Automatic Garage Door Action

How can I trigger garage doors to automatically shut when hitting a certain alert? Like 10:00 PM or later and been open for 15mins or greater?

You cannot automate the door to close based on a trigger other than arming or disarming the system.

You can however set up a notification to be alerted to the exact circumstance you mention, then you can control the door from the app.

Under notifications, add a new notification and select Garage Left Open. Select the duration and the time-frame when active.

I have the alert set up, and works fine. The problem is when i fall asleep on the couch before the alert happens and wake up to it at 6am. I haven’t seen any major updates to the alarm.com usability in quite a while, should we be expecting something big soon that keeps it close to on par with all the other home automation solutions that are becoming available? Like Google Home, Echo and Homekit? I’ve been wanting to ask this for a while, but I’m afraid that the answer is that alarm.com is an alarm company and not automation, but has some automation and thats as far as it will go. If thats the case, I guess I need to start thinking about a plan to replace it all to keep up with the jones’.

This is what has me really disappointed about alarm.com. I know they need to be careful about triggers that disarm the alarm. But why not allow any other option? Why shouldn’t I be able to close the garage door if I turn off a light? Or any other trigger-action pair where the action is not ‘disarm the alarm’? And why not be able to trigger a scene in any way other than by pressing a button on my mobile device?

I haven’t seen any major updates to the alarm.com usability in quite a while, should we be expecting something big soon that keeps it close to on par with all the other home automation solutions that are becoming available?

What solutions are available with the stated systems that you feel are missing from Alarm.com? We are always happy to pass along feedback.

For the past few months most updates from Alarm.com have been back-end related, but ADC has been adding automation options and integrations consistently since I’ve started working with these systems.

But why not allow any other option? Why shouldn’t I be able to close the garage door if I turn off a light?

Z-wave lights cannot transmit their immediate status change to the panel due to Lutron patent. Info can be found here.

Light status must be polled by the panel. Certain panel/firmware combos have the ability to poll a number of lights to update status, but it is not universal. So regardless of other reasoning, the example given is not a possibility at this time.

Typically rules will be created where actions are intrinsically linked. If you have a use case for additional automation, we encourage you to discuss and make a request here! We are always happy to pass along requests and the more something is requested the more likely and more quickly its chances of being added as an option.

And why not be able to trigger a scene in any way other than by pressing a button on my mobile device?

In most cases the limitation is the controller (alarm panel) but we’d be happy to discuss ideas. What ways are you looking to use to trigger a scene?

What I would like is my original request + others I can think of:

If garage door open > 15 mins and after 10pm, close.
If phone enters geo fence (small around my house), open garage doors.
If phone enters geo fence and after sunset, turn on X lights.
If doorbell rings after sunset, turn on light next to door after X seconds.
If backdoor opens after sunset, turn on X lights.

These are essentially IFTTT commands. The list could go on and on and will vary by user. If alarm.com is headed this direction, great, if not, i think i may need to take a look at my entire setup.

If phone enters geo fence and after sunset, turn on X lights. If doorbell rings after sunset, turn on light next to door after X seconds. If backdoor opens after sunset, turn on X lights.

All three of these can be done.

Alarm.com - Empower - Rules - Add a new rule. (You would need a doorbell compatible with your panel for the doorbell one)

If phone enters geo fence (small around my house), open garage doors.

While a lot of focus is placed on automation, the automation offered through Alarm.com cannot add unnecessary vulnerability to the home. The nature of Geo-Fencing makes this a very dangerous implementation. Geo-Fences must be at least 1 mile to be reliably accurate (they operate based on cell tower triangulation and movement, not precise location), so stopping by a nearby store on your way home would possibly open your garage. Any number of scenarios where you re-enter a fence but not go home would then open your door. The likelihood of this being a security risk is enormously high.

If garage door open > 15 mins and after 10pm, close.

