Alarm triggered, very confused

Hey, so I am a little confused. We arrived home and I disarmed my panel via the app. My wife then went in and the panel started beeping, like it hadn’t been disarmed. Immediately after going in, 2 PIRs tripped and sent an alarm state to monitoring. We immediately disarmed the system from the GC3e panel. The panel siren never sounded.

Central monitoring called my wife and my cells. They told us that they already dispatched police because they couldn’t reach us. They said they tried 2 way, but couldn’t get through (never heard then on 2 way), and they never tried calling our house. Fortunately, we were able to have them cancel the dispatch before police arrived.

So, I am a bit perplexed as to the series of events that took place here. I have attached a screenshot of the alarm history for your reference. Can you take a look and let me know what may have happened here?

Thank you for your help!

-David

Hey, so I am a little confused. We arrived home and I disarmed my panel via the app. My wife then went in and the panel started beeping, like it hadn’t been disarmed.

Depending on how long after you sent the command you walked in, this would be pretty normal. Always allow a minute or two for remote commands, even though they usually hit the system much quicker, there may be latency.

Immediately after going in, 2 PIRs tripped and sent an alarm state to monitoring. We immediately disarmed the system from the GC3e panel.

I’m sad to see this affects the GC3e as well. There is an issue with 2GIG GC3 panels, starting with firmware 3.2.0, which causes them to basically treat zone type (04) Interior Follower like it was a Perimeter sensor instead. It will not be disregarded during entry delay like it should.

The work-around for this currently is to set the motion detectors as (10) Interior with Delay.

We’ve been reporting this to 2GIG for quite some time. I am comfortable frankly stating that I am disappointed in their response to this problem. I’ll be forwarding this case as another example today.

Central monitoring called my wife and my cells. They told us that they already dispatched police because they couldn’t reach us. They said they tried 2 way, but couldn’t get through (never heard then on 2 way), and they never tried calling our house. Fortunately, we were able to have them cancel the dispatch before police arrived.

Records indicate they did contact the location premise number, but got an answering machine. The history indicates a message was left. Did you not receive a message on the landline?

Hi Jason,

Thank you for the response. Makes sense about the mobile disarm - I will give it more time in the future.

Regarding the PIR bug, that really is a problem. Do you find that this issue is intermittent, or happens every time? Until it is fixed, is there any negative to setting them as (10) Interior with Delay? I will call 2GIG tech support and report this bug as well. Please let me know if you get an update from them.

What I don’t understand, though, is why did the panel siren not sound? My wife didn’t even realize the alarm had tripped until she saw the message on the panel, but there was no siren. Any thoughts on that?

Regarding the phone call, that’s strange…our phone never rang (we have a VOIP service, so I checked the call logs), but we do have a voicemail. So either the phones just didn’t ring, or it went straight to voicemail. I will check with our VOIP provider about this.

Do you know why 2-way wasn’t used? Are there records as to whether they tried to contact us on 2-way?

This sounds like a perfect storm of bugs and anomalies…!!

Thank you!

-David

This sounds like a perfect storm of bugs and anomalies…!!

Unfortunately you are absolutely correct here.

Operators did in fact attempt 2-Way, but couldn’t connect.

There is actually an issue we discovered with 2GIG panels (GC2 and GC3) with Verizon LTE modules specifically where our monitoring center’s phone carrier is having some trouble with the operator connection commands to “pick up” the call.

This one, from the details I have, is on our monitoring center to resolve, so I have much better insight into it. It should be temporary but you can temporarily disable two way voice in your System Manager until it is resolved. I spoke with our monitoring center last week about it and will be following up again this week. When I hear an ETA I will follow up here!

What I don’t understand, though, is why did the panel siren not sound? My wife didn’t even realize the alarm had tripped until she saw the message on the panel, but there was no siren. Any thoughts on that?

