2nd generation Aeotec Door/Window Z-Wave Sensor ERROR

Hey guys,

Tried to install this sensor (several times) http://aeotec.com/homeautomation and keep getting an error (see attached pix). Is this particular Aeotec z-wave sensor not compatible w/2gig? Also, I tried the SmartThings Multi-sensor as well just for fun but also had an error. LMK your thoughts about these or if I’m exceeding some kind of sensor/z-wave device limit I’m unaware of. -thx

image2-2.jpg

Z-wave sensors will not be compatible with the 2GIG panel (or any other) at this time. In general sensor type Z-wave device command classes are not supported.

Okay - Good to know, thx Jason.

So is that also true if paired as a second controller w/Vera or SmartThings? In other words, if I have existing z-wave devices including door/window (open/close) sensors on those hubs will they (specifically door/window) not appear via ADC?

ADC will only see what the panel is compatible with. If the panel is not compatible with the command class of the device, it won’t work.

You would still be able to use it with the alternate primary controller though.

Bummer but thx for info. Had know idea, so better to know now then after being “all in” with additional controller and z-wave sensors.

Jason, When you replied to Joe you indicated the following:

Z-wave sensors will not be compatible with the 2GIG panel (or any other) at this time. In general sensor type Z-wave device command classes are not supported.

This is news to me…According to the 2gig GC3 literature, the panel is supposed to support up to 232 Z-wave devices. So what type of devices are they referring to? Is support only available for output devices such as a siren or a light bulb?

andesite7,

FWIW: I personally have a couple deadbolts, somfy shades, dimmer modules and energy switches all working great on ADC. It appears compatibility is specifically related to door/window sensors and maybe even motion PIR I’d assume but Jason can be more exact.

So Jason does that mean even 2GIGs own WADWAZ-1 z-wave door/window sensor http://www.gocontrol.com/detail.php?productId=14 won’t work on its own panel? If so that seems kinda goofy.

This is news to me…According to the 2gig GC3 literature, the panel is supposed to support up to 232 Z-wave devices.

It does. I am specifically referring to sensing devices. It is not compatible with door/window, motion, or other Z-wave sensors.

Compatible type devices are thermostats, door locks, light switches and other binary switches, power meter, etc.

So Jason does that mean even 2GIGs own WADWAZ-1 z-wave door/window sensor http://www.gocontrol.com/detail.php?productId=14 won’t work on its own panel? If so that seems kinda goofy.

It does not.

The reason in large part for this is the fact that until very recently Z-wave did not have UL certification for security applications. Z-wave plus improved reliability and effective range of radios and I think this went a long way to rectifying that. If I had to guess, if a panel was going to be compatible with Z-wave sensors in the future, it is more likely to be the GC3, but that part is speculation.

2GIG has been branching out with their product line (they make video products that aren’t ADC compatible either, at least right now) and I would bet that any Z-wave sensors they brand would be in anticipation of future use. However, as of now, no, sensor type Z-wave devices are not compatible.