2GIG Speaker Pop Before Sound

Hello, and I apologize in advance if this has been gone over previously. After updating to the latest firmware, I noticed an odd occurrence with my 2GIG GO Control panel. Right before it makes any noise you get a slight pop sound. It has made this noise in the past, but only when running on battery power. Now it is making it regardless of power input.

Recent Changes Made:
*Updated firmware from whatever it was (1.9.4?) to “latest” available (1.13)
*Opened the panel for the first time since install (~3 years ago)
*Changed from a 2G modem to a 3G modem
*Disconnected battery (as part of the firmware update process) for the first time since install

Symptom seemed to start after first power disconnect, but may have been after firmware upgrade. I cannot be sure.

This is in no way a functional problem… just really annoying.

Thoughts?

thoughts?

Defective.

I do not notice it myself much anymore, but by default (I think it was an across the board change with firmware) at this point the speaker will turn off when it is not in use by the panel. This used to be an option through the dealer tools.

The pop you hear is likely an artifact due to power on.

Thanks Jason. That links up with my understanding of why it would only happen (previously) on battery power.

Is this a setting I can tweak, or just learn to live with it?

How prominent is this sound?

In the past, turning the speaker off when not in use was a resolution for cellular data static produced by the speaker. It is no longer a configurable option through Alarm.com.

Not prominent at all. I would say half to a quarter of volume of the actual chime.

If it is not configurable I will just change the alarm not to make a sound when I press the keys, which should prevent it from happening so much.

If it is not configurable I will just change the alarm not to make a sound when I press the keys, which should prevent it from happening so much.

This is, unfortunately, not a configuration option with the 2GIG panel. It has been much requested.

The only way to do it is to disconnect the speaker connector, but then you should use TS1’s or zwave sirens/stobes throughout home. you will lose 2 way voice capability.

I have only had one panel that constantly “popped” and it was defective (bad speaker or board, or short). It was a used, second hand Vivint branded panel with an older hardware revision. The older panels had a different speaker setup that was later changed. you can tell if you have an older revision because It will look like this (the lower one with finger on speaker, is the first revision with POTS removed, and the one with the audible popping):

as you can see, the newer panels, are different: