2GIG-SP2-GC3 Firware

I just installed the new Secondary Panel (SP2) from 2GIG and it seems very buggy.

For example; You can set how many seconds or minutes of inactivity before shutting off the screen. The screen goes blank once the timeframe has elapsed but a few seconds later it turns the screen on… it then goes off again when the timer amount has elapsed, and then a few seconds later turns it back on again. Basically, an endless loop.

I currently have to power off the panel to avoid this crazy loop problem.

I am currently running Firmware 1.1.221.

Can you check to see if there are aware of this problem and to see if there is a newer version of firmware that I can install.

There are other bugs but this one is the worst.

Thank you

I think I have a defective panel. I just tried another panel and it seems to be working OK.

As such, I need to investigate further.

Help. My second SP2 panel started doing the same thing and I think I have identified what is causing the problem.

I have Honeywell 5898 Wireless Motion Detectors installed throughout my house. They are programmed in the GC3 master panel as “04-Interior Follower” type sensors. If my GC3 panel is in Disabled mode(not active) or in Stay Mode and I then happen to walk by one of these motion sensors, the GC3 master panel wakes up the SP2 panel and the SP2 turns the screen on. Ugh…

Do you know if there is a setting in the GC3 master panel to fix this from happening or if this is an identified bug with a firmware fix? I just can not image why it should or why anyone would want it to work this way.

I happen to have installed a SP2 panel in my Master bedroom. If I get up in the middle of the night and start walking around the house, the SP2 panel lights up. The wife is not happy.

Appreciate your help.

Thank you

Where are you ordering these things? I have been dying for a second panel but I didnt see they were actually released.

Where are you ordering these things? I have been dying for a second panel but I didnt see they were actually released.

The SP2 should be available on our store shortly.

I have Honeywell 5898 Wireless Motion Detectors installed throughout my house. They are programmed in the GC3 master panel as “04-Interior Follower” type sensors. If my GC3 panel is in Disabled mode(not active) or in Stay Mode and I then happen to walk by one of these motion sensors, the GC3 master panel wakes up the SP2 panel and the SP2 turns the screen on. Ugh..
I just can not image why it should or why anyone would want it to work this way.

I can’t imagine a reason to want this either, I think it is a bug, but yes, you are correct as of 3.0.2 and the SP2 launch firmware sensor activity does wake the screen. The same occurs on mine here.

This cannot be turned off at this time, but 2GIG has received this feedback from others as well I’m told and will hopefully be addressing it in firmware soon. There is no firmware ETA yet.

In the meantime, it might be best to use it outside of a sleeping area if the light is distracting.

Ordered from all2gig.com.

My wife has been complaining ever since I purchased the GC3 that the LED buttons keep her awake all night… I had to do something, so as soon as I saw one available I purchased it.

Unfortunately, the panel turning back on when I go by a motion sensor has made things even worse.

Appreciate all your help.

Do you know if this will require a firmware change at the GC3 (maybe fixed in firmware V3.1?) or the SP2? Also, do you think they will address this for sure in a future (hopefully sooner than later release or should I just give up on this panel?

Thanks again…

Just out of curiosity, what other bugs are you seeing? Trying to decide if I should pick this up as a separate keypad for a basement door…

I could not say with 100% certainty, but I would say it is pretty close to 100%. I would not want the keypad to react that way.

It may have just been something that could not be patched out before a release deadline, but that is speculation. I would anticipate it getting patched.

I do not know whether it would be GC3 or SP2 getting patched directly. I’ll prod some folks at 2GIG to see if we can get an expectation.

Thank you Jason. I would greatly appreciate if you would let me know what you find out from the 2gig folks.

In relation to other bugs, I have found two thus far;

1. Multiple errors, etc. when first connecting over wifi to the GC3. I think this will get better and easier to do once the GC3 Firmware V3.1 rolls out. The SP2 docy references a different pairing process if the GC3 is running firmware V3.1. To get around these errors, I just kept trying a few times until I got it to work. Not that big of a deal because once connected you do not have to do this again.

2. If you power off the panel, which I currently do at night to avoid the panel display problem discussed above, and then power it back on, you get network errors. If you do not do what it tells you to do (i.e. pair up the panel again) and just wait a bit, it connects up fine on its own.

Except for these items, it seems to be working fine (so far) and I like the panel a lot. To me the big problem and a must fix, is the panel flipping on and off for no good reason. This needs to be fixed quickly.

