All Z-wave functionality suddenly died on IQ Panel 2+ w/30+ nodes

Thanks, Jason, that’s good news! No worries about possibly not getting the RMA number until Monday.

A few related questions:

1. Would (or could) an advance replacement be sent, so as to minimize downtime, shipping delays, etc? I’d be happy to supply credit card information for a hold charge to secure, until the original unit is returned (if needed). Having both units in my hands for a brief period of time would also allow with transferring any settings over, to try to keep things as similarly configured as possible.

2. What can I expect the process of transferring over to the panel going to look like, in terms of original configurations, settings, devices, etc - both on the panel itself, and on Alarm.com? Is there a means to transfer over some/most/all configurations through some kind of automated process? Should I expect that I’ll need to plan to exclude/include all my various Z-wave nodes and security devices from scratch and potentially also lose all my Alarm.com rules/automations/scenes/etc? Thought I read something recently about some new means to transfer configurations between panels, but not sure if that could apply here, nor whether it would extend to associated Z-wave nodes and security devices.

Would (or could) an advance replacement be sent, so as to minimize downtime, shipping delays, etc?

if you would like the replacement shipped prior to the defective equipment arriving at Surety you can purchase a replacement via this link here for us to ship out.

The total cost of the replacement order, including shipping, will be refunded once the defective equipment has been returned to us.

Otherwise, you can send the defective unit back to us and we can send a new unit once the old unit has arrived. Just let us know how you would like to proceed and I will have customer service follow up with next steps.

What can I expect the process of transferring over to the panel going to look like, in terms of original configurations, settings, devices, etc - both on the panel itself, and on Alarm.com?

A backup can be pushed to the new panel to restore most settings. This would contain programming, users and sensor configuration data.

This would not include and Z-Wave device information. All Z-Wave devices would need to be removed and re-added to the new panel (after running the backup/restore).

Alarm.com data would remain the same.

A new backup can be run if the panel is powered up, and communicating otherwise the last automated backup was run in May 2020. It looks like the panel is currently not communicating.

Once the new panel has been received, and you are ready to swap, just let us know and we can begin the process.

Both panels would need to be powered down completely and we would need the new panel’s 15-Digit cellular module number (IMEI) (do not use the module swap tool found in the System Manager section of your Surety account, doing this will overwrite the backup) Additionally, no sensors or Z-Wave devices should be learned into the new panel prior to running the restoral commands (doing so can cause the process to fail).

Thanks, Tyler! Sounds good, I just ordered the replacement (confirmation # 496152).

As for the backup and panel not communicating, I don’t know why this is, as I left it powered on, but am presently away from home. I’ll check and respond when I get home. I would like to get a more updated backup performed, if I can get it communicating again. Is there a manual process to kick off the backup? I’ll try this after a panel reboot/attempt to revive comms. If it’s just a option in the menus, I’m sure I can find it.

Thanks again to both you and Jason!

The order is being processed now. Once ready for shipment you will receive a confirmation email along with tracking information.

Backups cannot be run from your end but we are happy to run a backup per request. Just let us know when ready and we can run one.

Thanks, Tyler. FYI, the panel communication should be restored now, if you wouldn’t mind performing that backup… Could not find anything wrong, but just rebooting was enough to restore comms.

Thank you for following up. The backup has been run successfully.

Thanks, Tyler. FYI, the panel arrived today. I’ll start the process from my end when I return home from work later this afternoon.

I’ll shut down the old panel, provide you the new panel’s IMEI number (will probably PM this), then await further instructions. I won’t power anything up until I hear back.

Sounds like a plan. Private Message is best for sending the IMEI number. We will respond with additional steps in reply to that PM.

All set. Just sent you a PM - thanks!

Also, just to help tackle anything that doesn’t transfer over through the restore process, can you please let me know what I’d need to do on the original panel to safely power it up without interfering with the new panel (assuming this is possible)?

My new panel is up, but the restored settings have proven to be a mixed bag… Some devices transferred over properly and worked immediately, others transferred, but showed as malfunctioning (even after being exercised and being left alone over the weekend), some carried over incorrect settings (or defaults?), and others still did not show up at all and needed to be learned in from scratch.