Based on history it looks like the disarm occurred immediately following the alarm, so an alarm signal went out, but the alarm was immediately disarmed (the time-stamp in your ADC history on the first alarm and the disarm is one second apart).

Hey Jason,

This is really messed up here. I just did a test…armed away then came in. Walked through the first floor, no alarm. Then went to the panel and disarmed. The second I disarmed, the panel tripped and sent an alarm state. So the sensors didn’t send an alert until I entered my code in the panel.

Also, the 2 way was beeping like someone was connecting, but never heard a voice.

So now, I’m wondering why the panel is only entering alarm state as soon as I disarm.

I need to get this resolved right away as I cannot use the alarm.

-David

I have never heard of this type of behavior, specifically, where it waits until activity at the panel to sound the alarm, but it would be related to the broken Interior Follower zone type. I do see in event history that the motion detector triggered the alarm, and that alarm was picked up during entry delay.

It doesn’t look like the sensor type was changed yet on the motion detectors. Can you confirm whether or not your motion detectors were switched to Sensor Zone Type 10 Interior With Delay?

If they stay at Zone type 04 Interior Follower, there will be false alarms from them if you walk in front of them during entry delay.

Ok. I put the system in test and tried 2 more times, but the sensors didn’t trigger an alarm either time. Second time I waited 10 minutes before re-entering to let the sensors reset, but no alarm.

I will change the zone type now. Is there any negative to having the sensors type 10 instead of 04? Just want to understand what that will mean for my system.

I will disable 2-way for now also. Strange that it transmits the beep but that they cannot communicate through it.

Thanks,

David

I will change the zone type now. Is there any negative to having the sensors type 10 instead of 04? Just want to understand what that will mean for my system.

Setting it to Type 10 Interior with Delay will function as a normal Interior Zone except with Entry Delay, so it will trigger Entry Delay if crossed without opening another Entry Sensor, and if you open an entry door and then walk in front of it it will be disregarded during the entry delay countdown.

In effect it will add an Entry Delay period to that zone if the motion detector is tripped first. It is not ideal, but it is the only effective workaround in programming to fix the issue with how the panel processes zone type 4.

The issue with 2-Way voice is separate and due to the interaction between Verizon LTE network 2GIG Modules and the monitoring station. I’m told the underlying cause seems to be related to how DTMF tones are handled between the monitoring station and 2GIG LTE modules. (Not my area of expertise, but I’m told this is fixable by the monitoring station and their phone carrier)

Hi Jason,

I wanted to follow up to see if there is any update on either the Zone type 4 bug or the Verizon LTE voice issue? I would like to switch my zone type back to 4 (from 10) and want to make sure voice will work properly now.

Thank you!

Hello, unfortunately both of those issues are still occurring.

The 2GIG GC3 Interior Follower bug needs to be resolved by firmware, and it has not been fixed yet by 2GIG. The latest version, 3.2.5 does not address this bug.

I just spoke with our monitoring station team yesterday, and they gave me an update on their work with Alarm.com to dig up what is causing this issue in some cases, but it is ongoing. The two way voice issue is intermittent, but still is affecting certain Verizon modules.

Well, that’s a bummer. I guess I will wait for a firmware update. Any indication if the PIR issue will be resolved in the near future?

For the voice issue, would I be best to wait? Or change modules?

Thanks!

I spoke with 2GIG’s product development team lead a couple months ago who indicated that they had recreated the issue and were testing and developing a fix.

So, I know one is coming, I just don’t have an eta when that might happen.

Regarding two way voice, the issue is pretty complicated and it seems to be related to interaction between the module carrier and the carriers transmitting the data to our monitoring station from Alarm.com. It seems to have only been reported on Verizon so far, but the majority of users have Verizon modules, so the prevalence may just be due to statistics.

I would not recommend any module swaps until we know more about the cause. I would certainly believe this is a resolvable issue by the carriers and monitoring station without the need for a module change, at least with the info we have now.

I’d recommend just getting a Iq panel plus 345