Add 2GIG as a secondary Zwave Controller on a Vera Lite

You should be able to do so yes. Patience is commonly key. When learning into whichever will be the primary controller, the lock should remain within a few feet for a few minutes. The Control Panel, likewise should remain within a few feet of the Vera when learned in for a few minutes.

Likewise when sending codes, they should typically be saved one code at a time and each will take 3-5 minutes to fully process.

A disarm rule will take 5 minutes or so to be sent after creation.

Once everything is in place it should all work quickly and effectively, but the setup process does demand a slower, more exacting pace to avoid issues since there is a lot of wireless transmission of data.

So I should remove the codes from alarm.com first? Then add them one at a time once everything is paired, waiting five minutes between code additions? I can pair all of the locks at once (waiting between pairs of course)?

So I should remove the codes from alarm.com first? Then add them one at a time once everything is paired, waiting five minutes between code additions? I can pair all of the locks at once (waiting between pairs of course)?

Codes would not need to be removed, but when the locks are removed and re-added they will no longer be listed as the same device and access will need to be given to each user for the locks. Yes you will want to add all the locks to the primary controller first, then after verifying everything is on Alarm.com, give access to codes one by one.

Just to be clear. I pair all of the devices to the Vera (primary). Then I Learn controller from the panel and add device (this panel in this case) to Vera. At this point the panel will eventually gather all of the devices from Vera. Once that is done the panel publishes the devices to alarm.com. Each user will still have all of the codes assigned to them, just not have access to the locks. I go to Users and make the assignments for the locks to each user. Presto-chango all is good?

Correct.

Last step would be the Disarm rules.

My VeraEdge arrived. I unpaired a device, including locks, one at a time from the panel. After each unpair I then paired that device to the VeraEdge. With the locks I had the VeraEdge within 3-5 feet of the 2GIG panel. I did not remove users from alarm.com nor did I do anything with the lock codes. I waited about five minutes for each lock to pair with the VeraEdge. I the Reset the 2gig panel from the Advanced Toolkit section. I verified that alarm.com did not show any devices. I then pressed Learn Controller with the VeraEdge withint 3 feet of the 2GIG panel. I added a generic zwave device with Vera and the panel was learned. Leaving the Vera near the 2GIG I waited until alarm.com showed all of the devices. I renamed them. I deleted the “disarm panel on door unlock with code” rules one after another. Then I added the rules back in. I armed the panel Stay, moved outside of the door and closed the door. I waited until the panel was armed and doors locked (about 60 seconds). Then I unlocked the door. The door unlocked but the panel did not disarm.

I don’t know what to do now.

An update…

I Reset the 2GIG again so all devices were removed. When Alarm.com showed no devices. I deleted all users (except of course the master account which you cannot delete). No users now have access to the locks on alarm.com. I left all devices as is on the Vera. I then went to each lock on Vera and deleted the Pin Codes; waiting until it disappeared from the UI before removing another. Then I removed the lock from the three doors and moved then to within three feet of the 2GIG panel. The fourth one was already installed within three feet so no removal necessary. I then put the 2GIG in Learn controller mode. I added a device to Vera. I then waited a couple of hours before doing anything with the system. After that Vera locks showed pin codes added. After deleting and creating the disarm rules on alarm.com I still cannot disarm the panel upon unlock using a user code. Argh.

Leaving the Vera near the 2GIG I waited until alarm.com showed all of the devices. I renamed them. I deleted the “disarm panel on door unlock with code” rules one after another. Then I added the rules back in. I armed the panel Stay, moved outside of the door and closed the door.

When were new codes added? Codes must be sent through Alarm.com to any new lock to use a disarm rule. Any time you remove and re-add a device, it is a brand new device to Alarm.com and must have codes added through Alarm.com again.

I then went to each lock on Vera and deleted the Pin Codes; waiting until it disappeared from the UI before removing another. Then I removed the lock from the three doors and moved then to within three feet of the 2GIG panel. The fourth one was already installed within three feet so no removal necessary. I then put the 2GIG in Learn controller mode.

This does not sound correct.

1. Learn all Z-wave devices directly into the Vera. They should be within a few feet of the Vera. You should not learn devices into 2GIG directly if it is to be secondary. Devices do not need to be near 2GIG. They need to be close to the controller they are being learned into directly.
  2. Learn 2GIG as a secondary to Vera. In this step, Vera and 2GIG should be within a few feet.
  3. Verify the 2GIG Panel shows the compatible devices.
  4. Verify that Alarm.com shows the devices.
  5. Give user code access to locks through Alarm.com. Do not use Vera for any user code functions. Do not add codes through any method other than Alarm.com. Existing codes in the lock will not trigger a rule. You must give lock access to each user in Alarm.com. It will take a few minutes per user to send all codes.
  6. Create disarm rules.
  7. Test.

