Alarm.com Amazon Echo integration

I’ve been told that stating “light” at the end of your command should resolve this issue. (I’m a little dubious, but let’s try it)

so, “Alexa, tell Alarm.com to turn on lamp one light”

Any change?

Ok, so I used the command "Alexa, ask Alarm.com to turn on lamp one light” and she said she was unable to find that light it my device list.

So I renamed “Lamp One” to “TV Lamp” and now it works when I say "Alexa, ask Alarm.com to turn on TV Lamp.”

So I tried "Alexa, tell Alarm.com to turn on cabinet” and she replied with the “I couldn’t find any Thermostats on your account.” so I tried the "Alexa, ask Alarm.com to turn on cabinet light” and it worked.

So I wanted to see if she could turn on groups of lights. So I used the "Alexa, ask Alarm.com to turn on indoor lights” and she says she can’t find that in the device list. Even though I have a group called “Indoor Lights”.

I guess she is just really picky on how you invoke your devices. I’m going to hold out for the Smart Home skill that they are still working on. With time this will need to improve so it can become more useful.

Jason thanks for all your help on this. At this time I consider this case resolved.

From what I have been told, improvements are on the way.

Happy to help out. Let us know if you have any other questions or issues.

The “device does not respond to…” Issue isnt resolved yet

The “device does not respond to…” Issue isnt resolved yet

Currently, the proper way to control a fixture:

Say you have a light named “Living Room”

“Alexa, ask Alarm.com to turn on Living Room light”

Because it is not directly integrated as a Home skill yet, you must use “ask Alarm.com” and indicate the “light” portion at the end.

Yeah but somehow for me it did initially work as a home skill, and it still turns off the fixture if i don’t say the ADC part. So was it initially enabled and then disabled and I’m just stuck in a limbo state?

Yeah but somehow for me it did initially work as a home skill, and it still turns off the fixture if i don’t say the ADC part. So was it initially enabled and then disabled and I’m just stuck in a limbo state?

I’m not sure why portions would function without, I haven’t been able to test this myself yet, but it should not be expected to function properly at this time unless using the full statements.

Does it work when using the full statement or do you see similar inconsistency?

Hi,

New to the forum but here’s my two cent on what’s going on with the integration. There was review on the Amazon Skills on how to set up the Smart Home feature for ADC and I had enabled both this and the skill from the link. So that’s when I realized that there are 2 different ADC skills. One is beta and the other is the commercial release. Now on Amazon skills you can see both ADC app but one is from Alarm.com and the other from Aaron Roberts.

The Beta version integrates it as a Smart home and Alexa is able to discover all my light devices. I am able to say “Alexa turn on kitchen lights”, but then Alexas would tell me that command does not work with that device and turns off that light. If I check the history I can see that an off command was sent to that light instead of on. It always sends an off command no matter the command.

The commercial version seems to work but with a few hiccups. It never understands what I say… Maybe I need to redo the voice training. I can’t say “Alexa turn on …” but I can say "Alexa, tell Alarm.Com to turn on …"and it will work. As other users mention, not very seamless integration. Just have to wait for the integration with Smart Home.

For those who said it worked in the beginning when they said “Alexa turn on…”… I’m thinking that ADC could have removed the smart home integration and put it in the Beta or they enabled the Beta from one of the reviews.

The commercial version seems to work but with a few hiccups. It never understands what I say… Maybe I need to redo the voice training. I can’t say “Alexa turn on …” but I can say “Alexa, tell Alarm.Com to turn on …”and it will work. As other users mention, not very seamless integration. Just have to wait for the integration with Smart Home.

Yep, ADC is indeed working to get this added as a Smart Home skill rather than general to improve the integration.

Have had Alexa since it was available to Prime Members. Not impressed at all. It comes alive when I sneeze, skills aren’t categorized, BT pairing isn’t consistent…good on paper but who can memorize 30 gazillion ‘skills’ to use it efficiently?

Only thing I use it for now is a decent bluetooth speaker, and then the first couple of pairings usually fail. Plus my granddaughter likes her, she’s 3 and her name is Alexa. :slight_smile:

Anyone figure out if/how to trigger the new “scenes” from the Echo yet?

Anyone figure out if/how to trigger the new “scenes” from the Echo yet?

AFAIK scene activations are only a function of the App at this time, but I can’t imagine they wouldn’t make their way to Skills.

I’ll double check to make sure.

Any hope for Siri integration in the future ?

No real answer available now on this, but I wouldn’t rule anything out. Nest integration was a surprise (though inevitable I’d say).

Any updates on this? I bought a fire tv and an echo and then they deleted the skill thing and made them sort of worthless.

Any updates on this? I bought a fire tv and an echo and then they deleted the skill thing and made them sort of worthless.

Are you referring to how to control automation through Echo?

Currently you must simply address Alexa to ask Alarm.com to turn on the specified device. ADC did not have an ETA for the Home Skill vs General Skill.

Are you not able to control devices? Or is there a separate issue you are referring to in the thread?

I mean the home skill aspect of it that they initially rolled out and then pulled so we don’t have to say “ask adc to…”

As this is integration with a third party system it is not entirely in ADC control. No ETA as of yet on it becoming a Home skill, but it’s coming.

I have two homes and two Alarm.com systems on my account.

I have the Echo set up with Alarm.com in my primary home. When I set up the Alarm.com skill, I just had to login using my Alarm.com credentials. Works OK.

I am thinking of purchasing a second Echo for the other home. Any ideas how I will be able to configure it to control my other system? I haven’t found a way that this configuration can be made and I hesitate buying another Echo.

I suppose I can take my Echo to my other home and reconfigure the Alarm.com skill. Perhaps it knows which system based on where it is??

Any ideas?

While you can access both Alarm.com accounts with one login if you are using ADC Multi-System Access, there is still a unique primary login for both accounts.

You should be able to set up your second system’s primary login to set up the Alarm.com Skill with your second Echo.

If you log into the Alarm.com website and navigate to the Profile tab, select “Manage Logins” Hover over the login names and it will tell you which is the primary login associated with the location account you are currently logged into.