Assuming they fix the panel display on and off problem, I would buy this panel again. It is simple and does exactly what I am looking for it to do.

Jason,

Were you able to obtain any additional info from the 2GIG folks? i.e. Is a patch required to the SP2 or GC3 or both to fix this problem and a timeframe for resolution?

I would think that a good number of people have motion sensors and are/will be encountering the same problem.
As such, 2Gig should want to resolve this problem quickly.

Thanks

No, 2GIG could not give ETA or details yet on a patch, though I would anticipate it being released in a standard development cycle update, not as an emergency update. I don’t ever remember 2GIG releasing a quick change in that fashion.

Unfortunately it may take a little time for this change. I hope it is soon as well, but I want to give an accurate expectation.

We always forward user concerns to the manufacturer and they indicated they’ve received this feedback already, so I would imagine it being addressed sooner than later.

Warren,

Appreciate you looking into this. Thanks

Guess I have to hope the fix is bundled in GC3 V3.1 of firmware that is due out soon. Otherwise, it may be a while… Ugh.

You would think that more people will be complaining about this problem as they start purchasing this product. It is a pretty negative issue to have associated with a new product rollout. I am very surprised 2GIG overlooked this scenario.

Thanks again and appreciate if you could let me know if you hear anything new.

Of course! We will follow up with any updates here. Always feel free to follow up with us as well.

A month has passed and still no fix/patch from 2gig for the 2gig-sp2-gc3 panel screen turning back on when you walk by a motion sensor.

Have you or can you get an update from 2gig if this will require a firmware change at the GC3 main panel(maybe fixed in firmware V3.1?) or the SP2 panel? and when?

2gig previously announced that the GC3 V3.1 firmware update was supposed to be released in the May timeframe and now it is July? They seem to be very slow on releasing new firmware and products. Not good.

Appreciate your help.

Thank you

Have you or can you get an update from 2gig if this will require a firmware change at the GC3 main panel(maybe fixed in firmware V3.1?) or the SP2 panel? and when?

We’ve not heard word yet, but we will reach out again to see if there is any news.

2gig previously announced that the GC3 V3.1 firmware update was supposed to be released in the May timeframe and now it is July? They seem to be very slow on releasing new firmware and products.

The more that gets added compatibility wise the more QC is needed. We can’t speak for the manufacturer, and we do not have an ETA, 3.0.2 is the latest currently, but panel updates do take time, especially when containing multiple or major changes. We’ll see if we can get word on whether a change for this behavior is included, however 2GIG engineers will typically not discuss forthcoming changes until they are ready. In the meantime, it is probably best to use the SP2 outside of a sleeping area.

2GIG states that the fix will likely be through an SP2 update (applied via USB, micro USB on the back) but that it is expected in the next update as it is a known issue.

Appreciate the update. Thank you

Did they give you any idea as to when the SP2 next update might be released (very soon, a ways out, etc.)??

My concern is that 2gig firmware releases have been taking a very long time.

The SP2 product is a pretty simple product so I am hoping it might come out sooner than later.

Thanks again for all the help.

Did they give you any idea as to when the SP2 next update might be released (very soon, a ways out, etc.)??

No, 2GIG typically does not announce firmware ETA. Unfortunately no ETA is available at this time, but that doesn’t mean a lot. Firmware could still be out tomorrow without an ETA. I would expect it to take a little while though as they address initial feedback and patch.

Just checking.

Have you heard any news/update on a firmware update for the SP2? I purchased two of them 5 months ago and have both of them turned off due to software bugs.

I keep hoping they will come out with a firmware update soon. Over the past year+, 2GIG has been very slow to come out with software updates for their products. Very frustrating especially when they release new products with a number of software bugs. Getting very concerned about them as a vendor.

Thank you

Over the past year+, 2GIG has been very slow to come out with software updates for their products. Very frustrating especially when they release new products with a number of software bugs. Getting very concerned about them as a vendor.

We’re happy to check if there is any update or ETA from 2GIG and report back what we hear. We will update this thread with today’s response when techs are available there.

From experience, the pace at which firmware has been released recently is no real different than at any point in the past 6 years of development across 2GIG panels. We’re very excited for product updates, but firmware development and testing takes time, and in this case 2GIG historically has not released quick patches for individual issues. Issues are addressed in major firmware releases. Secondary keypads also do not see firmware as frequently as the primary panel.

That said, I do also hope to see an update soon, and we are happy to forward all concerns and see if we can get an accelerated response.