Alarm.com SVR Beta Test Discussion

anyone manage to be able to download 5 min SVR timeline clips…?

its not working for me.

I am using the Alarm.com app.

I am not talking about the app. you cannot view the SVR timeline and play it on the alarm.com app…(for me its just live view and rule recorded clips only).

you also cannot set VMD windows on the alarm.com app

alarm.com SVR timeline

alarm.com SVR timeline on Nexus 7 android 5.2.2 (via remote):

The SVR is available in the Alarm.com App and it is working. I can select a time in the timeline and press play. It works fine. It just does not show any events in the timeline as using my PC does.

Also I have no problem downloading 5 minute SVR videos on my PC.

do a screenshot of the alarm.com mobile app SVR timeline. I don’t see it on mine.

This is what I see

Never mind…I found the setting. Thanks Venom

Also, what will be the associated pricing for the units/service?

I found the original OEM SVR (Vivotek Network Video Recorder)… supports up to 8TB, retails for around $337 without the drives. So I figure alarm.com is gonna price them between $400-$500. The 1TB drives run approx. $65 each on newegg.

Vivotek NVR:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1065093-REG/vivotek_nd8321_8_channel_nvr_video.html

Purple SATA WD10PURX 1TB HDDs:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236662&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-All+Desktop+Hard+Drives-_-N82E16822236662&gclid=CjwKEAjwiq-oBRC9gvHCsvDdn2cSJACV3DFRi97459AUiRfTPvMLj8Hgt-7GF0EXeLdPldjvEJJdihoCvjrw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Thanks. I didn’t really know or hear anything about it until this morning.

If there’s an opportunity, I’d like to participate.

Thanks,

Greg

Seems like quite a few companies use a variation of this model SVR / NVR. D-Link has a couple of models with one being available for under $200.

http://www.dlink.com/uk/en/business-solutions/network-storage/network-video-recorders/dnr-322l-cloud-network-video-recorder

I dunno about Dlink, but ADC uses rebranded Vivotek gear with custom firmware.

You can tell what model series they used by looking at the alarm.com camera firmware version (under “device info”).

For example the SVR is the Vivotek ND8220 (ND8 series), the V520IR is the Vivotek IP8136W (the IP8136W is the same (IP813) base series as the IP8131W, just with different firmware: http://www.vivotek.com/ip8131w/#views:view=jplist-grid-view)

They also have the V720W…and the V620PT…

So, Today I went to look at the SVR Timeline on my PC. I selected a time from last night and hit play. The indoor camera loaded and started playing almost immediately, the outdoor camera took about an extra 15-20 seconds to start playing. The outdoor camera playback was at least 15-20 seconds behind the indoor camera. The timeline time was accurate for the indoor camera but off for the outdoor camera. I think the software should wait for both cameras to completely load before starting playback. This way they would all be in sync with the time.

How do I get one of these?

This is still just beta testing. The final ADC SVR product will be available soon, assuming beta testing goes well. A few customers have been selected to participate in beta testing based on having a history of high activity on the forum and having cameras that are compatible with the SVR.

Perhaps this is just me, but has anyone noticed how crappy/low res the downloaded clips are from the website SVR timeline?

Amd am I just missing it, or is there no way to download SVR time clips from the mobile ADC app?

No network access…to get a clip you have to upload it from the NVR to the cloud, then download it back to a network device…and in the process of this cloud uploading/downloading the video clip goes from HD to non-HD.

After using the SVR a good amount over the weekend, I found it to be an ok product in it’s current state providing the bugs it has are fixed. I am not sure this is a product I would decide to use for 24 hour monitoring as it is to locked down by Alarm.com.

Let me start by saying this unit was very easy to set up and use. The build quality is nice and the ease of upgrading the drives is great. I am currently using it with two cameras, One indoor ADC-V620PT and One Outdoor ADC-V720W. I had originally planned on adding many more Alarm.com cameras. In the course of trying to properly set the outdoor camera for motion sensing it became clear that the ADC-V720W either uploaded way to many clips or barely any. The ADC-V720W misses people approaching my front door 75% of the time, but gets them leaving my front door 90% of the time. Yet it gets the neighbors cat 100% of the time. Needless to say I am not impressed with using the ADC cameras alone for my home surveillance. So I started researching other Security Camera and DVR options. Right after I started my research I was contacted by Jason about this Beta Test. It was perfect Timing.

