2Gig Power Lost notification

I have a fridge on a GFCI outlet, and a 2Gig control panel. I would like to receive a notification (or run an emPower rule) when the fridge loses power. Any suggestions on how to accomplish this?

Looking over alarm.com, there doesn’t appear to be a way to setup a Rule based on something losing power. There is a notification for “The battery is low in one of my devices” or “One of my devices” malfunctions, so I could get an email if any device (non-specific) loses power.

So I think there are three different approaches I could take:
1 - find a compatible sensor or device that plugs into an outlet - it would be just a canary. Leverage the notifications for when a non-specific device malfunctions.

2 - find or jury rig a sensor that trips when power is lost.

3 - custom programming. I know Aeon Labs sells some smart switches that you plug into an outlet, and have advanced logic and features in a full z-wave system, but in the 2Gig system there is no event when light switches lose power. Maybe I can learn how to do custom programming and write a monitor service. In fact, given the extremely limited “programming” available from emPower, I am interested in finding out more about how to do this anyways.

1 – find a compatible sensor or device that plugs into an outlet – it would be just a canary. Leverage the notifications for when a non-specific device malfunctions.

This would not be very reliable as an option. Malfunction notifications aren’t generally intended to be on the spot, and you might have a power outage for hours before knowing, or even days if no communication tries to go to the switch.

3 – custom programming. I know Aeon Labs sells some smart switches that you plug into an outlet, and have advanced logic and features in a full z-wave system, but in the 2Gig system there is no event when light switches lose power. Maybe I can learn how to do custom programming and write a monitor service. In fact, given the extremely limited “programming” available from emPower, I am interested in finding out more about how to do this anyways.

This would branch off from #1, as the device would essentially just be monitored for malfunctions. However, unless your Z-wave network is rock solid, you may be plagued with false positives, depending on how often you poll.

2 – find or jury rig a sensor that trips when power is lost.

This is likely the winner. This could be wired to a DW10-345 to monitor power loss. Using a sensor instead of a Z-wave device will result in immediate and more specific notifications. You could create activity monitoring notifications to know exactly when it opens (loses power) and sensor left open notifications to remind you if power has been out for a certain length of time, as well as a restoral when power is re-applied.

This is likely the winner. This could be wired to a DW10-345 to monitor power loss. Using a sensor instead of a Z-wave device will result in immediate and more specific notifications. You could create activity monitoring notifications to know exactly when it opens (loses power) and sensor left open notifications to remind you if power has been out for a certain length of time, as well as a restoral when power is re-applied.

You are suggesting that I use a door contact sensor and get it to report “open” when power is lost, and “closed” when power is on. How would I go about doing that?

EDIT: I just found a Power Loss Sensor on Amazon that has dry contact outputs. Is this something that could be connected to the wired inputs on the DW10-345?

EDIT: I just found a Power Loss Sensor on Amazon that has dry contact outputs. Is this something that could be connected to the wired inputs on the DW10-345?

That’d be the one I linked in the response above. :slight_smile:

Yes, you would use the form C relay to trip the sensor’s hardwired Loop 1 input when the power is lost to the GFI receptacle.

It’s the most reliable solution by far.

Lol, didn’t notice the link. I will try this.

Thanks!

How do I wire these together?

The DW10-345 has a 2-pin connector for external input. So there are two wires.

The Power Loss Sensor has three wires:

• Yellow = N/C
  • White = N/O
  • Black = C

Also, the DW10-345 normally uses loop 2 for the magnet, but there are 3 loops available. When using external input, is it still loop 2?

Thanks

Normally Closed and Common terminals should be used. (N/C, and C)

The DW10 uses loop 1 for the wired input.

That works perfectly - thank you!

Good to hear! We are always happy to help.