2GIG Tilt Sensor programming

I am trying to set up a 2GIG Tilt Sensor with my GC2 for use on my mailbox as an announce only function. I confirmed that my panel is running firmware version 1.14.0.2. I was able to “learn in” the serial number and the panel recognizes the sensor. It works fine and alerts for the tamper function but doesn’t announce the actual “tilt” function. I have set the options as follows:
(23) no response type
(1) contact
(1062) 2GIG Tilt sensor
(0) new
loop (2)
dialer delay disabled
voice descriptor “outside sensor”
sensor reports enabled
supervised enabled
(13) chime with voice #2

I am stumped as to why it won’t work. Any ideas?

Okay. After a little tinkering, I got it working… sort of but not fully. I changed the setting to loop (1). Now it will announce the tilt but only after the sensor has been tilted for about 5 seconds. That means if my mailman opens the mailbox, puts the mail in, and closes the mailbox in less than 5 seconds, I get no announcement. I can’t find a setting that gets rid of this delay. Help and thank you.

Loop 1 would be correct. Note that the tilt sensor must be mounted vertically. Arrows indicate the top of the sensor.

It will only trip when tilted past 45 degrees.

Are you testing the device when installed, or just by holding the device and tilting it? Is there any difference in response between holding and tilting it and testing while mounted?

Hi Jason,

Thanks for your response.I am aware of the arrow and mounting position. I have held it vertically in hand and tipped it back beyond 45 degrees (can hear and feel the tilt switch within) all the way to 90 degrees to simulate the mailbox (or garage) door and hold it there. The time from reaching the trip point to triggering the audible announcement varies from 3.5 to 5 seconds. If the sensor is returned to vertical during that 3.5-5 second gap, no audible announcement ever occurs despite the sensor having gone past 45 degrees. I have also “simulated” this on my child’s lunch box with the exact same results. The problem comes in the fact that a mailman can easily open the mailbox door, put the mail in, and close it in less than 4 seconds and I get no notification. My goal is to have the audible announcement immediately upon passing 45 degrees without the delay in the same manner as my door/window sensor does on doors set to chime.
-Todd

I have held it vertically in hand and tipped it back beyond 45 degrees (can hear and feel the tilt switch within)

I’m not sure it matters on that model, but when tipping it, you say tipping “back” Does this mean you are tipping it onto the flat of its rear mounting side? Try tipping forward the opposite way. Any difference that is noticeable?

I’m tipping it back the same way it would if it were mounted to the top panel of a garage door. If you tip it “forward” from the vertical it never triggers which it shouldn’t. I made a 2 minute video demonstrating the problem and uploaded it to my google drive. Here’s the link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qAZlwPvUMaEoze0GXAx6IPhs0jOII4pQ/view?usp=sharing

Hmm, interesting, thank you for the video. I do not recall this but I do not have one of that model in front of me to test. I will contact 2GIG and see if this is expected or if that unit is malfunctioning.

Tilt sensors do suffer from some false activation concerns and requiring a tilt for a certain time period to confirm would be a good resolution for garage doors, but the manual does not allude to this at all, so it is unlikely. Of course the manual does not mention the loop either.

I can tell you that I have a second sensor of the same model and it exhibits the exact same behavior. I was just hoping there was a setting somewhere to eliminate the delay. If not, it is actually not a good choice for mailboxes as they say.

Just curious, do you know if the tilt sensor manufactured by Resolution (I think it’s the RE-206) has the same delay built in?

I can tell you that I have a second sensor of the same model and it exhibits the exact same behavior. I was just hoping there was a setting somewhere to eliminate the delay. If not, it is actually not a good choice for mailboxes as they say.

I see. Yeah that is likely a feature then. There are no settings for that that I am aware. And nothing in the manual indicates any switches or adjustments possible on the sensor.

Just curious, do you know if the tilt sensor manufactured by Resolution (I think it’s the RE-206) has the same delay built in?

No, the RE206 from experience does not have that delay. It announces when activated.

I’ve got a 2GIG GC3 and tried installing the tilt sensor on my unit. The firmware is 3.0.1 or something like that. Does the Small 345 mghz sensor work with that unit? Couldn’t get it to work!

Full support for the 2GIG-TILT1-345 was introduced in GC3 firmware 3.1.1.

You can find firmware notes and links here.