2GIG Wireless Glass Break False Alarm Reduction?

I had a glass break sensor false alarm last weekend and wanted to know if there are any ways of tuning it or altering the sensitivity. It is a 2GIG Wireless Glass Break Detector (2GIG-GB1-345). Any suggestions on how to reduce the chance of a false alarm with this sensor would be much appreciated.

Thanks for getting the thread started, Dexter.

I have a 95lb black lab whose bark is the most likely suspect. Any ideas of sensor relocation or modification or should I fetch another type of sensor?

There are no adjustable settings for the 2GIG Glass Break, unfortunately.

A couple quick questions. Do you have dogs? And was the alarm armed in “Away” or “Stay” mode?

We’ve found with the later, that programming a glass break as “interior follower” rather than “perimeter” helps avoid “Stay” false alarms in situations such as when kids are playing loudly. The reason for the former question is that dogs sometimes are able to mimic the glass break sounds of a combined crashing sound and a thud from jumping while barking.

Ah. Looks like posts passing in the night. :wink:

That would be the problem. If your dog has been able to set it off, unless there is an area in the house more isolated from the dog, in which the sensor is still useful, this sensor is likely to continue to cause trouble.

Dog barking is a fairly consistent issue with the 2GIG glassbreaks. The Honeywell 5853 allows you to set sensitivity which can drastically reduce the likelihood of false alarms.

Unfortunately, moving the sensor would only work if the dog was kept out of that room of the house, but if your family is anything like mine, your dog is king of the castle.

The sensor is in the living room as we have 7 or so fixed position windows. I think it is fairly safe to assume this event occurred when the dog was startled by someone knocking at the door.

Maybe I’ll test this scenario when the system is disarmed to see what happens.

Seems like the most straightforward option is a different glass break sensor. Does anyone have experience with the Honeywell 5853 and large dogs? I would hate to spend another ~$75 and continue to have false alarms.

Aside from buying another sensor does anyone have other ideas? Do the shock sensors work well when placed between windows or are they a per-pane solution? At 7 windows that path might get spendy. The only other thing I can think of is to mount a motion sensor where it is pointed directly at the windows and hope for the best. Ideas?

From what you described, I would suggest not getting the shock sensors for a couple of reasons.

1. The shock sensors are a per-pane solution, which as you’ve noted, can get pretty pricey with 7 windows.
  2. If your dog is jumping against the window, it may create enough of a shock to trigger the alarm.

I would suggest getting the Honeywell 5853. We’ve had customers in the past with a similar situation switch to those and have been successful in reducing or even eliminating false alarms by adjusting the sensitivity of the device.