ADC-VDB105/6 firmware 3038

What are the changes in firmware 3038 over the prior firmware version?

And is there a bug with the ‘very low’ sensitivity option on alarm.com? Doesn’t seem to detect motion at all when set to this, and the ‘very low’ option doesn’t seem to be avail on Mobile app.

(The issue I have is ‘low’ seems to detect motion when cars go by 10’+ away, whereas I would rather it be just the porch area (3’+).

https://s10.postimg.org/7i22fgs3t/IMG_20180313_164910.jpg

Information on version 3038 is found in release notes 8/21/2017 here.

Deleted

Users can now select the “Very High” option so that the doorbell camera is more sensitive to detecting motion. Over time we will update all currently installed

I have a very low setting (that does not appear to work).
https://s10.postimg.org/7i22fgs3t/IMG_20180313_164910.jpg

I’m not aware of any bugs with sensitivity, however note that as a PIR, not VMD detection, different factors can have an effect on performance.

Sensitivity does not necessarily correlate with distance in the PIR settings, as only really angling the PIR sensor can limit distance definitively. Selecting low or very low will result in generally fewer detection events. The exact mechanism for this is not described. I would guess the heat signature disruption may need to last longer at lower levels.

With the HD I believe it was confirmed that motion must last roughly 7 seconds to trigger a recording. As an outdoor PIR can be hit by a lot of false trigger hazards, this is necessary.

With the HD I believe it was confirmed that motion must last roughly 7 seconds to trigger a recording. As an outdoor PIR can be hit by a lot of false trigger hazards, this is necessary.

This doesn’t appear to be in effect in the slim models on current firmware. Motion is detected immediately, resulting in excessive motion recording events.

This is the typical motion event recording on low sensitivity:

Click Link to watch: Doorbell cam motion video

Slim ADC-VDB106

After discussing with ADC we’re told they’ve seen similar issues a couple times and they were resolved by the following:

Try power cycling the doorbell - then set it to Very Low sensitivity. Test a few times. Does it record on motion close up within 6 feet or so? Try testing normal activity, for example, walking up to the door from the sidewalk, etc.

If that does not resolve the issue, Alarm.com reps recommend a factory reset. Detection range is typically up to 8 feet for the PIR. Have you measured the distance to the traffic which appears to be causing the false alarms? (It seems to obviously be the traffic given the video you linked)

Distance is well over 10’ to road. I think the large infared signature of the vehicles may be adversly affecting the PIR.

Ideally this could be resolved by having the motion event last 7sec or so to trigger recording. This is not occuring. Motion recording events are instant.

This also creates unneccesary recordings in that even before a doorbell button recording is triggered, a motion trigger recording has already started. Doubling the video capture events, and unnecessary recordings (2 recordings instead of one).

Already tried the power cycle,and very low sensitivity setting.

Very low is not an option on mobile app (website only). Setting to very low results in no detection at all. I don’t think very low is a valid setting.

Already tried the power cycle,and very low sensitivity setting.

From above, then it would be recommended to perform a factory reset as this would not be expected behavior per ADC.

Very Low has been an option prior to 3038 if I recall correctly.

Distance is well over 10′ to road. I think the large infared signature of the vehicles may be adversly affecting the PIR.

There are certainly limitations to where such a sensor will be effective. It may simply be that where it is mounted and the proximity of the street cause an unresolvable issue for the PIR. We’ll send the link to ADC to see if they think this can be filtered.

I’m trying to confirm the expected motion detection requirements as well in terms of time, as I did not think there was a difference between the HD and Slim Line there, though with the Slim line being ADC-only there may in fact be. Will post back here as soon as I get solid answers.

In the meantime, I would test a factory reset.

Very Low has been an option prior to 3038 if I recall correctly

Are you sure about that? The mobile app has 4 settings…alarm.com website has 4 settings (low,med,high,very high), but low sometimes becomes very low. What you suggest would require 5 settings. My understanding is that sensitivity went from 3 settings to 4 settings.

