2gig Smoke detector replacement

Hi, I have to replace 2 CO and 1 Smoke detector on my 2gig system. The smoke began the chirp of death 2 years before the expiration date on the sticker. Any idea why that might be?

Anyway, I see the update model on your site. Do you sell the encrypted model? Any reason to go encrypted vs non-encrypted?

Thank you!

Is the yellow LED blinking every 4, 8, or 12 seconds?

Alarm Trouble: When the alarm has a general fault, the yellow LED blinks once every four seconds and there is a chirp every 48 seconds. After 4 hours the 2GIG Control Panel displays a loss of supervision message.

Alarm Dirty Feature: When the alarm has been contaminated, the yellow LED blinks once every 8 seconds and there is a chirp every 48 seconds. After 4 hours the 2GIG Control Panel displays a loss of supervision message.

Low Battery Detection: The Wireless Smoke/Heat Alarm is powered by 3 AAA batteries. The alarm regularly checks for a low battery. If a low battery is detected, the transmitter sends a low battery message to the 2GIG Control Panel, that displays the alarm’s ID at low battery. In addition, the yellow LED of the alarm blinks every 12 seconds. The alarm’s sounder chirps every 48 seconds (yellow LED continues to blink) until the batteries are replaced. Pressing the hush button silences the chirping for 12 hours if no other trouble conditions exist. Replace the batteries when the chirping begins. Replace the old batteries with new ones.

Hi Roy,

I’m getting the 8 sec flash and 48 sec chirp. I have tried blowing out the sensor chamber with canned air, but no luck. I guess it is time for replacement, correct? Just too bad since it doesn’t expire until 2022! Does 2gig warranty these at all?

If I need to replace it, is the updated model on your site the encrypted model? Any reason to go encrypted vs non-encrypted?

Thanks!

End user warranty is set by the vendor where you purchase your equipment. There is a 2 year manufacturer’s warranty on the SMKT3, but an SMKT3 expiring in 2022 would be about 8 years old.

If you are unable to get rid of the alarm dirty malfunction by cleaning it would be necessary to replace the sensor.

Do you have a new GC3e encrypted panel? Encrypted 2GIG sensors can only be used with the e-series panels with transceivers that support encryption.

If you have the original GC3 e-series sensors would not be compatible.

The SMKT8 (current model of smoke detector) is not encrypted.

Hi Jason,

Thank you. Yes, I have a GC3e. What is the advantage of an encrypted vs non-encrypted SMKT8?

Thank you!

The benefit of encryption would be the same regardless of sensor type and would ensure that the contents of the sensor transmission is readable only by the panel. This is effective at blocking spoofing attempts.

Thank you, Jason. Will the SMKT8e be available through Surety?

David, currently we do not stock the e-series panels or sensors. I don’t have an ETA on their possible addition at this time but I will forward this to the team as a request for those in the store!

The models of 2GIG sensors in our store are the standard non-encrypted versions.