Alarm Activation through App

I’m working on installing my 2GIG system. I’m using a couple security cameras that alert me via text on movement.

Is there any way to remotely activate my alarm via the alarm.com app to scare off an intruder?

Is there any way to remotely activate my alarm via the alarm.com app to scare off an intruder?

No

My suggestion is you go with hybrid night vision capable, infared camera/passive infared motion detectors which will trigger an alarm event as well as email/text you…Image Sensors for interior, and that you also go with perimeter sensors for doors/windows.

OR compliment the cameras with standard passive infared motion detectors.

Keep in mind, that even if you lose power, or internet, the Image Sensors will still function, still capture images and notify you, but cameras will not and will be offline.

This still doesn’t achieve what I want to do. We have animals that cruise our yard all night long as well as people that come work in our yard. My cameras are night capable and I use Blue Iris for motion detection and alerts.

I don’t want to tie my alarm function to motion sensors due to the high probability of false alarms.

I’m very disappointed that you can’t trigger the alarm remotely!

Surveillance isn’t what the panel is for (though it can be used to trigger surveillance recordings via rules). The Image sensor is the only sensor that is also a night capable camera (infared), that is dual purpose as camera and alarm initiating sensor, but it is interior only.

The 2GIG system is primarily for interior and home perimeter (doors/windows), though there are outdoor motions that will work for triggering alarm events.

PIRs can be configured to not report to central station (local alarm activation only), or you can configure them as zone type 23 “no response” with notification, in which case they wont initiate alarm events.

You can also configure two sensors so that both must activate within a certain time frame in order to trigger an alarm event so as to prevent false alarms (Q33 Cross Sensor verification Zone 47 & 48). If one activates only, it sends a trouble event to panel, and notification if configured for one.

I appreciate your input. I still think it is lacking that you can’t activate a ‘Panic’ alarm from the alarm.com app.

I appreciate your input. I still think it is lacking that you can’t activate a ‘Panic’ alarm from the alarm.com app.

In a general sense, the built-in functions of any alarm system will be based on taking care of intrusion detection, deterrence, and reporting without the need for external control.

A Panic Signal cannot be started from off-site. Any alarm event generating a signal and monitoring response must be caused locally.

However, all that said, it is actually pretty easy to do what you are looking to accomplish.

A Z-wave plug in switch, a wired siren, and an appropriate power transformer for the siren specs would give you a Z-wave “Light Switch” in Alarm.com you can turn on and off remotely. The power supply would be directly wired to the siren, so that turning on the module turned on the siren, and turning off the module turns off the siren. Note this would require Interactive Gold service.

I have my z-wave outlet ready to go. Just a question on the siren.

What will I need to power a Ademco 748? Can I just modify a simple 12vdc 1.2amp charger?

1. Rated Voltage 12VDC2.
    Current Draw 1.2
    Amp max. @ 12VDC3.

Something like this should be good. You can use a pigtail with the barrel plug as is or cut the barrel plug off and directly wire positive and negative.