Automate Scene?

Is it possible to automate a scene? Example, as a rule that is triggered upon arming or disarming?

While I somewhat understand the limitations of integrating a Nest thermostat, I know that I can include it in a scene. I typically run a scene when I leave the house. But, when I return, the bluetooth feature disarms, and a rule is triggered upon disarm to operate lights. (I like this method). However, I can’t figure out how to include the thermostat into that scenario. Triggering a rule that runs a scene would do that (I think).

There is no way to operate a scene this way at this time, but this is something I have requested to ADC personally as well. It would be a great addition.

I think some of the logic is complicated, as there are actions you can include in scenes which can have limited types of triggers.

Arming and disarming and locking/unlocking is regulated, and while turning on/off lights doesn’t have too big of an impact, accidentally or unintentionally unlocking a door or disarming the panel via an automation rule is bad news, so it must be triggered by an intentional act/presence.

Thank you, Jason. That is pretty much what I figured regarding the arm/disarm issues with automation. It’s OK to automate disarm via bluetooth because I am pretty much in my driveway, but not OK to use a scene, which can be triggered from anywhere in the world.

Am I missing something, however, regarding a way to include my Nest into a ‘Rule’, as that is my real objective here since now everything is automated upon my return to the house, except the setting of the thermostat.

Am I missing something, however, regarding a way to include my Nest into a ‘Rule’, as that is my real objective here since now everything is automated upon my return to the house, except the setting of the thermostat.

No, this is expected, as Nest integration is more limited than Z-wave tstats connected to the panel.

Nest options currently:

Current target temperature control
Current mode control (Heat, Cool)
Scene thermostat control including:
Temperature control
Mode control
Fan control

ADC Smart Tstats options:

Integrated remote temperature sensing
Thermostat and fan schedules
Fan mode control
Rule-based automation including:
Smart away setback (i.e. Geo-fencing and panel arm away status)
Sensor left open setback
Extreme temperature setback
Fire safety shut-off

Thanks. I understand.

I’m not particularly impressed with the Nest thermostat. But, I own it, it’s installed, and anybody under 30 that visits thinks it is really cool. :slight_smile:

I’ll replace it at some point down the road. Right now, the priorities are lights, locks, and cameras.