Alarm.com Amazon Echo integration

Hi Jason, thanks for the response.
I received my second Echo today and I am having issues setting it up with Alarm.com.

My configuration is that I have two houses, two Echoes and 1 Amazon Prime account. After adding the second Echo to my account, it seems that the skills are shared between the Echoes. So, I cannot simply login using the other set of credentials for the other house. Seems like I have to deregister the Alarm.com skill and re-register it with the the login of whatever house I’m in and that I want to control.

Do I have to use a separate Amazon account to able to have each Echo have an Alarm.com skill with separate login for each house?

Any ideas?

Ahh, I see the issue. Ok. So there is no way to designate separate Alarm.com accounts in the Amazon skill. You are right, it looks like at this time you cannot split echoes between multiple systems with the one prime account.

Are there any skills that let you do so? I’m not familiar with others.

I’m thinking that a decent feature request is for alarm.com to have the ability to switch. For example “Alexa tell alarm.com to switch to Main House” or “Alexa tell alarm.com to switch to vacation house”

I’m thinking that a decent feature request is for alarm.com to have the ability to switch. For example “Alexa tell alarm.com to switch to Main House” or “Alexa tell alarm.com to switch to vacation house”

This is a possible workaround, but I’m not sure how much it would take to develop vs. the realistic application given the possible issues.

Being able to possibly (accidentally) affect changes at a residence you are not in is a bit dangerous, as there would be no verification I can think of which indicates which residence you are currently affecting.

In the ADC App, the system location name is displayed at the top, so if you have multi-system access, you know which system you are controlling. With voice activation there wouldn’t really be a check in place.

For what it’s worth you can do this today but you have to set up an extra Amazon account. No additional Prime fee because you can add it to your household. Then you can use one Amazon account for one house and one for the other. “Alexa, switch accounts” will switch them. How Do Household Accounts Work on Alexa Devices? - Amazon Customer Service

I will be buying the Gen 2 Echo Dot when they ship on October 20th.

I will be getting 3 to start.

Does each one need to be configured separately or can you configure one and make it so the other 2 copy the settings (e.g. allowing ADC integration)

You integrate the Echo with Alarm.com by signing into echo.amazon.com and using the credentials you previously set up with Amazon. Then from there you will navigate to a login for Alarm.com and use your ADC credentials and complete the integration process.

Individual devices are not linked to Alarm.com, the integration is completely on the back-end. The devices would be set up as normal through Amazon.

Does each one need to be configured separately or can you configure one and make it so the other 2 copy the settings (e.g. allowing ADC integration)

Everything about the Echo ecosystem is based on your Amazon account. You install the Alarm.com skill under your Amazon account, and any Echo devices you link to your Amazon account can use it. This is true with any skill (it would suck to have to redo everything every time you got a new Echo device)

Of course this has a down side - my wife and I have separate Amazon accounts, and Echo can switch between the accounts, but then you have to redo anything you set up on the second account. In practice we don’t do this, and just always use my wife’s account.

Does Surety forward product enhancement requests?

I was thinking that adding “Alexa, tell ADC to send silent alarm” might be a good feature and make it so the echo does not audibly confirm.

Could be a great tool in a hostage or invasion scenario.

Will there be a thread or “sticky” that updates us of added commands or features when it comes to Echo?

Does Surety forward product enhancement requests?

Of course. If you have any suggestions for Alarm.com features or improvements we are happy to send those along for consideration.

I will say that I do not believe this sort of thing could be implemented, as triggering a direct police response must come directly from the Alarm system and I want to say that third party control would not meet UL standards. Would need to look into that.

Will there be a thread or “sticky” that updates us of added commands or features when it comes to Echo?

New and updated features will be posted in Alarm.com Release notes.

If you have a zwave diner vs a on off switch, I don’t think you can tell it to turn off or on light. I think you have to say set dimmer to 100% to turn on and set to 0% to turn off.

Has anyone gotten a dimmer to work by just saying turn on or turn off?

Yes, we use Alexa with dimmer switches. “Alexa, ask Alarm.com to turn off the dining room light” works.

Yep you should be able to directly control on/off as above. Have you tried that?

I got it to work. Can someone confirm these tips or expand on them:

Don’t name your lights with the word “light” in the title. For example just name living room light “Living Room”. This is because you say they word “light” at the end of any light command and naming the device light confuses the system as you will have to say " light " 2 times to the Echo

You have to say the word “the” before the device. For example “turn on THE living room floor light”

I think it uses the “the” word to distinguish between one light and a bunch of lights with the same name. If I omit the “the” and say “turn on living room lights” it will turn on all three that have the word living room in them

Any other tips or modification to these tips?

Effort is placed on making speech acceptance logical and natural, and I think you are correct on all counts there.

Don’t name your lights with the word “light” in the title

This is likely the biggest one that might throw people early if I recall from testing.

Any updates on when ADC will be enabling Alexa smart home skills (i.e. so we don’t have to say “Tell alarm.com to…”)

I am experiencing echo not arming my system consistently. It says that it will and asks me to confirm, I confirm, echo acknowledges, but frequently the alarm doesn’t arm. Anyone else having this problem?

Any updates on when ADC will be enabling Alexa smart home skills (i.e. so we don’t have to say “Tell alarm.com to…

Not as of now, this would be found in Alarm.com release notes which can be accessed in the sidebar of our site.

It says that it will and asks me to confirm, I confirm, echo acknowledges, but frequently the alarm doesn’t arm.

Do you use it for other commands regularly? Are these working without issue?

Other echo commands function fine. Just arming

Just to verify, the Echo will only arm stay. Are you trying to arm away in these circumstances?