I’ll have to look into whether or not UL Standards stipulate gate/garage activation must be based on direct input. My guess is that unless you are either home and arming/disarming the system, or you know the state of the door and are remotely and willingly sending a signal, it may be a safety concern. However, this is one where I cannot definitively say whether or not it might be implemented and I’ll send it to ADC and see if they have any input or if it might be an option.

Ok, i wasnt aware some of those triggers were available. I am checking that out now. Are there some driveway monitors that could be used instead of geo fencing to perform some of the same tasks I mentioned?

You could use a driveway sensor like an RE204 to turn on lights if preferred over Geo-fencing.

But this would likewise be highly inadvisable for automating a garage door and I can’t imagine that being implemented. The sensor would not distinguish which car tripped it so anyone pulling into your driveway would result in the door opening.

Ok, i wasnt aware some of those triggers were available.

If you’ve got something you want to automate or a new use case please do not hesitate to ask! It may already be available, or it may be the request that pushes ADC to implement it.

What ways are you looking to use to trigger a scene?

From the keyfob and/or Apple Watch primarily, but if available from other triggers I could probably find a use for it. Also would be great if different fobs could activate different scenes. For instance, to be able to open one garage door from my keyfob and another garage door from my wife’s keyfob. Right now the only solution I can figure out is to open both garage doors when the alarm is disarmed, and my wife won’t let me do it because she feels it’s a waste of electricity. But I can do it from our cell phones because I created a “home - (me)” scene and a “home - (wife)” scene.

It was a disappointment to not have scenes on the Apple Watch because instead I have to fish my phone out of my pocket to activate a scene, awkward and dangerous so I don’t do it.

More time-based triggers would be nice, like the other poster is requesting.

Another request for alarm.com: When turning on a light (or any electrical switch) for x minutes, return the light to its previous state (off or on) rather than simply turning it off.

Thank you for being willing to forward along product suggestions to alarm.com.

From the keyfob

Are you referring to an alarm panel keyfob? What panel do you use? Panel keyfob functionality is determined by the panel type and panel programming. You can essentially set up a 2GIG Key2-345 to control one “scene” more or less by creating a sensor it trips and Alarm.com rules based on the sensor. This would not work for Garage doors, as they cannot be automated based on sensor input, but is an easy add for lighting. See the video below.

The Keyfob already has a garage control device option. The 2GIG GDR1-345 uses the 2GIG Key2-345 to open and close the Garage Door. One GDR1-345 for each door would let you program one keyfob for one and one for the other.

I am wondering though, where are you attempting to activate the Garage Door? Are you out of the car and unable to use the visor button for the garage door?

and/or Apple Watch
Right now the only solution I can figure out is to open both garage doors when the alarm is disarmed

You can directly control Garage doors from the Apple Watch App, you do not need a scene to do so.

More time-based triggers would be nice, like the other poster is requesting.

Can you clarify what you are looking for regarding time-based-triggers? Are you referring to things other than the garage?

When turning on a light (or any electrical switch) for x minutes, return the light to its previous state (off or on) rather than simply turning it off.

This is interesting, because yes, if the light is already on and say a sensor trigger would turn it on for a short time then back off, it will turn off after that time period. Unfortunately this is tied to the Lutron patent and not all panels/firmware combos poll status of lights to allow returning to the previous state. Perhaps part of the rule could be a status request at the start, then the on command, then a return to on or off. In any case, I’m happy to forward this on.

The Keyfob already has a garage control device option.

This resolves my issue. Thank you.

Perhaps part of the rule could be a status request at the start, then the on command, then a return to on or off.

Are you speculating that this is the way alarm.com could alter the rule for lights, or is this something I can do now? If the latter, I didn’t realize I could gain this level of control.

Are you speculating that this is the way alarm.com could alter the rule for lights, or is this something I can do now?

Speculation on an Alarm.com change to the rule. This is not a current option. I am not sure it would be possible, but it doesn’t sound far fetched to me for the rule to be amended to either return to the prior state based on a status request up front, or to just not fire the rule at all if the status is already on.