ADC-T2000 with two stage or variable speed compressor

We have the ADC-T2000 with an old single stage compressor HVAC system. Works great, but one of the HVAC systems needs to be replaced. We’ve been having humidity issues as well, and I have been reading how two stage and variable speed compressors not only cut down your bill, but do a much better job at dehumidification. However, the vendors want to put in the manufacturer’s proprietary thermostat, which I doubt is supported by Alarm.com (e.g. Trane, Ruud, Lennox, …)

I’m wondering does the ADC-T2000 actually work with a two-stage or variable speed compressor as is? I can see it has humidity control, but assumed that was for a whole house dehumidifier (which we do not have).

I’m wondering does the ADC-T2000 actually work with a two-stage or variable speed compressor as is?

The short answer is maybe. It depends on what model of HVAC you are talking about.

It supports two stages, that’s not an issue. Variable speed units might not be supported. A lot of variable speed HVAC units use proprietary control methods for that speed control, and might use proprietary methods for other aspects as well.

Trane I think is a common example of that. Their variable speed fans are generally not compatible I believe. I don’t have a list to work off of though, unfortunately it is on a case by case basis for compatibility.

Two Stage: with a two stage system are you supposed to have explicit control over whether it’s running at Low or High? I don’t see any setting related to this in the panel or app.

Variable Speed: that makes sense, thank you

Typically you do not. If you are using a Heat Pump with an Aux heating stage you can manually turn on the second stage via EMER (emergency) heat mode. This will use that second stage immediately to heat up as fast as possible, but this is energy inefficient and costly compared to standard operation where the second stage only kicks in after a delay if the first stage isn’t enough.

1 Like