Setting very low (when it is not showing as low on alarm.com),does nothing, and motion detection doesn’t work at all.

Firmware 3038

. This upgrade includes a new option in the “Sensitivity to Motion” setting on the Alarm.com website. Users can now select the “Very High” option

I do not think ‘very low’ is a valid setting (notice both occupy same place on the slider). I am thinking there is a bug.

For example:

very low

low

Here are the other settings:

med

high

very high

Are you sure about that? The mobile app has 4 settings…alarm.com website has 4 settings (low,med,high,very high), but low sometimes becomes very low.

Setting very low (when it is not showing as low on alarm.com),does nothing, and motion detection doesn’t work at all.

Even firmware 3038 refers only to 4 very high (not very low). There are not 5 settings.

I do not think ‘very low’ is a valid setting.

Very low is referenced in ADC dealer documentation for the Slim Line, (Very Low, Low, Medium, and High) but this may be a mistake or it may have been removed previously. I’m seeing Low to Very High currently for the HD so it would make sense to match.

alarm.com website has 4 settings (low,med,high,very high), but low sometimes becomes very low.

To clarify here, you are saying that sometimes on the website the lowest setting is called very low and sometimes low? Any pattern to this? How do you see this additional Very Low setting? Is it random when using the slider?

What browser are you using?

I edited my above post…see the posted images. Refreshing the page is all it takes to see very low/low.

Setting to very low results in cam not detecting motion at all.

Chrome browser v65

Detection range is typically up to 8 feet for the PIR. Have you measured the distance to the traffic which appears to be causing the false alarms?

In regard to the motion video linked above…

Measured distance from cam to edge of sidewalk/road is exactly 27’ (so add approx 5’ for edge of road to Car in middle of road)…so approx 32’ from vehicle in road to cam.

I edited my above post…see the posted images. Refreshing the page is all it takes to see very low/low.

I see, then yes this is very likely a user website error showing an unused or previously removed value. We’ll let ADC know to resolve.

Regarding the issue with false detection on low, still confirming the motion requirements between the two models. Documentation of pre-trigger motion recording only references the HD, so there may in fact be a difference.

See post above. Measured distance from cam to vehicle exceeds 27’

Motion sensitivity on low.

Measured distance from cam to edge of sidewalk/road is exactly 27′ (so add approx 5′ for edge of road to Car in middle of road)…so approx 32′ from vehicle in road to cam.

PIR Sensitivity on low, is able to detect at a distance of 32′?

That seems highly unlikely. PIR range is about 8 feet. Unless the cars are somehow reflecting sunlight across the PIR consistently, maybe. Does this only happen around the same times of day?

You have a lot of examples of cars being the only visible motion in recordings? (Don’t need them, just curious how many)

All Day (yep. Daytime. Night captures are real capture events)

Nearly all the recorded motion vids are vehicles in the road in excessive of 27’ away.

Adding 7 sec continuous trigger to motion captures is the way to resolve this I think.

For example, on low, someone outside door on porch for excess of 6sec, who did not ring doorbell, should trigger a motion capture event.

Right now, soon as someone steps in range,motion recording starts, hit doorbell, another recording starts.

I don’t need 1 sec heat signatures/reflections triggering constant recordings.

Alright, I am told that 7 seconds of motion is actually how the Slim Line functions as well. What you are seeing is likely a symptom of an issue which has been noticed causing excessive motion triggers (triggers without apparent cause, as the vehicles should not affect the pir). You should not be seeing so many triggers on low sensitivity.

The HD version (where the issue was more prominent) received a firmware update to resolve this.

A test firmware version is available for the slim line I am told which has resolved excessive clips in the prior cases they have seen.

Would it be ok to send the test firmware update to the Slim line?

Would it be ok to send the test firmware update to the Slim line?

Yes. That would be great.