Assortment of speaking points

Firstly,

Thank you for having this platform for others to share information on all things security/automation/etc. You have saved me from headaches.

Additionally, reading the faqs: No support in FL… any news/changes Fl resident looking into switching companies.

Current user of the ADC/Qolsys panel. The more I learn the more I see that Qolsys may not be the right panel for me. Or perhaps I simply do not know enough… so here we go.

Qolsys: Z wave support seems to be limited (especially in the areas higher on my list of importance) Seems to be a lack of support for z wave based garage doors.

Qolysys, to my understanding does not support any zwave smoke detectors. (Does any panel? Tuxedo, 2Gig, 3gig, Interlogix, allow zwave based smoke detectors)? I ask with the intention to facilitate automation to my garage door in the event smoke/fire is activated.

Would a device such as Vera remedy all issues. Connecting a vera as a secondary controller and enrolling the desired garage door/ front door/ smoke detector, etc z wave device of my choice be a viable solution?

Out door motion sensors (for states with similar FL climate) what device are you doing. Between the humidity and sea salt air the device I am currently using isn’t going to last for long.

These thoughts and much more later

Again thanks for the past, present, and future assistance.

Qolsys: Z wave support seems to be limited (especially in the areas higher on my list of importance) Seems to be a lack of support for z wave based garage doors.

Compatibility through Alarm.com with the Linear Z-wave Garage opener is coming in upcoming firmware. No ETA, but I’ve been told it’s in progress.

Qolysys, to my understanding does not support any zwave smoke detectors.

No Alarm panel will. Z-wave sensors of any kind will typically not be compatible. The panels are not designed to make use of them.

This is largely due to reliability and certification. Z-wave only very recently received UL certification for security sensor usage. And that is only the most recent version as well. It will likely be a while before we see them used heavily in monitoring applications.

Would a device such as Vera remedy all issues.

Qolsys does not yet support secondary/primary controller linking. In 1.5.3 the controls are there but the actual software integration is not available to add another controller to the mix. Upcoming firmware should change that.

Out door motion sensors (for states with similar FL climate) what device are you doing. Between the humidity and sea salt air the device I am currently using isn’t going to last for long.

Any wired outdoor motion detector can work, using the wired output to connect to a wireless sensor with wired inputs that can be used as a transmitter, like the RE101.

Typically you will find a lot more outdoor, hardy detectors when looking at the hardwired models.

Thank you for having this platform for others to share information on all things security/automation/etc. You have saved me from headaches.

Additionally, reading the faqs: No support in FL… any news/changes Fl resident looking into switching companies.

We are always happy to help. Unfortunately no current update on FL. ADC Interactive service is available, but not monitoring.

Qolysys, to my understanding does not support any zwave smoke detectors.

I personally like using Encore Firefighter to cover smoke alarms rather than separate devices. It works like a charm and is very cost effective, and not very intrusive. I paid to upgrade all my fire alarms in my new house to be voice-alarm smoke + CO detectors and this $60 device covers the entire house since my existing alarms are interconnected. Even if zWave smoke detectors were possible, they would almost certainly be much more expensive and there is a lot more to go wrong with zWave signal vs a standard sensor signal that the Encore uses. Failing that I would probably still err on the side of caution and use standard smoke/heat detectors rather than zWave for live saving devices.

Jason and Ender519

Thanks for the information.

I will have to somehow find out a way to automate garage door opening with the activation of a smoke detector alarm. I would only need 1 zwave smoke as I will continue to rely on the hardwired units installed.

FL seem to have issues with multiple companies not playing well with out rules, regulations :confused:

Will look into the suggestions and continue to be patience and learn more in the meantime.

On another note has anyone tried the voice features within the Amazon Alexa to interface with turning on lights, operating garage doors, A/C with their system yet?

Again, thanks.

A thread describing some user interaction with the Echo can be found here.

Thank you Jason.