ADC VDB770 sound and connection issue

Good afternoon,

I have had an ADC VDB770 for awhile. Lately when I pull up the video on my iPhone 13 Pro Max (iOS 16.0.2) there is alot of background noise making it very difficult to hear any actual sound from outside and when I speak through my iPhone to the doorbell, my voice is barely recognizable when listened through the doorbell. Ive tried factory reset, uninstall, reinstall and so on. No change. However, when the doorbell records a video clip captured from the doorbell, such as when someone rings it, the volume and clarity on the RECORDED clip appears normal. Also, when the VDB is sent to the IQ 2 panel, the volume in the video appears to sound normal. I thought maybe the VDB had a problem with its speaker so I bought another unit off eBay. It came with just the doorbell, not the part that attaches to the house. I took the old doorbell off from the mounting plate, uninstalled it. I did a factory reset on the used unit I bought, installed it to the account. I can see the feed on the video setup tab on the website under “video device image” but it will not connect on my iPhone or the panel. I have a solid green light on the VDB and I can ping the doorbell successfully. Also, when I push the doorbell for it to ring, the solid green button changes to blue and flashes two times, but there is no sound omitted from the doorbell itself or from inside my home. Those appropriate settings are set up correctly in the desktop version setup page. Any suggestions to either my old doorbell or for this new one.

Thanks!!

I have had an ADC VDB770 for awhile. Lately when I pull up the video on my iPhone 13 Pro Max (iOS 16.0.2) there is alot of background noise making it very difficult to hear any actual sound

How long has this issue been occurring?
Were you always using the iPhone 13 Pro Max (iOS 16.0.2)?

Ive tried factory reset, uninstall, reinstall and so on. No change.

Does the sound issue occur on a different mobile device?
Are you on the most recent version of the mobile app?

when the doorbell records a video clip captured from the doorbell, such as when someone rings it, the volume and clarity on the RECORDED clip appears normal. Also, when the VDB is sent to the IQ 2 panel, the volume in the video appears to sound normal.

I would expect audio issues on the recordings if the VDB770s mic was bad. If the recordings are good, and the IQ Panel 2 audio is good for calls, then this may be an issue with the mobile device.

I thought maybe the VDB had a problem with its speaker so I bought another unit off eBay. It came with just the doorbell, not the part that attaches to the house. I took the old doorbell off from the mounting plate, uninstalled it. I did a factory reset on the used unit I bought, installed it to the account. I can see the feed on the video setup tab on the website under “video device image” but it will not connect on my iPhone or the panel.

To confirm, the VDB770 that is currently connected, is the one from eBay? The MAC address under Video Device Info matches what is printed on that doorbell?

That unit is pinging but reporting intermittent low signal strength. How far from the router is and what is the upload/download speed at the installation location?

You may need to reboot the router/camera and test.

I have not changed phones recently. If I had to suspect when the issue started, I would say around the time iOS upgraded to iOS 16 but I can’t say for certain. I have not tested on another mobile device. I will try later, but my family only has iPhones so I can’t test android. The Ebay doorbell is currently attached. Yes, the MAC address of the Ebay bell matches what I see in my network and I am on the latest ADC app version. In terms of signal strength, I am getting 80/15 at the install site. The actually percentage strength of the doorbell on the ADC website of the e bay bell is comparable to what I was seeing with my original bell. I have also tried rebooting router with no luck.

If you reinstall the prior VDB770 do you see the same connectivity issue?

Do your other iPhones also have iOS 16? Ideally we would want to just test a prior iOS version if you feel the issue first occurred around then.

@jwcsurety

I just reinstalled my original doorbell. I have no problem connecting to it and it functions as intended Other than the audio feedback issue through my iPhone While viewing live video. I will have to see if my family iPhones have iOS 15 on them tonight before I test further or maybe I can track down an android device. I will follow up tomorrow. Thanks a lot for your help.

@jwcsurety

I tested tonight with other devices. I used my wifes iPhone 13 Pro on iOS 15 and my daughters iPAD on iOS 15 and the doorbell functioned correctly with no issues at all. I also checked the doorbell on an Android 10 tablet with no issues either. Lastly I tested my daughters iPhone 13 Pro Max on iOS 16 and it experienced the same audio issues as my phone. I suspect the problem is with the latest iOS 16 software apple released. Do you agree and can we pass this onto ADC please? I can try to send you a video of the issues I am experiencing if you need.

Thanks for the testing and description. Yes it does sounds like it is likely related to iOS 16. There have been bluetooth issues reported with that version as well.

We’ll forward this to ADC for review and to see if they can identify the cause. Hopefully it is related to an iOS setting which can be adjusted.

Thanks @jwcsurety. I will keep you updated with any changes I see on my end. I appreciate it.

@jwcsurety

UPDATE

iOS 16.1 came out today and I installed it and the issue has been resolved. The VDB and iPhone 13 Pro Max are functioning as intended.

Thanks.

Great news, thanks for the update!

1 Like