Advice on system design

I have an ancient Napco Gem-3200 panel, and the cellular monitoring bill just went up to 57$ a month. The touchtone wizard module provides no control anymore and there’s no video. It sure seems like a terrible deal compared with what’s offered here and I think the reduction in monthly cost will pay for the new equipment quickly and provide better features.

I’d like advice on the system that will integrate with some of the existing hardware, and understand what info I need to collect to ensure compatibility with various takeover modules and converters.

I have a solid level of proficiency with circuits, wiring, microcontrollers and the like.

My current system has a bunch of wired smoke/co2s(6), door switches(5), stairwell motion(1), panel tamper(1) and an old school thermostat(1) wired as a normally open low temp alert. It has two sirens, two keypads and 12 volt backup.

I get that times have changed and am happy to gut the old stuff, but I don’t like tossing perfectly good and nicely installed stuff unless it’s useless.

There is no internet access at this time but there may be next year. I’m a HomeKit fan so I’d lean in the direction of something with some compatibility there. If that meant no video for now to have some compatibility later, I might go in that direction.

Anyone want to point me in the direction of the main module that seems like the best fit here?

What kind of hardwired smokes are best integrated with a detector detector vs another solution?

Are the siren speakers re-usable?

Thanks so much… my hope is that this topic will be useful for someone else down the road.

Reusing system components is a common question and certainly a good idea to limit up front costs. If you have a lot of sensors a wired to wireless translator will be very cost effective.

I would recommend testing and trying to reuse all intrusion alarm sensors, however keep in mind existing keypads cannot be reused, and always check life safety devices like Smoke Detectors for their expiration date, and expect to replace them if the system is very old.

You can find our panel bundles here.

There are two hardwired-to-wireless translator options for the standard 319.5 mhz model of the panel.

PowerG Hardwire Module. (PowerG RF, supports 18 2-wire smokes)

IQ Hardwire 16F. (319.5 RF, supports 10 2-wire smokes)

The Hardwire 16F specifically states to use one of the following models of smokes: System Sensor 2W-B, 2WT-B, or 2WTA-B

Do not mix and match wired smoke detector models, use all the same model.

Are the siren speakers re-usable?

Maybe. Are they sirens or are they speakers?

A piezo siren can be reused, though depending on the power draw of your model you may need a separate relay and power supply. The panel and modules support lower amperage sirens.

The siren outputs are relays, not speaker drivers. If you have speakers there would be no driver for it.

The panel has a built in 85 db siren as well.

Thanks so much for helping me out!

My goal is that all alarms can be heard through the house like they are now. I am under the assumption that the old sirens are speakers because they have voice announcements.

You mention that both hardwire modules work with 2 wire hardwired smokes. I have a couple SYSTEM SENSOR CO1224T Carbon Monoxide Detectors. https://www.systemsensor.com/en-us/Documents/CO1224T_TR_Manual_I56-3111.pdf

They are billed as 4 wire and according to that pdf, have no sound of their own.

In the powerG manual they do offer up a wiring for a four wire detector…
https://cms.dsc.com/download.php?t=1&id=25781

Since those detectors don’t draw more that 75ma it would appear they are ok.

I see that the PowerG has a relay for a siren. Do you offer anything to utilize the relay or is it there another remote siren option?

Does the IQ assume that the smokes/co2s are making their own noise?

Thanks so much.

I can answer some of these me personally I recommend the powerg wireless smokes because if the IQ panel if one goes off they all go off and if ur wanting additional sirens I recommend the Powerg indoor siren for inside and then placing a Powerg outdoor siren outside as it has a strobe as well both these devices r wireless

Since those detectors don’t draw more that 75ma it would appear they are ok.

Yes, should be fine, use Aux 2 for power application of Smoke/CO detectors, and there is a 700ma max current shared for connected devices.

I see that the PowerG has a relay for a siren. Do you offer anything to utilize the relay or is it there another remote siren option?

We do not sell wired sirens if that is what you mean, but one could be used. Other options include a secondary IQ Remote keypad which also has a siren built in and mirrors the main panel sounds, or wireless PowerG sirens like the PG9901.

Does the IQ assume that the smokes/co2s are making their own noise?

The panel has a built in siren and sounds for any Smoke/CO alarm. However, I would generally recommend using detectors with built in sounders, or as you’re probably anticipating, adding something like a PowerG wireless siren in areas where the panel is not loud enough.