3… does anyone know of any fun or interesting hacks or uses for the old TS1’s? They are so nice to just throw in a box to become obsolete and dusty. I guess I could sell them on e-mail… but maybe there is a creative DIY project they could be used for (indoor front door camera display?)

6.Stupid question… if I buy the panel from you, do you guys program it to have the Surety CAM logo on the screen vs. the 2gig logo? I think I prefer the minimalism of their logo better… or even better… offer to make custom logos for a cost? :slight_smile:

1. I couldn’t find much about the Monitoring Center on your website. Is that run by SuretyCAM or by ADC? Is their information about centers accreditations, statistics on response times, missed alarms, quality control, etc.? Im surprised there is not more emphasis put on the monitoring center, as they are the link between the system and emergency response. Its important that they strive for perfection.

I think those are all my questions for now. I definitely plan to upgrade to the GC3 at some point, and use you guys as my provider when my contract ends in 2 months (yes I already sent in my written notice to cancel), but I am just not convinced that upgrading at this point will provide much benefit over keeping my GC2 and getting the broadband bridge.

I have a GC2 panel, 2 TS1’s, 1 Keypad, 2 doorbells, 10 window/door sensors and over 20 z-wave enables devices… I love me some home automation. [Oh an a ton of devices that still don’t interface with the system, nest alarms, nest thermostat, alexa, etc.

Nest thermostats have Basic Integration through Alarm.com Interactive Gold accounts. Your Nest account is linked to ADC so remote control of the Tstat is possible. Additional features are being worked on.

Amazon Echo and Alexa voice control, likewise, has just recently been integrated. Here is a post regarding some early user interaction.

I have always been disappointed by the lag between sending a command from my phone to when it actually happens. I just noticed there is a 2GIG HUB that I could buy to speed things up? Would this hub be needed with a GC3 also?

The Go!Bridge is not compatible with the GC3 (uses 900mhz like the TS1 and Image Sensor). The GC3 internal wifi (to be enabled in future firmware) would handle dual path communication.

Since wifi has not yet been enabled in the GC3, what short-term advantage would there be to buying the GC3 now vs. staying with the GC2?

Local control is admittedly a big improvement with the GC3, with a capacitive touchscreen instead of a resistive screen, larger with a better layout. It is largely a subjective choice early on until additional firmware is released to add compatibility and more features. Many devices compatible with 2GIG GC2 are not with the GC3 quite yet.

Is there another product or solution that would enable me to hear this information on other floors since the TS1’s aren’t going to work?

A Z-wave siren like the Fortrezz can handle the alerting portion, but would not chime.

A secondary touchscreen is in the works for the GC3, but no ETA yet. (all panels have had their secondary keypads come out after the fact, so to be expected) There is the PAD1 which offers arming control, but no feedback of any kind, audio or visual.

If I switch the GC3… does SuretyDIY have a trade in program for old GC2’s, i.e “give you 50 bucks toward your new GC3 with the trade in of your old GC2”, giving you the opportunity to re-sell the refurbished GC2’s?

No, we only sell new items from manufacturer.

if I buy the panel from you, do you guys program it to have the Surety CAM logo on the screen vs. the 2gig logo? I think I prefer the minimalism of their logo better… or even better… offer to make custom logos for a cost?

There is no current logo for the GC3 other than manufacturer for panels we sell, at least at the current time.

I couldn’t find much about the Monitoring Center on your website. Is that run by SuretyCAM or by ADC? Is their information about centers accreditations, statistics on response times, missed alarms, quality control, etc.?

Posts regarding our Central Station Monitoring can be found here, and here. Response time info can be found here.

Thanks for the fast response :slight_smile:

I have two homes and two Alarm.com systems on my account.

I have the Echo set up with Alarm.com in my primary home. When I set up the Alarm.com skill, I just had to login using my Alarm.com credentials. Works OK.

I am thinking of purchasing a second Echo for the other home. Any ideas how I will be able to configure it to control my other system? I haven’t found a way that this configuration can be made and I hesitate buying another Echo.

I suppose I can take my Echo to my other home and reconfigure the Alarm.com skill. Perhaps it knows which system based on where it is??

Any ideas?

This is covered here.