Adding EBV-105 zwave water shutoff

I’m trying to add this EBV-105 Z-wave water shutoff to my Qolsys panel (alarm.com) and have it activated when my water/flood sensor is tripped.

My issue is that when I pair it with Zwave the Qolsys thinks the device is a LIGHT and I can’t see to tell it any different. Then I can only add automation such as “front door” (which works in testing if I set it up like that. I open front door and it actuates the water shutoff.) How to I tell the panel its not a light and create a rule whereas if a flood sensor is tripped it triggers the shutoff?

http://www.econetcontrols.com/product/econet-z-wave-water-shutoff-ebv105/

Thanks

Matt

The only Z-wave water valve on the Qolsys compatibility list is the Fortrezz WV-01.

The Econet is not officially supported by ADC on any panel I believe.

I’ve read others have gotten this setup successfully on the Qolsys/ADC. It does function it just is recognized as the wrong type of device. I don’t necc care much about “official” support if I can get it to function. Btw this shutoff is substantially cheaper then the other option.

I would typically recommend sticking to the supported devices list for best success.

Are you a suretyDIY subscriber? I don’t see a related subscription. If so we can take a look at the account and troubleshoot. If you do not use suretyDIY, you’ll want to contact your provider for assistance on this.

You cannot manually change the type of device the panel registers when learning in a Z-wave device. This is defined by the initial handshake during the learning process, but there may be some back-end commands which may assist.

Also it’s a good idea to ensure you have the latest firmware when seeing issues with compatibility just in case. Currently that would be 1.6.2.

Thanks for your answer btw.

Let me approach this from a different way. Is there any way I can create the automation to activate a Zwave LIGHT when my flood sensor is tripped? :>

Sure, you can still create Light rules based off an alarm generated by a water sensor, however that will depend on what is enabled and included in your service plan. If you are not a suretyDIY user I cannot speak to any service plan variation.

However, to do so you would go under rules, create a new rule, when an Alarm occurs from a water sensor. You can then turn off the chosen device for a period of time or indefinitely.

Just to follow up on this to help others: After I realized my web-account was missing the empower tab, alarm.com support was kind enough to enable that for me (I’m actually a grandfathered alarm.com self-install customer.)
The Econet was properly identified on the back end, on the empower tab as a water shut off even though the panel still thinks it’s just a light. From there I was able to add the automation rules and everything works great. Even shows up properly on the cell phone app now.

Thanks again for your help. I actually didn’t realize these forums were for suretydiy specific customers as I landed directly here from a google search.

That water shutoff looks very interesting, especially for the price and relative ease of installation. I’ve read in Amazon that folks got this to work with a 2GIG GC3. I assume I would have to use the 2GIG water sensors to automate this for sensing water leaks?

Thanks again for your help. I actually didn’t realize these forums were for suretydiy specific customers as I landed directly here from a google search.

This is indeed the suretyDIY technical support forum but anyone is free to post relevant questions. If you are not a suretyDIY user we won’t be able to assist with some types of questions that require dealer assistance, but we are happy to help when we can!

suretyDIY is a month to month DIY Alarm.com services and monitoring provider.

I assume I would have to use the 2GIG water sensors to automate this for sensing water leaks?

Yep, you would want to use a 345mhz flood sensor, like the RE219.

Just wanted to know if by now (2 years later), the issues with the IQ2 panel not recognizing the EBV-105 Valve as an automated water shutoff valve, have been resolved.

Just wanted to know if by now (2 years later), the issues with the IQ2 panel not recognizing the EBV-105 Valve as an automated water shutoff valve, have been resolved.

This thread is regarding the original IQ Panel, not the IQ Panel 2. However, the EBV-105 is not an officially supported water valve on either Qolsys Panel.

Alarm.com officially supports the WaterCop valve and the Fortrezz WV-01. Qolsys states official support for the Fortrezz model. You can view the list of officially tested and compatible devices here.

The Qolsys UI likely would not recognize the device appropriately, but Alarm.com may, as long as the Qolsys panel can pass along the device details.

Generally I would recommend sticking to the official compatibility list to avoid issues, but multiple users have reported success simply using the Econet EBV-105 as a switch and automating it with Alarm.com rules, so the main functionality would still be there even if it were recognized only as a switch.

thanks, Jason!

I didn’t catch that wrt the IQ vs IQ2.