Adding zwave devieces to the system enhancement module

Hello! I’m having issues adding devices to the system enchancement module. The first thing I wanted to add was the SmartThings and make the sem a secondary controller like you can do for most other alarm.com zwave modules. But I couldn’t get that to work so I just tried a single device (a GE outdoor zwave plug) and I think based on what the manual said which lights would blink, it added the device to the module but it won’t show up on alarm.com. While I’m asking questions I’ll also ask if there is any reason why when I disarm from the app it sends the disarm command twice. It work just fine and disarms but it is a little annoying hearing it disarm two times. Thank you!

The first thing I wanted to add was the SmartThings and make the sem a secondary controller like you can do for most other alarm.com zwave modules.

Secondary panel interaction is a trait of the Z-wave controller and panel firmware. I would be skeptical to think that the SEM would be very friendly in this manner. However, that’s not to say it could never happen in the future. We’ll see if ADC has plans on allowing third party integration. I wouldn’t think it would be in the pipeline yet since the product is so new.

I just tried a single device (a GE outdoor zwave plug) and I think based on what the manual said which lights would blink, it added the device to the module but it won’t show up on alarm.com.

We’ve run an equipment update request, but the SEM is reporting no new devices. Was this Zwave device used in a network previously? Keep in mind that the Zwave devices will retain their last parent network link until it is cleared using a “Remove Device” or “Clear Device” command, depending on the panel. For the SEM:

“2. Press and hold the button on the module.
3. Release the button once the L2 LED flashes in groups of four.
4. Press and hold the button on the module a second time.
5. Release the button once the L2 LED flashes in groups of two.
6. Trigger a device to erase its network data and delete it from the network.
7. When a device is deleted successfully, LED 2 will stay lit.
8. You will need to re-enter Delete Mode before triggering the next device.
In most cases, the same trigger used to add a device is used to delete the device from the network.
Devices should be removed from Alarm.com within twenty seconds after being triggered.
If the device is not deleting, you may need to move the device closer to the panel and try again.”

While I’m asking questions I’ll also ask if there is any reason why when I disarm from the app it sends the disarm command twice. It work just fine and disarms but it is a little annoying hearing it disarm two times. Thank you!

This is actually standard. The SEM actually receives two disarms each time, which is currently necessary. It shouldn’t otherwise affect things. (I’ll need to verify but I believe this is in part due to how Life Safety alarms work on Vista panels)

Hi thank you for the reply! I had this in the smartthings hub and went through the removal process and got it removed from that hub. It sometimes flashes the error light when adding the module (also tried with a zwave lock I have, same thing), so I try again by deleting it from the sem which is successful and then readding which says it’s successful but nothing on alarm.com

Ok I actually have something new to add… I realized if I could get the tuxedo successfully added as a secondary to the alarm.com module that would show me exactly what devices it had w/o going through alarm.com. And it worked and there was both the lock and the plug module. I was also able to get the module to turn on successfully from the tuxedo’s automation controller. So it looks like it isn’t updating alarm.com properly. I have tried rebooting it and the panel with no luck.

There is commonly a delay in new devices showing up in Alarm.com after being added to the Z-wave network. Are the Z-wave devices connected to the SEM now?

Let’s rule things out here and keep all other controllers out of the mix. If you directly add the light and lock to the SEM, we can troubleshoot with some additional commands. I’m not sure what effect secondary controller interactions would have on the SEM, so that might be causing a problem. (It might not as well, but we want to rule it out)

I realized if I could get the tuxedo successfully added as a secondary to the alarm.com module that would show me exactly what devices it had w/o going through alarm.com. And it worked and there was both the lock and the plug module.

This is interesting, and a good test! Unfortunately the SEM may not be playing well with other controllers itself. If we can isolate the devices on the SEM by itself, ADC will be able to troubleshoot.

I’ll go and delete the tuxedo now! And delete and re add the light too.

Ok, so I have connected the light again without the tuxedo being connected. I wanted to add that it looks like it’s only the zwave portion that’s not working. I can disarm just fine still.

Alright, thank you. We’ve looked into it and it looks like the SEM Z-wave radio was not responding with either response we would expect whether there were devices learned in or not, so ADC has reset the Z-wave radio. This should be resolved, but the devices learned in will need to be removed and re-added to verify. Let us know when this is done and we will run an equipment request to be sure.

So I have the lock and the module on the app now, I can get them to work (it seems pretty slow though even with the plug right next to the sem). The odd thing though is there are two of the same device one that responds and one that doesn’t. Deleting the device and adding it again doesn’t resolve the issue.

Hmm, we see additional controllers listed as well. Were you attempting to add the other controllers again to the system or were they still connected? Could you remove the Tuxedo and Smart Things controllers?

Alarm.com won’t be able to isolate the issue with additional controllers involved unfortunately.

Oh my bad, I just deleted the tuxedos and I think I got smartthings removed properly too.

How many devices should be seen currently on the system? (not counting duplicates)

I’m curious if the duplicates are caused by the other controllers.

There should be 6 things total. The odd thing though is that I had the duplicates on the lock and two of my modules before I tried adding any controllers.

Alright, so it looks like there are three devices with duplicates and then 3 other devices in the list.

We will check with ADC to see if this is known behavior and see if those can be cleaned up for you.

Can you confirm which 3 are the duplicates? From our end it looks like nodes (device ID) 4, 7, and 11 are the duplicates. Is that correct? (You can check under the devices page in Alarm.com empower tab)

The three devices which have duplicates will need to be powered down and non-responsive, then we can clear the duplicates from our end and when the devices are powered back up you should only have the three correct ones.

They have all been powered down!

Looks like those should be removed. Look correct?

Almost everything is good. The only other one os ID 25. I had to delete that one and the old ID also stuck.

All should be removed now. Can you check to make sure?

Yes everything looks good! Do you know if this will happen ever time I try to add a device? Or when I try to add devices with my secondary controllers also enrolled?