Alarm.com and Trane ComfortLink II XL1050/Nexia

I’ve begun adding Zwave devices to my alarm system. I had this controller added to my HVAC specifically because of Z-Wave. It appears to be a bridge and not simply a Z-Wave device. When I try to add it, it appears to want to copy the Z-Wave network instead of letting me control in.

Any idea how to get this to work (either as another controller or as an added device under Alarm.com).

Side note, this is linked to Nexia for control over wifi right now. Not sure if that’s another option I should be looking at (alarm.com and Nexia integration).

Anyone?

The Trane Comfortlink wifi thermostat is not compatible with Alarm.com service.

While you can link a secondary Z-wave controller to most alarm panels, this won’t give you control over normally incompatible devices. Alarm.com cannot send non-z-wave commands through a secondary system.

When you pair two Z-wave controllers, one is set as a primary controller and shares its Z-wave device list with the secondary. Commands can then come from either controller to compatible Z-wave devices.

However ADC would still only issue commands through the Alarm panel. Nexia through its bridge.

I have a Trane xl824 thermostat connected via Z-Wave to my iq2 panel with alarm.com. I knew there wasn’t going to be any functionality, however I’m simply using it as a bridge to reinforce my existing Z-Wave Network. Weather or not my Z-Wave devices use the thermostat as a bridge, I don’t really know. It shows up as a controller device on my Z-Wave devices in the IQ2 panel/amarm.com environment but shows up as “bridge” in the thermostat. It’s controlled by Nexia.

If it is displayed as a controller in the Z-wave device list in the IQ Panel, I don’t believe it would be repeating signals. You could double check using the network map in the Z-wave Diagnostics area of Z-wave tests menu.

Make sure I was clear in my original ask. I’m not looking for the Trane device to issue the commands to other devices. I’m simply looking to send commands to the device to have it act upon them (I.e. change the temperature for HVAC).

I think I understand that a secondary controller simply is an alternative controller to use and send commends to other devices.

Side note that the Trane thermostats are registered with the Alarm.com controller. It just won’t show up in any of the screens I have access to as simply a thermostat.

I thought that might confuse things. The other poster is referencing a different model and the response is not necessarily related.

The Trane ComfortLink II XL1050 is a controller.

You may be able to pair it as a secondary controller but that just creates two parallel networks. You cannot send ADC commands to the Trane ComfortLink II XL1050. There is no way to do that.

Yep - got confused. Understand now. The 1050 only acts as a controller and not a device. Very unfortunate for both companies.

My only option it appears, is to perhaps use Alexa as the controller for both using routines. It won’t allow me to proactively take action based on an event but it will allow me to give one command and execute the various tasks in a given environment.

Yeah, Alexa routines would be a great option to control both at the same time.

Is it possible to control (i.e., send commands to) the XL824 from ADC through the 2Gig GC3 penal?

No. The XL824 is not compatible.

See the Alarm.com ecosystem page for a list of supported thermostats.

As Jason already mentioned, no I cannot control it nor does it recognize it as a thermostat.

Trane/Nexia have recently announced opening up to SmartThings platform, but no mention of ADC.

Its too bad, these trane thermostats are pretty jammed packed with features and were ahead of their time when they came out. As best as I know, there aren’t many wifi thermostats that can support z-wave?

This is a good point. Of all the times I looked at the z-wave map, I’ve never seen my devices hop off the Trane thermostat, however, when I click on the nodes beside it (i.e locks, etc.), the Trane thermostat is listed as one of the nearest neighbors for most devices.

Let’s all put in suggestion in that they integrate with alarm.com. Lennox is already doing it, they recently add my q for garage doors, and others.

I recently added IFTTT automation with these 2 devices/services. I use when android receives a notification from alarm.com with keyword “any keyword you are looking for”, then perform an automation rule on trane. My biggest miss after changing my AC units was not being able to have them automatically turn off when windows or doors were left open on accident or purpose then to have them resume schedule after they were closed. I have included screenshots of both functions.