Given how this panned out, I’m trying to be meticulous in verifying everything. To this end, some questions:

1. For the sake of comparing settings, is it possible to now safely power up the original panel so that I can review settings, while not risking having it “take over” any devices that have either been transferred over automatically or manually to the new panel? I gather that cellular comms should probably be non-existent now, but this thing will talk WiFi, until I can clear these settings. I can defeat this by shutting down my WiFi for long enough to clear these settings on the old panel, but this wouldn’t make sense if there is a chance that it might talk to any S-line and PowerG sensors and confuse them. Any thoughts or advice on the best way to approach this (or if this is just flat-out a bad idea)?

2. I’ve been re-adding Z-wave devices and I had a Sump Pump monitoring configuration that I was hoping could be restored. The HDSS associated with this is named “Grinder Pump”, and the water monitoring sensor I’d like to associate with this is called “Grinder Pump Basin Medium Level” (there is also a separate “Grinder Pump Basin High Level” that I want to use as an unassociated backup flood sensor). I’d like to ask that this Sump Pump setup be configured as Reportable, for any abnormal/water-detection events.

3. I have an HEM. However, I am deliberately avoiding adding it back to my Z-wave mesh for the time being, to allow for some additional experimentation/troubleshooting for a possibly-related issue documented here with my Schlage door locks. I understand that if an HEM is replaced that previously-collected power data can be restored to the account if the HEM is added back within a certain period of time. How long do I have before this time runs out and this data can no longer be relinked to my account? Or, am I already past this point (in which case, no rush on my part to complete this troubleshooting that I have in mind)?

For the sake of comparing settings, is it possible to now safely power up the original panel so that I can review settings, while not risking having it “take over” any devices that have either been transferred over automatically or manually to the new panel?

Yes, if your panel IMEI has been swapped already there is no danger of the old panel overwriting anything. The panel MAC and everything is already assigned in Alarm.com.

I’ve been re-adding Z-wave devices and I had a Sump Pump monitoring configuration that I was hoping could be restored. The HDSS associated with this is named “Grinder Pump”, and the water monitoring sensor I’d like to associate with this is called “Grinder Pump Basin Medium Level”

Done, allow about 10 minutes for these commands to take effect.

How long do I have before this time runs out and this data can no longer be relinked to my account? Or, am I already past this point (in which case, no rush on my part to complete this troubleshooting that I have in mind)?

There is only a couple days I think that this data can be reapplied. Your prior device instance is not showing as a deleted device so it looks like this likely can no longer be pushed.

Thanks, Jason!

Few other questions:

1. I have a previously-configured notification set up for “Garage Freezer Temperature Alert” that I’d like to edit. However, it appears to somehow have gotten associated with my “Grinder Pump Basin High Level” (flood) sensor. It will neither let me delete nor edit this notification. If I attempt to delete, I end up in an endless loop of “Do you want to delete this notification?” prompts. If I attempt to edit it, I end up an “Oops, something went wrong” and prompt to refresh the page. Is this something you can correct or delete on your end?

2. I can’t the panel to display the Liftmaster garage door controls on the home screen. This was available on my earlier panel. I could not find an option to enable this screen.

3. What do I need to do to be able to enable the Panel Motion Detector? It is grayed out, and from some Googling, all I found was some vague reference to this being due to “Panel IP Camera” being enabled - some mutually exclusive configuration…? I’m not sure what this is, nor how to access it.

4. Jason, follow-up question to an earlier reply (and sorry to belabor this!), but you’re sure that if I power up my old panel that there is no risk of it taking over or compromising communication with my security (S-Line and PowerG) sensors? Just want to be absolutely sure powering this thing up is not going to cause any further confusion.

Thanks again!

Is this something you can correct or delete on your end?

Actually no, but it looks like it may be a hiccup with ADC servers. I can’t even view that rule at this time, I get an error. Give it a little time to clear. Let me know if you still see it after a few hours. My guess is it should clear soon.

I can’t the panel to display the Liftmaster garage door controls on the home screen. This was available on my earlier panel. I could not find an option to enable this screen.

I’ve actually seen this once I think. The garage options should automatically update. If not I can delete and re-add the gateway to the account which I believe should take care of this. Would you like me to go ahead and do that now?

