ADC-V721W PoE?

Does the ADC-V721W support PoE? I found the spec sheet but it does not say (which maybe means no).

Thanks,
Ben

It will support PoE if you add a PoE Injector or switch.

The ADC-V721W does not support PoE. It’s designed to be WIFI-only. It has a disclaimer that says “Must be wireless if outdoors to avoid water damage. Does not include an Ethernet jack.” The only Alarm.com cameras that support PoE are the ADC-V720, ADC-V820 & ADC-V700X.

It’s designed to be WIFI-only, no Ethernet...Does not include an Ethernet jack

All the WiFi ADC cameras support Ethernet connectivity to my knowledge. In fact, setup requires they be connected to LAN via Ethernet.

ADC-V721W data sheet:

Setting up an ADC-V721W is done via WPS or by connecting to the “setup” WIFI network it broadcasts and using it’s built-in installation web app at http://V721install to enter your WIFI network settings.

See at http://www.alarm.com/721help the section called “Wi-Fi access point mode installation instructions”.

WPS is a compromised protocol. No one should be using that. It fact, it should be disabled on router.

In December 2011 CERT issued Vulnerability Note VU#723755. This states that the Wi-Fi protected setup is susceptible to attack because of a basic design flaw. According to CERT they are “unaware of a practical solution to this problem.”

In September 2014 a security researcher, Dominique Bongard, demonstrated that WPS could also be cracked offline using a computer. This process extracts the third message from one failed access to the router. This number is used to decode the 8 digit pin for the wireless access point. Your access point no longer needs more than one unsuccessful log in to reveal it’s permanent secret code.

Reaver is a free software package available for download to attack this design flaw in Wi-Fi protected setup. Tactical Networks also has a complete kit of hardware and software available for $100 to compromise any access point or router using Wi-Fi protected setup.

That’s an old version of the ADC-721W data sheet. Here’s the new one.

ADC-V721W Tech Specs

ADC-V721W_datasheet_v2.pdf (238 KB)

Ahh. Thanks.

Still though, anyone who has a wireless router needs to completely disable WPS, which requires a firmware update (do not even turn it on one time, even if it shows as “off” you are still vulnerable) anyone within range of your SSID broadcast can use the free Reaver app from a mobile device, cell phone, or even a PC to completely compromise and gain permanent access to your entire home/business wireless network, and every device on it (including your ADC cameras) within on the average of less than 2 hours time.

Old thread, but, do you know of a converter to use just the power from a PoE cable to power the camera? Something like this? http://a.co/41u90Hz

The main thing that’s been keeping me from buying this is that I’ll have to run cable, and if I’m going to that hassle I want to run cat6 so I have flexibility in the future.

I have the same issue. PoE would make a huge difference.

I’ve not had reason to use one, but that product looks promising. I cannot vouch for it of course, but the specs look accurate and may be a good option if you do not intend to use wireless. (And that’s pretty affordable too)

Thanks Jason. To your knowledge do security cameras generally use the same DC power connector and amperage? Trying to determine if the plugs are likely to fit together, and if the power will match.

may be a good option if you do not intend to use wireless

I am assuming I would still need to use wireless for data, the v721w doesn’t have a RJ45, right?

Now that you mention it I’m a little confused about the v721w cable - seems to be a Y cable, one part is for power, what is the other part for?

This might be an even cheaper solution if one doesn’t already have a PoE switch (uses the stock DC adapter instead of a separate PoE injector) http://a.co/f0MXRca

I am assuming I would still need to use wireless for data, the v721w doesn’t have a RJ45, right?

Ah, yeah you’re right, old thread syndrome, wasn’t thinking about the question as specific to the V721W.

Thanks Jason. To your knowledge do security cameras generally use the same DC power connector and amperage? Trying to determine if the plugs are likely to fit together, and if the power will match.

While some cams will have terminal ports for bare wire, I’ve not yet encountered one that has a barrel plug where that barrel plug is not a standard 5.5mm size. (not that they don’t exist, I’m sure there are plenty) Power draw requirements will be different from camera to camera, and the V721W states 5W max consumption. (In general, make sure Voltage is identical, and current exceeds requirement.)

If you have no need for the network connection there would be no need to use POE devices or a video balun with the Cat cable. (those devices may not even use all pairs for power, which means voltage drop may be a bigger concern)

If the reason you want POE is to run Cat cable for future flexibility, probably best to just splice four conductors each to positive and negative on a couple of DC barrel pigtails.