Automatic lights when deadbolt is unlocked

All,

I am trying to turn on specific lights when my Kwikset 916 with Z wave plus is unlocked. I think the way this has to be done is to disarm the panel when the lock is unlocked. Then based on the panel disarming turn on the lights. I set these rules up, however the lights do not turn on. I did notice today that there is a message on the panel screen saying something about not being in a state to allow a disarm of the panel. I think that the rules are stopping here and not turning the lights on. Do I need to arm the panel automatically when the lock is locked? Is there a way to do this without arming the panel? Is there a way to make this rule only run when the lock is unlocked from the keypad and not the turn inside?

The first rule, the lock is unlocked and that in turn disarms the panel. The second rule would then trigger off of the panel disarming thereby turning on the lights. The second rule is looking for a panel disarm in order to turn on the light. The panel would have to change states in order for the light automation to work. If the panel is already disarmed prior to the command, the state doesn’t change. The panel would need to be armed prior to unlocking the lock for this automation scheme to work.

Was the panel disarmed prior to unlocking the lock? Did you try arming the panel first, then unlocking the lock? Does the second rule then fire as intended?

Is there a way to make this rule only run when the lock is unlocked from the keypad and not the turn inside?

No the only way to automate the lights related to the locks status would be with two automation rules, the way you have it set up now. Lights could be automated by panel arming status, or by geo-fence crossing as well.

Thank you for your reply. The panel was disarmed at the time the rule tried to disarm it. I think that is what is causing the confusion in the panel. Can I just create another rule to automatically arm the panel when the front door is locked?

I am working on installing a take over panel from 2gig to the wired security system on my house. The windows and doors are linked to this. On my back door there is not an automated lock. If I was to install the take over panel would that set the alarm off if I opened the back door without disarming the panel? Is the only other option to not set off the alarm to install a Z wave lock on the back door?

Another question is how can I pair the 2GIG-TAKE-345 to my GC3 panel? I can make the LED turn on to learn a new zone, but I can not figure out how to connect it to the GC3? Are they compatible?

Can I just create another rule to automatically arm the panel when the front door is locked?

Yes you can! Automation Event Triggered Rule can be created to arm your panel whenever your lock is locked. You can choose the states Stay or Away and choose the time of day, or always, when this rule functions.

If I was to install the take over panel would that set the alarm off if I opened the back door without disarming the panel? Is the only other option to not set off the alarm to install a Z wave lock on the back door?

If utilizing a hardwired sensor at the back door, this would trigger the alarm should the panel be armed. You can always disarm the panel remotely via the Alarm.com app. You can also program entry delay to give you time to disarm the panel locally after entering the back door.

Adding a Z-Lock would allow you to create a rule identical to the one mentioned above.

Another question is how can I pair the 2GIG-TAKE-345 to my GC3 panel? I can make the LED turn on to learn a new zone, but I can not figure out how to connect it to the GC3? Are they compatible?

Yes they are compatible. This video shows how to set up a Take-345 with a GC2 but steps would be similar.

Tyler,

Thanks for your help. I think that I have gotten the take over panel installed now following the video you linked. When I enter the serial number there is a button on the panel that says learn. I have pushed that and what I think is the discovery button on the take over panel, but nothing happens. There is a light on the take over panel that comes on for 8 seconds and goes off. I am also unable to trip any of the sensor zones when testing them from the GC3 panel. Do you think there is something I am doing wrong? I have verified that I entered the right serial number and changed the last digit for the zones.

Thanks,

Isaac

With the TAKE-345, you do not need to press the learn button if you are typing in the serial numbers.

The “Learn” button’s function is to automatically learn the serial number of wireless zones when you trip them. If you are manually typing in the number for the TAKE zones, you would just scroll down once the number is entered and complete the rest of the questions.

All zones on the TAKE-345 should be Loop 1. if they are programmed with any other loop they will not work.

Thank you Jason. I have the wireless zone entered as follows.
Sensor type – 01-entry/exit
Equipment code 0873
Sn number increasing with each zone
Equipment age new
Sensor loop 1
Transmission delay disabled
Voice descriptor door
Sensor reports enabled
Sensor supervised enabled
Sensor chime voice only

I tried to test the wireless zones and I was unable to trip any of them when opening all the doors and windows. Is there a reset process I can try on the take 345?

Just to be sure on the take 345 the serial number is printed on a sticker on the board not in the plastic enclosure. The serial number will also always end in 1 for the first zone. Correct?

There are a bunch of resistors wired into the each of the zones from the original security panel. Should I keep them or remove them from the circut?

I had an interesting event last night at 2203 when the alarm was triggered and the panel went off. I attempted to test the wireless zones again, but was unable to trigger them. Now all the zones show open.

Any ideas what is going on?

Thanks,

Isaac

Just to be sure on the take 345 the serial number is printed on a sticker on the board not in the plastic enclosure. The serial number will also always end in 1 for the first zone. Correct?

Correct. you should see a sticker on both the control board in the plastic case and on the box that the Take came in. It should be XXX-XXX1.

There are a bunch of resistors wired into the each of the zones from the original security panel. Should I keep them or remove them from the circut?

The Take-345 is looking for anywhere between 0-3Kohms. Its possible that the resistors combine with resistance of the circuit are above that value.

That could explain why all show open at the same time. The best course of action would be to remove the resistors when utilizing the Take-345.

Check the wiring between the Ground on the Takeover Module and on the Old Panel. Is that loose? That can also cause all sensors to appear open.