Alarm.com Color Lights

This weekend I installed one of the Zipato RGBW color Z-Wave bulbs. I wanted to provide some feedback to share with Alarm.com. The color bulb integration is promising but some limitations make it less useful in its current state.

1. One of their example functions is “make the lights green when dad gets home”. This works in the literal sense, but is annoying because you either have to leave the light green indefinitely or have it turn the light off after a time period. So after I get home, someone needs to take an extra step to change the light back to “white” and/or turn the light back on. The current rule reads “Set color of selected devices for (1 minute) before turning OFF”. FEATURE REQUEST: Add options following the time period besides “OFF”, particularly, “return to original state” or even just changing to another color (white).

2. Another example feature is that the bulbs can change color temperature throughout the day to maximize comfort, for example cool daylight color temp during the day and warm color temp in the evening. Again this technically works, I setup a rule for sunrise and sunset to change the color temperature. But, I don’t want it to also turn on the lamp at these times if it is off - I just want the color temp to change when the lamp is used normally. I was envisioning a function more like the new “night shift” in iOS, where the color temperature is adjusted automatically based on the time of day. FEATURE REQUEST: Night shift mode.

3. One of the things I like to do with my Hue is have them go to night light mode (orange light, very dim) when I arm the alarm stay at night. With the ADC implementation, in a rule I can either dim OR change the color. Currently I have two rules (one to dim to 10%, one to change to orange) but I’m not sure if this will work as intended - will report back. FEATURE REQUEST: Allow changing brightness and color in a single rule.

4. The color picker in the app does not show you a “swatch” of the color you are picking which makes it difficult to choose custom colors. FEATURE REQUEST: Color picker swatch.

Other thoughts: pairing with a 2GIG panel worked flawlessly, though “tapping the bulb” to pair it was weird. The bulb is not as bright as the Hue bulbs. When the bulb changes to different colors it pops directly to the next color, as opposed to the Hue which “fades” in between colors - seems like a small thing but makes the Hue seem more refined.

Some followup:

On #1 (“make the lights green when dad gets home”), I left and came back and the geofence function did not work. This may be nothing to do with the bulb as I haven’t used my geofences in a while so I’m not sure they are working.

On #3 (Allow changing brightness and color in a single rule), it does seem to work correctly with two separate rules - one to dim and one to change color. This makes this feature less urgent, it’s just an extra step in setup.

Further thoughts: I am not liking the color quality on the Zipato bulb compared to the Hue. The “warm” color temp is not as warm as the Hue, but the most glaring difference is the “orange” that I use for night light mode. See attached image, Zipato on the left and Hue on the right. Finally the brightness is really problematic - I cannot find any specs on the brightness of this bulb but it is noticeably dimmer than the Hue, which was already kind of bare minimum at 800 lumens peak.

I’ve done some further research and found that the Aeotec bulb that is also ADC compatible looks to be color despite having “white” in the description. I may send back the Zipato and try the Aeotec to see if it’s any better.

This is some really great feedback! I’ve shot the feature suggestions over to Alarm.com so they can take a look at the things under their control. The bulb color quality I’m not sure can be spoken to.

We’ll update this thread with any response. Hopefully they’ve got some of this in the works.

Thanks Jason. Agree they can’t do anything about the color quality or the brightness, other than adding support for more bulbs. And I know there aren’t a lot of color z-wave bulbs out there, and integration with another IP service like Hue or Lifx isn’t likely.