Advice for upgrading from old hardwired DSC system to Qolsys IQ Panel 4

I am a complete DIY and home security noob and would appreciate some advice.

I bought a house with a hardwired security system featuring multiple, 20-year old DSC panels (each, a PowerSeries model LCD5500Z), two motion detectors, a couple of window sensors and a smoke/CO alarm.

Through SuretyHome, I would like to upgrade to the Qolsys IQ Panel 4, but want to keep what I can of my existing system. Is this possible? Or are all of the hardwired components more or less useless now?

Photos of a panel and a motion sensor attached.

you will not be able to reuse the keypads but to resuse all of your wired sensors you will need a IQ Hardwire translator ( See Here) 1 keypad would be replaced with the IQ Panel and if you want to replace the others as well you will either need an IQ remote (if you want to be able to use automation and video like on the main panel) (See here for IQ Remote) or a DSC powerG keypad for basic arm,disarm, panic, and door chime options (See Here for DSC Keypad) I use the DSC keypad on my system with the added power adapter in addition to the batteries for better response but keep in mind with that keypad you can only control security functions not video or automation. Hope that helps!

1 Like

Thank you for all of that!

Two follow-up questions:

(1) do I need the large enclosure that you linked to or the small enclosure?
(2) do I need the backup battery, given that I already have one in my existing system?

See attached photo of the existing hardwired system.

Thank you, again!

I would recommend the large enclosure. This is for two reasons. If you have less sensors then it has connectors for you will have expansion of hardwired zones in the future and as an IT pro and security hobbyist I always recommend the ability to expand. The second reason is it replaces your existing DSC enclosure. With the larger size this will be more aesthetically pleasing as it will take up roughly the same space without the need for paint or wall touchups. As for the battery I always recommend getting a new battery when replacing the enclosure as that battery may be fine but it could die tomorrow and you would have to buy one anyway. This way you know you have a few years before it has to be replaced.

Also based on the number of zone wires I can see (12 I think) you will need the large enclosure to connect them all as it can hold 15

Thanks! I greatly appreciate the help!

This saves me from having to purchase a bunch of new sensors and alarms.

Appreciate it!

No problem happy to help!

Great advice here, one additional thing, if the smoke and CO detectors are 20 years old they would be expired. Plan on replacing those.

Wireless smoke and CO detectors compatible with the panel are below:

Thanks, Jason! How will I know if the detectors are dead (besides the obvious…)?

Smoke and CO devices have a definitive expiration date due to how they function. It will be printed on the device.

Got it! Thank you.

While I have you, I had some external professional installer tell me that the upgrade would take two full days to install. Does that sound reasonable? Needless to say, if it takes a professional installer two whole days, it’s going to take me considerably longer. On the other hand, he didn’t think a wired-to-wireless upgrade was even possible, so I am skeptical he knows what he’s talking about.

Does Surety have a guide about replacing panels (both the keypad and the enclosure)?

Thanks, again, for your help!

Sounds like to me he is thinking rewiring the system which if that was done yes it can take up 2 but upgrade ur doing no

I had some external professional installer tell me that the upgrade would take two full days to install. Does that sound reasonable? … On the other hand, he didn’t think a wired-to-wireless upgrade was even possible, so I am skeptical he knows what he’s talking about.

It’s hard to comment, and I don’t want to call anyone out unnecessarily because I am not sure what they are quoting you exactly. It sounds like that individual isn’t experienced with the equipment you are requesting and may be suggesting something different.

If the system is currently known to be fully functional, under 16 zones, and requires very little troubleshooting, a quote of two full 8 hour work days for a professional installer to put in a Hardwire 16F and a Qolsys panel would have to include about 12 hours for naps.

Qolsys provides a streamlined straightforward installer guide for the Hardwire 16F.

Physically replacing the keypad with the IQ Panel is pretty easy, but some guidelines from the manual must be considered. You can reuse the existing wiring typically, but you must connect the plug in power supply included with the IQ Panel at the other end to power it.

Depending on the length of the cable you may need to double the conductors (2 for + 2 for -) since there are typically 4 in a keypad cable. In rare circumstances it may just be too long. How long is the keypad wire run? If under 75 feet you should be ok this way.