What do I need to do to be able to enable the Panel Motion Detector? It is grayed out, and from some Googling, all I found was some vague reference to this being due to “Panel IP Camera” being enabled - some mutually exclusive configuration…? I’m not sure what this is, nor how to access it.

Yes, the setting is under Settings > Advanced Settings > Installation > Installer Settings. Make sure to turn off Panel IP Camera

Jason, follow-up question to an earlier reply (and sorry to belabor this!), but you’re sure that if I power up my old panel that there is no risk of it taking over or compromising communication with my security (S-Line and PowerG) sensors? Just want to be absolutely sure powering this thing up is not going to cause any further confusion.

Any issue would be a shock to me.

Thanks, Jason! FYI, with regard to above, I see no difference in behavior, even days later. I still can’t delete or interact with this notification rule at all. Might we be able to ask ADC to take a look?

Also, with regard to the garage door controls, I still don’t see these on the panel. However, I’m not quite ready to delete and re-add the gateway at this time (would prefer to document affected rules and notifications first). I’ll get back to you on this, when ready.

Thanks again!

ADC is suggesting that the zone currently listed on the rule should be deleted from the panel. Can you try that and see if that clears it from the rule and lets you edit that rule again?

So, I renamed the device in the Devices list, just to confirm that the new name would also show up under this notification rule (it did).

I then proceeded to delete the sensor from the panel, and have confirmed that it’s now gone both from my panel’s security sensors list, as well as my ADC Devices list.

However, despite this, the notification rule continues to show the now-deleted device ("_Grinder Pump Basin High Level"). Attempting to edit or delete the notification rule results in the same issue.

UPDATE: After deleting the sensor, I still have not added it back. I left it this way overnight, and still see the same issue with this problematic notification and now-orphaned sensor name. Also cannot interact with it from the ADC app, same as before.

Thank you, can you try deleting the Sensor in zone 9 as well? It looks like that one might have gotten the “wires crossed” so to speak with that notification rule. ADC is seeing that sensor associated with the rule.

I’ve not seen this as a result of a panel swap before, but it looks like that was the cause.

Hmm, I thought Zone 9 was the one I had deleted ("_Grinder Pump Basin High Level"). This is from memory, as I’m not at home at the moment to check. The adjacent one (and the correct one originally associated with this rule) was “Garage Freezer Temp”. I’ll remove this when I get home this evening and will check again and let you know…

On a different subject (but still relating to panel swap behavior differences), I’m noticing that the new Sump Pump configuration has yet to generate a single notification, yet appears to have kicked on almost every day since the panel transition. I have 2 separate notification rules, one for “alarm” (problem) conditions, and one for “general notification” (normal use).

I understand that there is a certain threshold of power consumption registered by the HDSS before this can be recognized as an “event”, but I can’t see the power consumption having changed, simply because we replaced the panel, given that nothing is different with the HDSS and grinder pump… Before the panel swap, I would guesstimate that these notifications were correctly picked up close to 90% of the time, but we’re currently looking at 0%.

Is there any kind of power threshold configuration setting on the back end that may have changed between the original Sump Pump configuration for the original panel vs. the current one we now have on the replacement panel…? If not, any other change that you can think of that might explain this?

Ah, apologies, it was me that misremembered. Zone 7. Zone 7 appears to also be affecting that rule in the back-end. (The one you are referencing) It looks like those two zones were crossed in the rule when the panel swap occurred.

The threshold is not adjustable. From the ADC docs: The sump pump should display in the Equipment list and on the User Website. The icon on the User Website turns red when the pump is active and draws 100W or more of power from the Heavy Duty Smart Switch to operate.

Can you try editing and re-saving the Sump Pump notification?

Ok, so yesterday I deleted “Garage Freezer Temp” (Zone 7), and have not added it back. I left it overnight and still no change with that notification rule - still cannot access/edit/delete it. In the summary, it still displays the previously-removed now-orphaned sensor named “_Grinder Pump Basin High Level”.

For the Sump Pump notification, I had made some changes to this rule (and applied them) and retested with identical results (no notification) prior to posting. I can try again, if you like, but I’ve already playing with “tickling” settings, in an attempt to reapply and induce correct behavior.