ADC-T2000

How does this thermostat stack up against the likes of a nest?

I REALLY want to have everything live in the alarm.com app (As I like the thought of controlling the whole home from one app).

Having said that, I feel like the nest provides so much more that it might be OK to go outside of the environment (alarm.com) to have best in breed…

Anyone else have this conundrum? all in alarm.com vs. individual apps/products

Anyone else have this conundrum? all in alarm.com vs. individual apps/products

For sure, but I would frame it as “alarm.com vs another closed ecosystem”. Nest is its own closed ecosystem (which is part of Google’s ecosystem, kind of). Any closed ecosystem is going to have strengths and weaknesses, as well as varying integrations with other ecosystems.

Having said that, I feel like the nest provides so much more that it might be OK to go outside of the environment (alarm.com) to have best in breed…

Personally I don’t think the Nest thermostat is best of breed. It might provide more when comparing the standalone thermostats, but an ADC-T2000 that is part of an alarm.com system provides more. For example the Nest uses a built in motion sensor to try to determine occupancy, while the ADC-T2000 knows for certain whether the home is occupied because you arm the security system away when you leave. Also the ADC-T2000 supports remote temperature sensors so that you can, for example, optimize the temperature for bedrooms at night and living areas during the day.

You should also note that Alarm.com just announce Nest thermostat compatibility, so you can in face get a Nest thermostat if you want. I would have concerns about this through because you start to have ecosystem collision - you would have to bypass most of the intelligence that makes Nest cool since it would be controlled by Alarm.com, at the same time that you are losing extra features of the ADC-T2000 like remote temperature sensors.