We are on the same page. I did all that you say perhaps not very clearly. The only difference is that I made sure that I first deleted the codes from each lock with Vera. Then I removed the users from alarm.com. This was all before adding the 2GIG panel to Vera. All devices were added to Vera before adding the 2GIG to vera. All of the locks were disconnected from the door and were within three feet of the Vera. The Vera was within three feet of the 2GIG. Then I added the 2GIG to the Vera by pressing the Learn button on the 2GIG and Add devices link on the Vera. The 2GIG eventually put up a message indicating it was secondary. I verified that alarm.com showed no devices and no users or lock codes. I then went to alarm.com and added the users and locks codes and permissions to the panel and locks. I added the disarm rules. I then waited a couple of hours. All this time the locks and vera was within three feet of the 2GIG.

Asset Test failed.

You were able to get disarm rules working on locks with them directly learned into the 2GIG panel, correct?

If all steps were followed, another issue exists.

The problem could be:

1. Signalling
  2. Communication between module and panel
  3. Vera Edge version
  4. Or, if you have a very large number of other automation rules you are creating, you may run into memory issues. This seems unlikely since you’ve been removing all devices and rules.

Have you been able to work with your dealer to troubleshoot using Alarm.com diagnostics?

Yes, I was able to get the disarms working no problem with them directly learned into the 2GIG panel.

The EdgeVera is supposed to be a faster processor, more memory, and better equipped radio as it is Z-Wave Plus. Also of note, the panel periodically reports that a door lock has malfunctioned but does not do so when it is the Primary.

Monitronics is useless. They say they cannot get in touch with alarm.com and then just leave it at that. I may just have to wait until I get the next version of the panel.

Just in case, how many repeating Z-wave devices do you have? If your device list is mostly locks, that may create problems with communication of large data packets, like schedules and rules, as battery operated Z-wave devices need a good bit of assistance from repeating nodes for solid communication. Since you seem to have no problem sending codes to the locks, I would presume this to not be the case, but always worth considering.

I have four locks, two linear garage door openers, 10 2-way switches, 3 3-way switches, 2 4-way switches. Spread throughout the house. I have two more switches in the theatre but they are connected to the vera so that the theatre equipment can control them. 2GIG cannot do that as it requires a vera plugin. Thus, the reason I wanted to put all the equipment into the vera as primary and 2GIG as secondary since the vera is much better. But it’s looking like it won’t happen.

Were you going to try this process with the Lite? The Vera Lite should not have an issue if the process is followed and we can rule out the additional controller as the cause if it does present the same problem.

Keep in mind Z-wave Plus is only useful if you have Z-Wave plus devices. non-plus devices can only communicate on the standard protocol.

I did try it with the VeraLite but perhaps I did not wait long enough for the locks to sync up. I might try it again on the weekend. I really want this to work with the Edge but I understand eliminating possibilities.

I have read through as much of the thread as I can and have a pretty good sense of what is involved. One thing I did not see answered (and I apologize if it was and I just missed it) is this… I have one zwave light switch paired with my Vera Lite. All my other zwave devices are paired with my 2GIG panel.

If I configure my 2GIG panel as a secondary controller, will it retain the existing devices and rules as before? And will it add the light switch that is presently on the Vera Lite into its device list and be controllable through the 2GIG panel?

If I configure my 2GIG panel as a secondary controller, will it retain the existing devices and rules as before?

No.

All Z-wave devices must be directly learned into the primary controller. Then learn 2GIG in as a secondary. Compatible devices from the primary will be shared with 2GIG

I now have a VeraSecure device. I have learned all of the 2GiG sensors (door and motion) into the VeraSecure. I did not have to remove them from the 2GIG panel since the 2GIG sensors can be controlled by two controllers. That part is very cool. The only zwave controllers left in the 2GIG are the KwikSet locks. I will now try to remove those locks from the 2GIG and then learn them into the VeraSecure. Then I should be able to set the 2GIG panel as a secondary controller to the VeraSecure. Then the KwikSet locks should be usable with the 2GIG panel to disarm and unlock the doors.

Is my understanding about this solid? Jason?

Interesting I did not see that Vera Secure was supporting 345Mhz 2GIG sensors. 345 Mhz sensors do not save any parent panel link and can be enrolled in multiple at once, yes.

Yes, you would learn any Z-wave devices into the Vera, then pair the 2GIG panel as a secondary controller. Make sure the controllers are in close proximity when pairing.

Yes, as long as there are no compatibility issues you would have control through the 2GIG alarm system as well.

Yes, VeraSecure sees the 2GIG sensors perfectly. It is a very nice controller. I don’t use the security part of it yet since monitoring in my area is not available yet. Plus, I still have a contract obligation with my existing 2GIG monitoring company so 2GIG it is for a while more. But using a much better automation controller (VeraSecure) for all of the devices now is most beneficial.