Armed stay security

Since motion sensors are not armed during arm stay, if all openable doors and windows have contact sensors, are there any options for additional security aside from glassbreak detectors or shock sensors?

Available wireless options will differ based on panel type.

Power G has some good specific use options like the Curtain Motion Detector which will cover a narrow section and function similar to a tripwire. Power G is compatible with the IQ Panel 2+.

In general though, anything with a normally closed wired output could be monitored by wiring it to a wireless transmitter like a door sensor with a wired input. (For 2GIG a DW10, for Qolsys a IQ Door Window Extended, etc.) Generally though, unless you are looking to cover a very specific use case, Glass Break detectors and/or shock sensors are the best way to go for additional perimeter security.

Glass Breaks and Shocks are standard and commonly used. I prefer shock sensors myself, as they are generally pretty safe from false alarm concerns of glass breaks like dogs barking.

Are there any curtain motion detectors compatible with 2gig GC2?

I don’t know of any wireless 345 mhz curtain motion detectors, but you could use a wired one along with a DW10 as its transmitter.

Something like the Honeywell IS216T-CUR would work for you. It would need a 12VDC power supply, then wire its Normally Closed output to the wired input of the DW10. You then program the DW10 into your panel as a sensor type (04) Interior Follower on a 2GIG GC2.

The video below shows a similar process of using a wired shock sensor with the DW10 input. You would do the same just with the Curtain detector output.

Could such a sensor be programmed as a perimeter sensor?

On the 2GIG Panel you can program any physical sensor as any type of security zone, so yes you could do that.

Sorry, I really meant to ask is it not recommended to enroll a curtain sensor as perimeter? I’m trying to determine If there is a good alternative for armed stay security, compared to putting shock sensors on all doors and windows (because of the high cost) or using glassbreak sensors (because of the unknown reliability in the presence of window shades).

Well, if you can guarantee no one would ever enter the area of the beam and no other motion would occur it may be unlikely you would see a lot of false alarms, but they would be possible of course.

Ultimately I would recommend a shock sensor and door/window sensor for perimeter security on windows.

The video from up above shows my personal favorite method of achieving that on a 2GIG Panel, with a wired shock connected to a DW10. The wired shock attaches to the glass and provides good coverage with minimal false alarm hazards.

Got it. When mounting this setup on an openable window or door, the DW10 sensor/shock sensor combo would obviously need to be mounted on the moving part and the magnet on the frame, which is opposite of how a contact sensor would normally be mounted, correct?

Why do you favor the DW10-wired shock combo over a Honeywell 5800SS1?

What model of wired shock sensor do you recommend for this setup?

Thanks

When mounting this setup on an openable window or door, the DW10 sensor/shock sensor combo would obviously need to be mounted on the moving part and the magnet on the frame

Correct, the magnet would go on the frame and the sensor would move with the window.

Why do you favor the DW10-wired shock combo over a Honeywell 5800SS1?

Cost, mainly. Both dual purpose DW/Shock and wireless on-glass shock sensors are typically more expensive than using a DW10 and a wired shock.

Using a DW and a wireless on-glass shock is the most expensive option and means more batteries to change out when needed.

Using a combo wireless DW with a built-in shock means it needs to be placed on the frame not the glass, which I’ve personally seen to be overall either less responsive or more prone to false alarm.

The wired option fixes both of the above problems typically.

Ultimately the 5800SS1 would still serve the same purpose well.

What model of wired shock sensor do you recommend for this setup?

We typically use the 5150W.

Got it thanks

Is it possible to group multiple DW-wired shock sensors into a single zone, either to minimize complexity of zone naming or if running up on the sensor limit of the GC panel?

Technically yes, but not by software, you would need to wire them together in series into a single DW10 transmitter. This means you would have wire running between all shock sensors connected to a single DW10.

if i were to switch to a qolsys IQ2+, what would be your recommendation for shock sensor perimeter perimeter security?

does the hardwire 16 encrypt its signal to the panel?

would existing 2gig and honeywell motion detectors be usable with a converter? if so, i assume the signal from the sensor to the converter would not be encrypted?

Yes, the Hardwire 16F has S-Line encryption just like the other sensors.

With regard to shock sensors our recommendation wouldn’t change. The IQ Mini Extended has wired sensor inputs you can use. Or the Hardwire 16F, if you’d rather run the wires all back to one location.

The Universal Translator would translate Honeywell/2GIG sensors to Interlogix for the IQ Panel. Correct, the translated sensors would not be encrypted. But if you only have a few Honeywell sensors it may make more sense to just get new Qolsys sensors.

Is it possible to group multiple DW-wired shock sensors into a single zone, either to minimize complexity of zone naming or if running up on the sensor limit of the GC panel?

JasonSurety Team Member

6d

Technically yes, but not by software, you would need to wire them together in series into a single DW10 transmitter. This means you would have wire running between all shock sensors connected to a single DW10.

What is the maximum number of sensors that can be enrolled with the GC2 and IQ2+ panels, respectively? Are there any solutions if more than that number of sensors is required?

What is the maximum number of sensors that can be enrolled with the GC2 and IQ2+ panels, respectively? Are there any solutions if more than that number of sensors is required?

GC2 = 60 zones
GC3 = 100 zones
Qolsys IQ Panel 2+ = 128 zones

These are hard maximum values for wireless zones that cannot be increased. Each panel has a couple wired zone inputs as well.

I’ve not seen many cases where the maximum limit is reached, but typically the solution is to use wired sensors wired in series. If you have wired window and door sensors this is likely already the case. Most old wired systems have a maximum of 8 wired zones built in. Sometimes zone expanders would be used to increase that number, but to nowhere near 128.