A few questions about system design and monitoring

Hi, I’ve had a security system for the last decade or so, the last two being Visonic systems. After that control unit conked out again a couple of months ago I decided it was time to go in another direction. After much research, I think I want to go with a 2Gig system, and SuretyDIY seems to be a good alarm.com partner. For reference, I will want 4 door/window sensors and 2 motion detectors. I may will also want at least 1 remote keypad. I have a couple of few questions, and I’ll just fire away:

1. I have an old veralite system running on UI5. I'd like to make my new controller a secondary controller. I've seen reports of users doing this with the Go!Control but not the newer GC3. Can anyone confirm this will work with either one of these units? I'd like to go newer, but it is more important to me that it be able to be a secondary controller to my veralite as I have an extensive z-wave setup that I'd like to integrate, primarily with my z-wave light switches, and potentially my z-wave door locks (Yale YRD210)
  2. With the 24/7 monitoring package in the event of an alarm is there a contact list or a person called before calling police/emergency services to cut down on false alarms?
  3. In order to use z-wave at all (assuming it works as a secondary controller) do I have to purchase the gold package?
  4. I see the best prices on ebay. Is it safe to buy all my equipment there? Are there things I should look out for (aside from the regular shady sellers you always have watch out for)? Is there some equipment I'd be better off buying from the monitoring service like maybe the cellular module?
  5. What benefits would I get with monitoring/capabilities if I purchase Does the Go! Bridge IP Communicator? Would it just serve as a secondary connection to the monitoring service?

Thanks for your help in advance!

I have an old veralite system running on UI5. I’d like to make my new controller a secondary controller. I’ve seen reports of users doing this with the Go!Control but not the newer GC3.

Yes the Veralite can be used with the 2GIG Go!Control this thread will explain in more detail. We have not been able to corroborate the GC3 and the Vera working together completely, although some users have had limited success.

With the 24/7 monitoring package in the event of an alarm is there a contact list or a person called before calling police/emergency services to cut down on false alarms?

Yes this is possible. You can specify your primary and secondary contacts to be contacted first, prior to dispatch, in some cases. This thread here goes over call list procedures for various alarm types. Keep in mind, Fire alarms necessitate a location number or 2-way communication to achieve this, otherwise fire will be dispatched then contacts called.

In order to use z-wave at all (assuming it works as a secondary controller) do I have to purchase the gold package?

Z-wave will still work through the panel but in order to utilize remote control (ie Alarm.com rules/scenes and remote functionality through the ADC app) the Gold Interactive Package will be required.

I see the best prices on ebay. Is it safe to buy all my equipment there?

You’re always taking a gamble on purchasing used devices, so you’ll want to ensure that the buyer is trustworthy (good feedback, been on eBay for over a year etc.)

However, avoid purchasing ADC compatible cameras and Cellular Modules from eBay. All too often these devices are still linked to an existing Alarm.com account and will be unusable. Furthermore, getting them unregistered is only possible by the dealer who has control of the Alarm.com account they are linked too.

I’d recommend you buy new when it comes to those items. You don’t have to buy from suretyDIY in order to use the items but you’ll want to ensure that they are going to work prior to purchase (unregistered and Alarm.com compatible). Using this Module Check Tool can help determine if the Cellular Module is unregistered and ADC compatible.

What benefits would I get with monitoring/capabilities if I purchase Does the Go! Bridge IP Communicator? Would it just serve as a secondary connection to the monitoring service?

The Go!Bridge only works with the GC2 (and will also require the 2GIG XCVR to function). In addition to upervision using signal-forwarding to the Central Station, the Go!Bridge allows for free OTA firmware updates for the GC2 and remote commands should see a quicker response time compared to systems without the Go!Bridge.

Thank you for the detailed information and quick response. I think I have all the information I need to make a purchasing decision. If I do buy from ebay, I look for reputable sellers who are selling new equipment, but still stay away from the cell modules (no need for cameras - I have an good separate video surveillance system setup already).