Aladdin connect limitations?

I would like to add my garage door to my system. Does the Aladdin connect have any limitations with the Alarm.com integration vs something like the GD00Z-8-GC?

Functionally a Z-wave Garage opener is a device paired with and controlled directly by the local alarm panel. MyQ or Aladdin Connect/OHD Anywhere are back end integrations with wifi connected devices. For most panels the big difference is no control from the local panel.

Qolsys IQ Panel 2 and IQ Panel 4 however can also control the doors from the panel via automatic integration from ADC.

I use Aladdin Connect integration with ADC, it works perfectly fine, no 3rd part module is required.

Are you able to use your garage status in any automations? As with all the other 3rd party web integrations it seems to have very basic status, open, close functionality from the app only. I was not able to get the Aladdin door added to the panel but I might be missing something.

Do either of you know if any of the contact sensors will work on a garage door? The iq mini sensor says it has support for garages but I’m not seeing how one would set that up. My attempts to add the iq mini on my garage door did not go well. Really would just like to get an alert if garage is left open. Aladdin supports this but I’m not a fan of relying on a separate app.

to be honest, I’m pretty much content with all basic functions provided by this integration, but if you want something more advanced i guess it’s possible - for example, it’s possible to use specific garage door state in scenes, let’s say in Away scene, so whenever you arm your system, it can close garage door in case it’s open.

Regarding the garage sensor- I personally use Qolsys tilt sensor that I bought really cheap on ebay (for like $15), i’ve seen no false alarms yet, it’s pretty reliable for me. It’s also possible to use PG9945 with some external magnet/reed switch, but you really need pretty strong magnet.

Do either of you know if any of the contact sensors will work on a garage door? The iq mini sensor says it has support for garages but I’m not seeing how one would set that up. My attempts to add the iq mini on my garage door did not go well. Really would just like to get an alert if garage is left open. Aladdin supports this but I’m not a fan of relying on a separate app.

Typically a tilt sensor would be used for this. However this would be superfluous to the Aladdin Connect. You can create a Garage Left Open notification in Alarm.com using the Aladdin Connect status.

Navigate to Notifications > New Notification > select Garage Left Open

For automation visit the Automation page in the Alarm.com website and create a new event triggered rule. You can automate the door when the system is armed/disarmed.

This is great. I didn’t realize the garage notification was separate from the door notification so I didn’t see it the first time around. I’ve noticed a little delay in the ADC app updating status vs Aladdin but that’s no big deal and this should meet my needs quite well.

If I have any further issues I’ll use the tilt sensor Firegate mentioned.

Thanks again

To follow up here, the Aladdin integration does appear to have some issues with reporting status correctly. There’s sometimes a long delay between when the garage is closed and when ADC shows the door as closed. Sometimes the ADC app doesn’t update at all. In all of these situations, the Aladdin app has reported the correct status. This issue causes a lot of false alerts when the ADC open door notification rule is enabled. @jwcsurety this might be an issue worth reporting to ADC.

I’m seeing the same issues too (I started another thread about this). It had been rock solid for over a year, but recently the integration is very unreliable.

I’ve followed up with our primary Alarm.com rep to get this escalated quickly, as the problems were resolved for a short time and then resurfaced. Based on reports, the issue is in the back-end connection between ADC and Genie.

Thank you Jason. Glad to hear I am not the only one.

As you said it is definitely the backend connection between genie and ADC since the Genie app is reporting the correct status.

ADC confirmed it was an issue with the Genie API. It is expected to be resolved by an update next week.

Status from Aladdin seems to be much better the last few days. Hopefully this is fixed for good. Thank you.

Thanks for confirming. Let us know if you do see it again.