ADC Skybell Not Working Properly

Good afternoon,

I’m having problems with my Skybell. For a while, whenever I tried to love stream, it took a long time before the live stream showed on my phone. Then, the picture stopped showing altogether, but I would get some sound.

Today, I walked through the troubleshooting and reset both my router and the doorbell. Also, I updated the firmware. I am still having issues live streaming the video doorbell on my phone and on my Qolsys IQ 2+ panel.

What should I try next? Also, any news on the new ADC doorbell?

Thanks in advance!

Looking at the device reports, the wifi signal strength at the doorbell is very low, hovering around 50%-60%. That is low enough that I would expect issues more often than not.

Is it possible to position an access point closer to the doorbell to get a better connection?

No ETA yet on the new Alarm.com doorbell, although we expect it this year, and relatively soon.

Thanks for your quick response.

I’ve forgotten how to find which wifi network the doorbell is connected to…where do I go to see it? Or is it the same network as the panel?

We have our router in the basement and another access point via ethernet on the second level.

We are thinking of getting a mesh network system…that should help with all devices, right?

I’ve sent a private message with the SSID of the doorbell.

Mesh wifi systems usually do give you the ability to expand your wifi coverage easily, but we do have reports of issues in some isolated cases. The Netgear Orbi system is the primary culprit, we’ve received a handful of reports of camera connection issues and SVR issues which seem to be the result of LAN throttling or other automatic QOS setting.

Hey just an FYI I see that there is a new operations alert in Alarm.com’s dealer facing portal stating that they are aware of reports of a lot of Skybell connection issues, so you might be experiencing something in addition to the low signaling.

A thread has been created here. When resolved we will update!

Thank you!

Greetings. So I am looking into expanding wifi range in my house to keep speeds consistent throughout. I came here and ran various searches to see if a mesh wifi system creates issues with the surety/ADC systems. I am SO glad I checked here.

I have cameras and an SVR as well. And notice that you mentioned specifically the Orbi system being the culprit.

My questions:

1. Are there any other Wifi routers and/or extenders that can and do routinely cause issues with surety systems like mine?

2. Are there any routers/extenders/wifi mesh systems that your team prefers or find best suited for the security system?

3. Would it be ideal to get my own mesh system AND ALSO get the secure gateway you guys offer as a dedicated WAP for the cameras, so the third party router/extenders aren’t bogged down by the traffic, and the cameras aren’t skipping from one device to another for a connection? (which is another complaint I’ve seen in other threads on here)

4. And while I’m asking about the secure gateway you offer: I notice that the speed it promotes is 10 up and 100 down. Is that correct, or am I reading it wrong? If correct, would getting the secure gateway be crippling the cameras I have with the fiber speeds currently coming through my place? (WAY higher than 10/100)

5. Is it possible to dedicate the cameras to a third party extender or router and achieve the results of keeping the cameras from jumping between WAPs?

Thanks for all your help with these never ending questions.

Are there any other Wifi routers and/or extenders that can and do routinely cause issues with surety systems like mine?

The reports are not common enough to draw any other conclusions. Any mesh system can be affected at any time by a firmware update. The one we have had multiple similar reports from is Orbi.

Are there any routers/extenders/wifi mesh systems that your team prefers or find best suited for the security system?

The Smart Gateway is designed for this concern of compatibility, but it is not really designed to be powerful, it is more an assurance of convenience and reliability for the common 3-4 camera system. Users can change their own wifi around as desired and not affect the cameras.

If you want to have a wider network, you could do essentially the same thing with more control and greater range with a router you set as an access point with its own SSID and network key, dedicated to the surveillance network.

Mesh systems are designed for the other side of ease of use, for common home network devices and wifi from every corner of the house, but most also take away some measure of control from the user and you’ll probably experience bandwidth throttling with lots of devices.

I notice that the speed it promotes is 10 up and 100 down. Is that correct, or am I reading it wrong?

It does not have a gigabit ethernet port, it has a 10/100 ethernet connection. The Gateway is designed for use with up to 4 cameras. Any more will likely cause performance issues.

Is it possible to dedicate the cameras to a third party extender or router and achieve the results of keeping the cameras from jumping between WAPs?

Yes, with its own SSID and network key, and if range or number of cameras is a concern, this is probably the best choice.

Do you happen to have Comcast internet service and a rented modem?