I believe the ADC-SVR100 can be the viable solution I am looking for provided Alarm.com makes some changes. First would be the ability to view and save video from the ADC-SVR100 over my home network. It is ridiculous that I have to be online to view local video and download to save it. (It is possible that the video actually is saved from the ADC-SVR100 and not actually being downloaded from Alarm.com, but I am not sure on this yet. It would seem to be an incredible waste of bandwidth and money to constantly upload to Alarm.com, View and then Download back to my home where the video started.)
I feel that the only things that need to be uploaded to Alarm.com are events that we choose. Such as Motion Sensors Being Activated, Doors opening and Closing, the Alarm being tripped…etc… In those instances clips should be uploaded starting with 10 seconds or more before the event happened. I understand that Alarm.com does not want you to be able to use their equipment without some form of subscription but just as with the cameras this really limits the usability and value of the ADC-SVR100. I would still use the Alarm.com Cloud with my ADC Cameras if I was able to view and record 24 hours on my network using other recording equipment. Having clips uploaded off the home network is a good security measure. The ADC-SVR100 should be able to view, record and save video over the home network without being online or needing an Alarm.com Cloud subscription of any kind. Sensible people would see the value in having clips uploaded to the cloud and viewing over the Internet with their Cell phones and PC’s and opt for that feature.
If for some reason your network connection was cut, I would like to see clips from the cameras uploaded through the wireless cell coverage during an alarm event.

That being said, After using the ADC-SVR100 I found the timing of video is all over the place. As I mentioned in a previous post, If one camera starts playback before the other, the time line for the second camera is off. All cameras video should load before playback starts to keep uniformity with the timeline.
I found the quality of downloaded clips to be on par with what I view on Alarm.com. But the quality downloaded and viewed on Alarm.com is far below the Max Resolution and Frame Rate I have selected.
When downloading based on the time showing in the timeline, the actual video downloaded is almost always off form what you were watching online for the same time frame. Having multiple cameras that start playback after the first camera starts playback makes the downloads even more off on the time shown in the timeline.
As others have noted adjusting the resolution and frame rate on the ADC-SVR100 can change the settings on your cameras current settings to very low frame rates.

During my research, I had purchased an inexpensive IP Camera similar in features to the ADC-V620PT , but including infrared for night viewing. It was 1/3 of the price and worked just as well. I got an android app for free that allows Remote Viewing, Pan/Tilt and other features. I can either build a PC Security Camera DVR or buy one. They are not expensive to build. There is lots of Camera Software available for the PC and Android.
I would need to do further research on setting up my home built DVR to upload events to a cloud, but it is possible.

What I am trying to say is, Alarm.com has an opportunity to give a complete solution if it just releases a little control of their product. I would rather have all my video tied in to Alarm.com than have two separate Android Apps or PC Programs, One for cameras and the other for Alarm.com. Add the simplicity of the setup and it could be a winner.

The last thing is not so much what they try and charge us for the ADC-SVR100 but what they expect the monthly charge to be. I am sorry but, the current cloud prices are all I would be willing to pay based on my above statements regarding having clips uploaded only during events.

I am sure I missed some things, so I will come back and read this again in a little bit and edit it if needed. Kids are on break from school and over my shoulder begging me to get off the computer…lol

First would be the ability to view and save video from the ADC-SVR100 over my home network. It is ridiculous that I have to be online to view local video and download to save it. (It is possible that the video actually is saved from the ADC-SVR100 and not actually being downloaded from Alarm.com, but I am not sure on this yet. It would seem to be an incredible waste of bandwidth and money to constantly upload to Alarm.com, View and then Download back to my home where the video started.)

Awfully puzzled by this myself. Hoping to get a little light shed on the decision (or future capability)

It is possible that the video actually is saved from the ADC-SVR100 and not actually being downloaded from Alarm.com, but I am not sure on this yet.

I am.

The video clips are not saved over the LAN. They clips are uploaded to the alarm.com cloud/server (after being formatted/reduced/degraded to low fps/quality), then downloaded from there.

Without something like USB local, or LAN access, these are too locked down to be of any real benefit.

I would not buy one/use it. And if ADC is smart, they would make the SVR service free and include it in the current Video plan for those who are keen to fork down the money to obtain one of these crippled Vivotek NVRs.

If in event you need to retrieve footage (say for police/evidence), you can kiss the HDD drives goodbye, as the image quality downloads suck. They will have to take the drives themselves and recover the video footage via forensics (so think twice about what your SVR cameras are recording…in my case my SVR will record 495 days of footage before data is overwritten, and also hope the drives are not encrypted by ADC, else they are truly useless if you ever really need them).

That would pretty much kill my wanting to use the SVR-100 at all if it stays that way.

The one plus I see is that instead of making video memories, I can just let the SVR100 do it for me, or see what happens when I am away (be a spy/voyour in my own home)…as long as I dont actually need the footage, its a nice little (expensive?) Toy.

Imagine my childrens children finding boxes of Purple WD HDDs in the attic with the VHS/DVDs, and photo albums… They could watch years unfold hour by hour, minute by minute on the screen…

Your own private reality TV show.

Anyone else notice that the 929 GB in RAID 1 mirrored, just dropped to total storage capacity of 789 GB (A loss of 139.4 GB of storage capacity), and RAID 0 stripped just went from 1859 GB to 1579 GB (a loss of 280 GB storage capacity)?

Did ADC just remotely create a hidden partition/volume on the drives? If so, why?

Mirrored Before

Mirrored Now

Stripped Before

Stripped Now